Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Generic vs. Premium silver

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    yes, and also, i keep wondering if i should dump all the us nickles and coppers i have gathered at face value. there are many, many, many bricks of these coins. just do not wish to burden the kids with unloading this crap once i fade out.
    Make them work for their inheritance, after all, you had to handle it all at least once...LOL
    Stacking since the late 1970's

yes, and also, i keep wondering if i should dump all the us nickles and coppers i have gathered at face value. there are many, many, many bricks of these coins. just do not wish to burden the kids with unloading this crap once i fade out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Make them work for their inheritance, after all, you had to handle it all at least once...LOL
    i suggest selling the numi and sem-numi yourself, and leaving the basic bullion to kids.

The stack I lost at sea is half junk 90, a sixth eagles/ and a third generic bullion. My only regret is that I should have stacked the misc bullion all the same maker/size as its so much neater and I imagine a little easier to sell.

Of course looking back I would have bought eagles instead of 90 when they were $3 over spot, but thats just hindsight...

I bought whatever I wanted, selling can be more work, depending. If price is low I buy what's available. If silver gets up to 28 again I'm selling as much as I can part with.

UK Royal Mint is having record sales due to huge demand from US investors.
    Why? because britannia have the lowest premium for gov't bullion, now even beating RCM maples for value. Even Motocat pickup a few britannia due to low premium on 2nd tier market.

The Royal Mint has been growing its footprint internationally over the last two years, and the USA has seen the biggest growth in terms of gold with sales of gold increasing by 96% in the final quarter of 2021 (versus Q4 2020). Silver has also seen a buying frenzy in markets such as mainland Europe where silver has increased 342% vs last year following Brexit and the continued pandemic uncertainty.

https://ifamagazine.com/article/the-...rs-in-q4-2021/

UK mint turns out some nice product and doesn't charge much over generic for their stuff. I know I bought a bunch of it.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

.999 has huge premiums compared to junk , until recently.

If you go with Canadian junk... there are no premiums at all, much of the time.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    .999 has huge premiums compared to junk , until recently.

If you go with Canadian junk... there are no premiums at all, much of the time.
    In the past, I had favored junk for the first time buyer who was looking to get his feet wet in the silver market with a limited budget. In today's market, I am no longer of that opinion. In today's market, I am more likely to be a seller of junk rather than a buyer. If I were to buy silver today, it would probably be Philharmonics, as they are minted by a trusted source, easily verified, & tend to carry a small premium.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPalm View Post
    In the past, I had favored junk for the first time buyer who was looking to get his feet wet in the silver market with a limited budget. In today's market, I am no longer of that opinion. In today's market, I am more likely to be a seller of junk rather than a buyer. If I were to buy silver today, it would probably be Philharmonics, as they are minted by a trusted source, easily verified, & tend to carry a small premium.
    I have foolishly parlayed my penchant for government issue coinage into a nasty habit of collecting.

Phil Harmonics have one major disadvantage, they are ugly. I do agree, though. For a swap when the GSR drop .999 silver is going to get you further than junk.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Ag guy View Post
    I just stack the metal(generic), and, also 90% junk coins...Some scrap sterling, and recycled metal with assay. I keep it simple...When the time comes I just want to think about ounces and price, not all the other gobbledy gook.

Ag guy
    My thought is, if the time comes when I'm using/selling my silver, something will have happened that will make me not care about all the other gobbledy gook.

Stacking copper pennies I can understand, and I enjoy having copper rounds just to have them and give to grandkids, etc.

Stacking nickels is something I have never thought about and am unaware of,
    Why would someone do this?

-asking because I genuinely don't know...

As to the video, I see the argument that can be made for generics,
    But I buy what I like.
    I prefer ASE's, but I am not willing to buy them at the present premiums.
    I also like Libertads and other Mexican silver coins.

Right now, it's generic silver rounds for me.
    Last edited by BudrowBob; 02-27-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast