Thread: Is this a proof?

Default Is this a proof?

I am looking at this thing...

It seems like a proof?

Is it?
    Help a brotha out, as the auction ends fairly soon.

I fully understand it is cleaned. But I need to know if it is a proof as I suspect?
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

It sure looks like a heavily impaired proof from the picture. There were about 100 of them struck for each of the 2 years so if it IS one of those proofs, it is quite scarce even when it is damaged...
    Build a fire and warm a man for a day.
    Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life
    .:

If you see something...Shoot something! Ima Hunter

I don't know if I made the deadline for you to bid on that coin, but yes, it sure looks like it may be one of the 100 "brilliant proof" coins that were struck. Yes, it's certainly been cleaned and has lots of micro abrasions, but if it's truly the same coin in the photo as the one they'd send to you, I'd take a shot at it for sure. Judging from the impaired mirror finish in the fields, as well as the sharpness of the devices and lettering, it really does appear to be proof struck. Go for it and good luck! If you were to get it graded, it'll come back details, but as WBY has said, you may still have something there, even in that condition.

Okay, I just wanted to add that I looked up graded prices in the PCGS price guide (keep in mind that their valuations are often higher than normal and/or what coins generally sell for), and in the grade of proof-60 (the lowest grade they have showing), a PCGS graded one sold for $2,250 within the last few years. Assuming it's genuinely a proof 1892 Columbus half dollar and it sure looks to be, it's definitely a rare coin, and even in such an impaired condition (that one isn't even a Proof-60), seems like it'd be a really great acquisition for you.
    Last edited by bronkster1967; 02-13-2022 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    I don't know if I made the deadline for you to bid on that coin, but yes, it sure looks like it may be one of the 100 "brilliant proof" coins that were struck. Yes, it's certainly been cleaned and has lots of micro abrasions, but if it's truly the same coin in the photo as the one they'd send to you, I'd take a shot at it for sure. Judging from the impaired mirror finish in the fields, as well as the sharpness of the devices and lettering, it really does appear to be proof struck. Go for it and good luck! If you were to get it graded, it'll come back details, but as WBY has said, you may still have something there, even in that condition.

Okay, I just wanted to add that I looked up graded prices in the PCGS price guide (keep in mind that their valuations are often higher than normal and/or what coins generally sell for), and in the grade of proof-60 (the lowest grade they have showing), a PCGS graded one sold for $2,250 within the last few years. Assuming it's genuinely a proof 1892 Columbus half dollar and it sure looks to be, it's definitely a rare coin, and even in such an impaired condition (that one isn't even a Proof-60), seems like it'd be a really great acquisition for you.
    I got it ... had to pay $76 for it...

Definitely a gamble. I guess we'll see

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

@Windweaver:

Congratulations! Now, you've often asked me my opinion on whether or not to get certain coins graded, and I appreciate the faith you've placed in my opinion. So, if it were me, the first thing I'd probably do is take the coin to a trusted LCS and ask their opinion on whether or not that coin is a proof coin, or it has been "whizzed" (which we do not want). Often, this can only be discovered through the use of a decent microscope as sometimes a 5x or 10x loupe may not be good enough. Then, assuming our thoughts are correct, I'd probably take a chance on sending that one out to one of the top 2 grading services. You know who they are. I have absolutely no guesses on how it might come back for a grade, though- other than "details" or "impaired proof"- something to that effect.

I've heard from a lot of professional coin dealers that recent submissions have been huge let downs and really haven't been that accurate. Supposedly due to attrition and Covid issues. So even the 3rd party grading services have had to hire a lot of younger and inexperienced graders. If your coin is truly what we think it is though, I still take that chance as the potential rewards far outweigh the risk involved and at least you'd know for sure either way. No sense on trying to guess a valuation for the coin until you can get a grade out of it. That's assuming you even want to get it graded. you can certainly do nothing and keep it as is, or you can do the aforementioned and flip it for even more shiny. If that's the route you go, perhaps Great Collections would be a good outlet to move the coin. No, I do not get any kickbacks for suggesting them, but they do sell a lot of rare coins. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    @Windweaver:

Congratulations! Now, you've often asked me my opinion on whether or not to get certain coins graded, and I appreciate the faith you've placed in my opinion. So, if it were me, the first thing I'd probably do is take the coin to a trusted LCS and ask their opinion on whether or not that coin is a proof coin, or it has been "whizzed" (which we do not want). Often, this can only be discovered through the use of a decent microscope as sometimes a 5x or 10x loupe may not be good enough. Then, assuming our thoughts are correct, I'd probably take a chance on sending that one out to one of the top 2 grading services. You know who they are. I have absolutely no guesses on how it might come back for a grade, though- other than "details" or "impaired proof"- something to that effect.

I've heard from a lot of professional coin dealers that recent submissions have been huge let downs and really haven't been that accurate. Supposedly due to attrition and Covid issues. So even the 3rd party grading services have had to hire a lot of younger and inexperienced graders. If your coin is truly what we think it is though, I still take that chance as the potential rewards far outweigh the risk involved and at least you'd know for sure either way. No sense on trying to guess a valuation for the coin until you can get a grade out of it. That's assuming you even want to get it graded. you can certainly do nothing and keep it as is, or you can do the aforementioned and flip it for even more shiny. If that's the route you go, perhaps Great Collections would be a good outlet to move the coin. No, I do not get any kickbacks for suggesting them, but they do sell a lot of rare coins. Lol!
    Someone tried to snipe me at the last minute, but I had my bid at $200. So I am not the only one who thought something was up with this coin.

You're correct though, it all depends on if the grade is paying attention ( assuming it is a proof at all).

I take it to the LCS if time permits.

Been working a lot and at night.