Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of solar takes a hit

15-20 years ago Illinois semi-deregulated the electrical energy market. But one of the things they did was break up the bill into specific charges. Use to be billed for KWH use and all was thrown into that charge except taxes. Now it's a myriad of individual charges that fluctuate monthly sometimes. What really changed is the meter charge at $40 a month.

But with my Coop it show the wholesale rate for the power and it's been pegged at around 3 cents US for the last 10 years. total change when divided by KWH is around the same 14 cents it always has been for the last 20 years.

If I were to get solar power here and generate more than I use, I get the wholesale rate or around 3 cents a KWH excess. There is a $500 one time charge for connection and it all has to be done by their list of qualified installers. really makes it hard for small time panels to be used. Better to make them for use on independent circuits and hand switched. What you do see is large +10kwh solar arrays at farms and grain elevators.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Seeing alot of larger installations covering parking lots go up in the last year. Ikea, the local library, high school just to name a few. Will sports stadiums jump on the band wagon? Those lots are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    Seeing alot of larger installations covering parking lots go up in the last year. Ikea, the local library, high school just to name a few. Will sports stadiums jump on the band wagon? Those lots are huge.
    Government at its finest using your tax money to install solar where costs be damned just as long as it makes you feel good about it.

Dave Jones, the owner of EEblog, in Australia, has done a very good analysis of his home installation of solar panels (two phases over a couple of years) and the pay back rate. Plus looked into battery storage. Just the cold hard facts. His videos are on Youtube. All good stuff and he explains the sizing of panels and components that go into making a home installation - some of which is not straightforward as it seems. He also drives an electric car. He also has debunked so many BS claims for "solar roads" and other pie in the sky government boondoggles and/or snake oil sales companies seeking funding for perpetual motion or fake heating/cooling devices.

All the pluses and minuses of where solar is today and where it is going in the future. For a real treat look at his videos of the huge Tesla solar battery storage system that went up in flames before it even got finished.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

An electric utility, here in midwest USA, is developing two new solar power plants. One is 10 megawatts and the other is 3 megawatts. These are springing up all over the US.
    Stacking since the late 1970's

I calculate over 30,000 oz for the 10 megawatt farm.
    Any one else want to try the math on that?

Maybe in grid tie net metering world. This article says 2600 ounces for a megawatt. Doesn't seem like much except they are building out gigawatt size farms now.

https://www.legacyresearch.com/the-d...silver-higher/

My county is almost all farm fields. The county zoning is very protective of the farm ground. There were three big solar farms all approved by the state and county three years ago but none have started. I don't think you will see anymore windmills though. The last bunch that went in had a hard time getting ROW for the transmission lines. All the proposed solar farms were next to preexisting electrical substations.

432Hz

Right of way (ROW). Or, ROW : definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary: A line of things arranged next to each other: Everybody lined up in a neat little row.
    Stacking since the late 1970's

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Right of way (ROW). Or, ROW : definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary: A line of things arranged next to each other: Everybody lined up in a neat little row.
    I don't know what they were thinking with the last wind farm. It was an addition to one they already had but needed new transmission lines. Most are buried from tower to tower but then they need to go for the new windfarm substation to the main one15 miles away. But they waited until the towers were up before negotiating the ROW and the farmers took them to the cleaners. Some refused and they had to go around.

432Hz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast