Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Is the FAT FINGER taking the day off??

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPalm View Post
    The easy to get gold was mined centuries ago. It now requires much effort to mine more gold. I see $1k as a practical bottom, even if things get weird. Unusual market conditions & geopolitical surprises may cause unexpected swings in either direction that temporarily cause unrealistic pricing. A look at the 5,000 year trends, holds a certain amount of truth that is hard to ignore.

I see much more upside potential than down side potential over the next 10-20 years. If the value drops to zero, you have lost $2k on a 1ozt investment. If the trend of the last 50 years continues, your return will far exceed that. It may be counted in orders of magnitude rather than a simple multiple if the currency acceleration of certain trends continues.
    As long as people gauge the value of gold in dollars the end is still further down the road. The dollar is going to ZERO...or near zero...you can trade it 100 or 1000 to one of the new currency.

That you can still buy gold (real money) in exchange for dollars (fake money) has me buying more gold at prices I wouldn't have thought possible a couple years ago.

When it dies, I want to be out of it as much as possible and already into the parallel economy.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

The value of gold always seems to be on people's minds, the unasked question that never seems to be brought up is what is a dollar worth. I remember in my youth that a dollar could purchase four gallons of gasoline or two hamburgers, two french fries and two soft drinks at Mc'D's even with tax included. That a dollar could be exchanged for four 90% silver quarters. That a union auto worker with overtime made well less than $10,000 in the mid-1960's. That a new mid-level new car was under $3,000 and social security was paid off by April of each year. Something obviously has changed. Could it be the dollar? Rather than worrying about the value of gold (or other hard assets), why aren't we worried about the value of our fiat dollars? (fill in other currencies too!) The real question that should be asked is how do we best shelter our wealth from inflation. Be is property (property tax issues?), diamonds and other rare gems (faced with man made gems). rare art (fraud and theft), old cars (tastes change and ongoing maintenance) or then there's PM including gold and silver. Anyone standing pat on paper money buried in a box in the backyard? How about commercial real estate in NYC or San Francisco? No? Then WTF? Crypto? There's a plan! Let's see, I convert real wealth into a new product with little to no track history except that a bunch of "believers" will continue to outbid each other to own it. Oh, I know, you can transfer it to other countries and not get stopped at the border. For now! Just like buying an electric car saves you from paying gasoline road tax. I wonder how soon that loophole will end? Like maybe tomorrow! Ditto with the border crossing issue. Countries will figure that out soon too. So what is there? Nothing. That's right nothing will protect you completely. A threat of a bullet to the head or a gun to your family's heads and you give up whatever wealth you possess. Or most of us would. At best we need something that we can keep within plain sight and not off with someone's control. What we need is something that doesn't require energy to maintain, won't turn into a pile of decayed paper or rotten canvas plus not have taxes that have to be paid each year. Maybe pet rocks or cabbage patch dolls? Elvis plates? What'ca got? For me, and your results may vary, I'm going with what's behind door #1 - gold and silver. Those four 90% silver quarters are still doing okay, IMHO. You can pass door #1 onto the other person and hope that door #2 has the two week trip to Tahiti plus a new car plus pray it's not a rubber duck. Not me. I'll stick with passing Go and collecting $200 and try not to land on Park Place. Tried and true.

Oh yes, anyone worried about the $200 trillion in derivatives held by the banks? No worries, just another minor blip that's ticking away along with the other issues of fiat currencies and modern economics. Nothing to see here, move along......
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    The value of gold always seems to be on people's minds, the unasked question that never seems to be brought up is what is a dollar worth. I remember in my youth that a dollar could purchase four gallons of gasoline or two hamburgers, two french fries and two soft drinks at Mc'D's even with tax included.

That a dollar could be exchanged for four 90% silver quarters. That a union auto worker with overtime made well less than $10,000 in the mid-1960's. That a new mid-level new car was under $3,000 and social security was paid off by April of each year. Something obviously has changed. Could it be the dollar? Rather than worrying about the value of gold (or other hard assets), why aren't we worried about the value of our fiat dollars? (fill in other currencies too!)

The real question that should be asked is how do we best shelter our wealth from inflation. Be is property (property tax issues?), diamonds and other rare gems (faced with man made gems). rare art (fraud and theft), old cars (tastes change and ongoing maintenance) or then there's PM including gold and silver. Anyone standing pat on paper money buried in a box in the backyard? How about commercial real estate in NYC or San Francisco? No? Then WTF? Crypto? There's a plan! Let's see, I convert real wealth into a new product with little to no track history except that a bunch of "believers" will continue to outbid each other to own it. Oh, I know, you can transfer it to other countries and not get stopped at the border. For now!

Just like buying an electric car saves you from paying gasoline road tax. I wonder how soon that loophole will end? Like maybe tomorrow! Ditto with the border crossing issue. Countries will figure that out soon too. So what is there? Nothing. That's right nothing will protect you completely. A threat of a bullet to the head or a gun to your family's heads and you give up whatever wealth you possess. Or most of us would. At best we need something that we can keep within plain sight and not off with someone's control.

What we need is something that doesn't require energy to maintain, won't turn into a pile of decayed paper or rotten canvas plus not have taxes that have to be paid each year. Maybe pet rocks or cabbage patch dolls? Elvis plates? What'ca got? For me, and your results may vary, I'm going with what's behind door #1 - gold and silver. Those four 90% silver quarters are still doing okay, IMHO. You can pass door #1 onto the other person and hope that door #2 has the two week trip to Tahiti plus a new car plus pray it's not a rubber duck. Not me. I'll stick with passing Go and collecting $200 and try not to land on Park Place. Tried and true.

Oh yes, anyone worried about the $200 trillion in derivatives held by the banks? No worries, just another minor blip that's ticking away along with the other issues of fiat currencies and modern economics. Nothing to see here, move along......
    I made your post readable...for me anyway.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Quote Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post
    Thanks LongDon for your insightful writing and Msquirrel for making it a little easier to read.
    Stacking since the late 1970's

There's nothing to worry about there. Those guys are too big to fail. They could throw boxes of hundred dollar bills out the window all day every day & have nothing to worry about. Those guys are x-perts. They make the money, so there is no way they can go under.

Certain investments are fool proof. Banks are one, trapezoids are another. It's kind of like a pyramid scheme, except the 4th side geometrically and mathematically makes it impossible to loose. Just ask any grifter. They can explain it all to you. Your money in a trap scheme is as safe as a bank's derivative investment. No bank in history has ever gone out of business or lost money. It can't happen.

***For the benefit of those who do not frequent this board & did not catch on yet & are actually googling up trapezoid investments now, the preceding two paragraphs were satire, not investment advice***

The trapezoid scam is a modification of the classic pyramid style Ponzi scheme, which is generally considered to be a con game. Derivatives are on a different order of magnitude.

Jokes aside, when I consider what is the best possible investment in the US, my answer would be the US tax payer. Unfortunately the government has a monopoly on that investment, so it doesn't do me much good. I have no real access to that cash cow. The dollar fades with time. The tax payer has endured.
    Last edited by SilverPalm; 04-30-2023 at 08:51 PM.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

Is it time for a holding pattern?
    https://youtu.be/ggkdrCJ5TkI
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

As long as people gauge the value of gold in dollars the end is still further down the road. The dollar is going to ZERO...or near zero...you can trade it 100 or 1000 to one of the new currency.

That you can still buy gold (real money) in exchange for dollars (fake money) has me buying more gold at prices I wouldn't have thought possible a couple years ago.

When it dies, I want to be out of it as much as possible and already into the parallel economy.
    People think of everything in terms of value=dollars. I talk to people about Bitcoin (and crypto in general) and am usually met with concerns the price will drop to zero and they will lose all their money. Meanwhile, the dollar is dropping... (correction, has dropped), to nearly zero considering its' value, compared to commodities.

The value of gold always seems to be on people's minds, the unasked question that never seems to be brought up is what is a dollar worth. I remember in my youth that a dollar could purchase four gallons of gasoline or two hamburgers, two french fries and two soft drinks at Mc'D's even with tax included.

That a dollar could be exchanged for four 90% silver quarters. That a union auto worker with overtime made well less than $10,000 in the mid-1960's. That a new mid-level new car was under $3,000 and social security was paid off by April of each year. Something obviously has changed. Could it be the dollar? Rather than worrying about the value of gold (or other hard assets), why aren't we worried about the value of our fiat dollars? (fill in other currencies too!)

The real question that should be asked is how do we best shelter our wealth from inflation. Be is property (property tax issues?), diamonds and other rare gems (faced with man made gems). rare art (fraud and theft), old cars (tastes change and ongoing maintenance) or then there's PM including gold and silver. Anyone standing pat on paper money buried in a box in the backyard? How about commercial real estate in NYC or San Francisco? No? Then WTF? Crypto? There's a plan! Let's see, I convert real wealth into a new product with little to no track history except that a bunch of "believers" will continue to outbid each other to own it. Oh, I know, you can transfer it to other countries and not get stopped at the border. For now!

Just like buying an electric car saves you from paying gasoline road tax. I wonder how soon that loophole will end? Like maybe tomorrow! Ditto with the border crossing issue. Countries will figure that out soon too. So what is there? Nothing. That's right nothing will protect you completely. A threat of a bullet to the head or a gun to your family's heads and you give up whatever wealth you possess. Or most of us would. At best we need something that we can keep within plain sight and not off with someone's control.

What we need is something that doesn't require energy to maintain, won't turn into a pile of decayed paper or rotten canvas plus not have taxes that have to be paid each year. Maybe pet rocks or cabbage patch dolls? Elvis plates? What'ca got? For me, and your results may vary, I'm going with what's behind door #1 - gold and silver. Those four 90% silver quarters are still doing okay, IMHO. You can pass door #1 onto the other person and hope that door #2 has the two week trip to Tahiti plus a new car plus pray it's not a rubber duck. Not me. I'll stick with passing Go and collecting $200 and try not to land on Park Place. Tried and true.

That right there is what I have said, nowhere is safe. Historically, everything can be taken. Land, real estate, PM's, cash, jewelry, securities, guns, food... Nothing is safe from them. The only thing I can think of is Bitcoin that is totally safe from confiscation. They can strip you naked and deposit you anywhere, and as long as you know the location, you can make your way out and work hard enough to get yourself internet access (provided the internet is still functional), and be able to access and mover the Bitcoin asset.

Thank you Mitey, I transplanted your version for his in the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPalm View Post
    There's nothing to worry about there. Those guys are too big to fail. They could throw boxes of hundred dollar bills out the window all day every day & have nothing to worry about. Those guys are x-perts. They make the money, so there is no way they can go under.

Certain investments are fool proof. Banks are one, trapezoids are another. It's kind of like a pyramid scheme, except the 4th side geometrically and mathematically makes it impossible to loose. Just ask any grifter. They can explain it all to you. Your money in a trap scheme is as safe as a bank's derivative investment. No bank in history has ever gone out of business or lost money. It can't happen.

***For the benefit of those who do not frequent this board & did not catch on yet & are actually googling up trapezoid investments now, the preceding two paragraphs were satire, not investment advice***

The trapezoid scam is a modification of the classic pyramid style Ponzi scheme, which is generally considered to be a con game. Derivatives are on a different order of magnitude.

Jokes aside, when I consider what is the best possible investment in the US, my answer would be the US tax payer. Unfortunately the government has a monopoly on that investment, so it doesn't do me much good. I have no real access to that cash cow. The dollar fades with time. The tax payer has endured.
    They will use war to save their boxes of hundred dollar bills (more likely gold) from the collapse of the economic systems they have corrupted and destroyed. I think the war, civil or otherwise, will more likely be like the riots we saw in the spring and summer of 2020 when mobs of people swarmed anywhere items they wanted were located. The hot war will start when the owners of those properties start shooting to protect their property and lives. I hate the fact our government has put me into the position where I have to seriously consider where I will have to draw a line that represents "to this point and no further".

Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

ok, what just happened? silver up almost a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by rwh63 View Post
    ok, what just happened? silver up almost a dollar.
    people are getting very concerned and a lot of newbees are scarfing up the local inventories at lcs's and they are seeing youtube vids daily mostly calling for moonshots and doomsday plus "as swipe" announced his bid for stealing another election.

Fast up, then fast down for gold & silver. DXY saw a spike on the second move.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.