Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver - What's it good for?

Gee, silver goes up and down in value. Tell me something I didn't know. So picking your starting point can prove or disprove whatever viewpoint one wishes to express. What I do know is that silver in my lifetime silver has going from use as everyday coins of the realm, worth fractions of a dollar, to now worth 20 times face. Such a poor investment, I guess.

Perhaps buying high and selling low is not always a great way to invest. That seems to be the conclusion of the author. What do you think? Smart? Or maybe not buying (or even selling) when price is out of align high and waiting until price return to a low might be better. No, that would require thinking. Something not permitted these days of social justice and equality. Or even if you take the chart provided in that article and track silver price since 1990, the results would be different than the conclusion provided in the article. Nope, lets pick the worse enter point and use that. Yeah, that's sound great to me.

So let fake some results for Bitcoin. What's the chart for Bitcoin look like since 1-1-2022? It seems Bitcoin has been a great investment since the beginning of the year! Something like $60K a coin back then and around $30K now. I guess everyone needs to invest in Bitcoin and stay away from silver? Or maybe we want to sell our silver and invest in Twitter stock? Or Peloton? How's have they done as an investment? Yummy! Their chart over the period I've picked show them to be tasty investments. Not.

Statistics don't lie but liars use statistics.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Cryptocurrencies have less intrinsic value than a tulip.

The dollar isn't going to go down easy. Until it dies, silver has to be suppressed.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

To everybody his, but reality tells me the purchasing value of my fixed income pension is sinking over time, no statistics needed.

I just throw all other blabber over board.

Golditiki2+++

For the OP>> silver is good for practicing manual dexterity.

Thomas Jefferson is credited with writing, “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” The seceding states in the Civil War period issued a similar declaration using the word “tyranny” as opposed to “injustice.”

Solar panels. Electroplating. Cars have about an ounce in them. This is a good resource for understanding silver in industry.

https://www.silverinstitute.org/

Investment demand, ehh, it's all about buying low, selling high. I sold a little early last year, and should have done same this year.

Aggregate demand is about a billion ounces a year now, but always getting easier to sift out of the dirt so it seems. Base metals have been a better investment, lithium probably best, if you can call that a metal.

SILVER......Is awesome when selling for $50/oz...........Not so great historically when buying for $50/oz...........Kinda like what longdon said.....Bitcoin is great selling for 67K ....Not so great buying for 67K
    Sour grapes has a tendency to corrupt an opinion !

Ag guy
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Today's Wall Street Journal front page stories include:

"SoftBank Records Biggest Annual Loss Ever"

"Stablecoin Crash Shakes Crypto: 'Run on the Bank'"

"Finland Moves to join NATA Without Delay"

"Ukrainian Forces Hold Line In Donbas, Thwarting Russia"

"World Feels the Pain Of China's Slowdown"

And the question on the table is what good is silver? Huh?
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Angry Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post

My understanding Ag does not read....

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post

How many similar news events have occurred in the past forty years since silver peaked at fifty an ounce back in 1980 or so? Or have occurred since silver moved up to forty nine plus back in the spring of 2011? Or have occurred since silver went to thirty a few months ago? I still have silver coins and will continue to own them despite it all, although I now fully realize that silver is not a good investment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast