Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gainesville Coins Endless Countdown "Sale"?

Default Gainesville Coins Endless Countdown "Sale"?

They have it for gold too. The countdown timer sale is a shady sales tactic precisely because almost all sites that use it have an endless "sale". It said "sold out" today for like a couple hours with even "4% remaining" and then reset. Been watching it for a couple weeks. It just resets. The timer creates false urgency.

What do you guys think of this?

I have a picture to upload but for some reason I can't insert an image.

endless countdown sale

I am truly shocked! I have also heard the places that sell mattresses lower the prices before a holiday so they can advertise they dropped prices for a sale over the holiday.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Not sure why you have to be sarcastic about it. The point is it has nothing to do with holidays or special occasions. The "sale" is never actually over for any meaningful length of time. Its just their regular price pretending to be a discounted price.

It's been a long time since I've seen a real sale on silver. Back in 2018 or 2019 there were some real sales with premiums of under $0.25/oz or $0.47/oz for silver and that I thought were real sales.

I don't buy collector coins, I buy bullion. Bullion is bullion. Silver is silver and gold is gold. Nothing rare about the imprint on one vs. the next one. When I have fiat burning a hole in my pocket I'll search all the online dealers and compare the best price against what I think I can purchase locally. Depending upon which dealer is lowest and how good that price is I either buy or go back to holding my fiat.
    SHOP!

I'm buying ounces of PM, not a bird, fish or ugly old woman's face. Most times I don't care is PM is on sale or full price. What I do look for the cheapest price I can find and decide if I'm willing to buy at that time for that price. The sales BS is just that, BS. Don't fall for any crap.

Same thing with buying a car. You are in control unless you let the BS get to you. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. I've walked out of a car dealership 3 times over a period of weeks trying to buy a car for what I wanted to pay for it. Last time with a newspaper ad from a different dealer that had the car I wanted at a price I was willing to pay and my local dealer refused to match. Later that day I went home with the car from the other dealership. And on the way home I drove it through the lot of my local dealer just to let them know their BS cost them a sale. One day sale. BS. Low, low prices. BS. We'll match any price. Deep BS. Either they are willing to deal or it's all BS.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

I rarely buy on-line, instead, preferring several local LCS where I buy gold in the 3 to 4% premium range. Talking to one LCS, he does not hold what he buys but prefers to sell the same day. He's due his profit and his premiums on gold are reasonably. But silver coin premiums are another matter...
    Stacking since the late 1970's

I won't buy from Gainsville again from past experience with them taking too long to ship in stock items. All of my preivious transactions worked out fine but so did all my Tulving transactions.
    I believe it is ran by the son of one of the two brothers who ran the National Gold Exchange in Tampa, FL.

https://www.numismaticnews.net/archive/nge-goes-broke

That business did not end well. So you have to wonder how far did the apple fall from the tree?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I won't buy from Gainsville again from past experience with them taking too long to ship in stock items. All of my preivious transactions worked out fine but so did all my Tulving transactions.
    I believe it is ran by the son of one of the two brothers who ran the National Gold Exchange in Tampa, FL.

https://www.numismaticnews.net/archive/nge-goes-broke

That business did not end well. So you have to wonder how far did the apple fall from the tree?
    That pretty much sums it up.

Gainesville coin has been around for awhile and I'm not aware of anyone who's lost 100% of their money, as had happened a few times previously with Tulving before the final end. I'm not aware of anyone who even lost 1% unexpectedly with Gainesville Coin. Yes they could be slow at times, and some may question their marketing, but no loss for anyone.

I personally think about the apple and the tree as National Gold Exchange did turn out to be a rotten apple.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverReader View Post
    Not sure why you have to be sarcastic about it. The point is it has nothing to do with holidays or special occasions. The "sale" is never actually over for any meaningful length of time. Its just their regular price pretending to be a discounted price.
    Sorry. It is basically my one super power.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I bought from them back in 2010 and ended up making a little when I sold in 2011. I took a look recently b/c of the growing inflation and bought some. I fell for the countdown clock "sale". If the price went up 2 bucks rather then down 2 since I bought I wouldn't be as peeved I suppose. Chart wise seems like a bullish flag has formed since the high in 2020. Anyway, to da moon! Which hopefully, includes over $50 in 2023.

I don't buy rare coins, I buy bullion and so there's no rarity in what I purchase. Bullion coins/rounds/bars are all the same, IMHO. B4 I buy online I check eBay and as many online dealers as I can for the lowest price. I then factor in do I trust the dealer with the lowest price to deliver quickly from my past experiences. Some will discount for pre-arrival of expected product. If they tell you up front that they won't ship until some future date, that's okay with me. But if they don't say that the product won't be in stock for 4, 6 or 10 weeks then that's the end of doing business with me.

Finally, I think will I be able to match or beat an online price at a local dealer or coin show. Handing over fiat and walking away with PM is always best. Over the years I've purchased from at least a dozen online dealers and haven't found any to be always the best to deal with always. I do have one online dealer that is almost a go to, but I still shop around. There's a few that would have to be much cheaper than I expect before I'd do business with them again. But then again that might be a sign not to do business with them again too.

What I hate the most are BS dealers that insist on calling me thinking I'll bite on their latest scam. I am 100% certain that I'll never deal with them. I think these are some eBay sellers that I purchased from back when there were some deals there. These guys are losers. Done with them For Ever! It's "I'll call you, you don't call me", A-Hole! You are done, put a fork into it. Just like I would never buy an extended car warranty from a spoofed phone caller. Hello! If you can't use your own "real" company phone number what makes you think I'm dumb enough to hand you money? Or send Walmart/Amazon cash cards to the "IRS" that called for a debt I owe. Yeah, right! Are you also a Nigerian prince?
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast