Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is silver always a laggard?

Default Why is silver always a laggard?

i was around for for the 2010 silver explosion (and subsequent collapse). didn't unload my stash fast enough, so still have it! here we are again, with gold hitting $2k and the other pm's doing well. guess what, silver has barely budged. definitely not "to the moon on the silver rocket ship". why does silver get left behind?

Quote Originally Posted by rwh63 View Post
    i was around for for the 2010 silver explosion (and subsequent collapse). didn't unload my stash fast enough, so still have it! here we are again, with gold hitting $2k and the other pm's doing well. guess what, silver has barely budged. definitely not "to the moon on the silver rocket ship". why does silver get left behind?
    You'll get lots of opinions. I believe naked shorts are the culprit, personally.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Naked shorts and various other types of price manipulation are probably contributing factors. Didn't a major bank get gigged for that a while back?

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    Naked shorts and various other types of price manipulation are probably contributing factors. Didn't a major bank get gigged for that a while back?
    Yes, but their fine was only pennies on the dollar profit they made with their illegal actions. So why stop.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

It's the retail traders that really make silver take off. Bitcoin DOW & tech have been competing (eventually bubble & correct). But after they see Gold take off and realize the disparity (between gold & silver), and also see silver catching a bid by the early birds (smart money) then.....The retail investor suddenly has an epiphany !!! Remember...Silver, is a really small market in comparison. SO...They start to jump in and then FOMO "fear of missing out" kicks in and the silver laggard goes parabolic !! Used to take 3 decades...Perhaps now only one !..Things move faster these days.

Ag guy
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

I also think cryptocurrencies have stolen some of PM's thunder... at least for now.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Silver seems to always lag gold in up movements. However, once it get going it outperforms gold. Hang on for more of the same and just remember that in the long term, perhaps very long time, silver will do well. As others have said the market in silver is small and it is easy for the big banks to control silver's price in the short time and they do their best to do so. Hence the fines paid by JP Morgan (and others?) plus the losses experienced by other banks that get caught up in the scam.

If you can't stand watching very slow drying paint dry then you'll go crazy waiting for silver to reach the price that you would expect silver to reach in a fair market. IMHO, a lot of the old stored junk silver and household silver products have been fed into the smelters over the past 20 years and there's no longer a huge hidden stockpile of inherited family silver out there owned by John Q. Public just waiting for higher prices to flood the market. Today it is mostly .999 (and better) silver plus bags of coin silver in the hands of silver hawks that's on the sidelines. If these holders refuse to dump their silver at low prices then we'll continue to see premiums for physical silver over the next few years to add 10, 20 and perhaps 30% to the paper silver price. All this means that once gold takes off it is only a matter of time before silver goes too. It's all demand driven. Don't forget that silver mining production also lags the market since few mines get developed when silver price is near cost to produce. It can take 5 or more years to reach full production after a discovery even if the discovery is highly profitable and that's after all the permits get approved.

If you are holding on hoping to sell your silver for a profit or flip then don't wait too long once it hits your selling point. It also seems to drop faster than gold on the downside.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

thx for the reasonable reply. btw, gold just went over $2k. i don't think i've seen that before? hopefully it pushes investors into cheaper silver market. haven't checked retail prices for .90 or .999 yet.

popped over to Provident. why do they have a $10 roll of BU walker for $1000!??
    Last edited by rwh63; 03-08-2022 at 10:54 AM.

Looking at the current price rocket give it a few minutes and it will be $2k
    Last edited by shades; 03-08-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast