Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions requested: LCD Digital Microscope

Default Opinions requested: LCD Digital Microscope

I've used flatbed scanners and cameras to image coins for decades, and jeweler's loupes for close inspection. Now, I'm considering a digital microscope and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with these. Good or bad. I think it could fulfill both imaging and examination, maybe doing a better job than my previous tools, especially with my aging eyes.
    Here is the specific model I'm eying.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N6YSVRP
    Or is there a better option out there that won't break the bank?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by ynot2k; 02-01-2022 at 08:11 PM. Reason: removed affilate id from link

Okay, doesn't seem to be an abundance of opinions on digital microscopes. Still hoping someone will speak up, I'm talking myself up the ladder. Already up another $65 with this model...
    https://www.amazon.com/TOMLOV-DM202-...dp/B09N6YSVRP/
    It appears I screwed up the link on my OP, but it's too late to edit it. Here's the model I meant to point to...
    [url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093GGZXQS//url]
    I'm still on the fence though.
    Last edited by ynot2k; 02-01-2022 at 08:13 PM. Reason: removed affilate id from links

I've had one of these for the last 11 years with no issue. I did put a longer pipe in it to it can be raised a lot more.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Han.../dp/B00CMJ1I08

I use this as a hand held for the most part.
    Last edited by redraspberry; 02-02-2022 at 09:18 AM.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Seems to me there was a thread about this topic from a few years ago. Try the search engine on
    here.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Wow! That looks really cool. I probably wouldn't get one because it would take up too much space.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Yeah, I admit I didn't perform a search before posting, sorry.
    But I have now, and found one such brief thread. As technology and buying gadgets go, an old thread doesn't really help much. If I'd bothered, I could've appended to it, though.

Here's a close up of a Silver Eagle with my microscope, my jeans are the background.

432Hz

What draws me to the models I'm considering is that they can not only provide super closeups like that, but also image the entire coin. I'm still on the fence, but kinda attracted to the idea. I've taken acceptable photos for eBay with a camera and with a scanner, that's money already spent. And, there's my trusty loupe for close examination too. So, it could be argued it's an unnecessary expense. But, dang, that 10" LCD sure would be a pleasure to my old eyes.
    The response (or lack of) shows me it's not such a popular idea. I've just never owned a decent microscope, and I'm a bit of a gadget freak. I can see where I would use it beyond the world of numismatics. A bit surprised at the lack of interest.

What microscope was that photo taken with?

Quote Originally Posted by NCCPC View Post
    What draws me to the models I'm considering is that they can not only provide super closeups like that, but also image the entire coin. I'm still on the fence, but kinda attracted to the idea. I've taken acceptable photos for eBay with a camera and with a scanner, that's money already spent. And, there's my trusty loupe for close examination too. So, it could be argued it's an unnecessary expense. But, dang, that 10" LCD sure would be a pleasure to my old eyes.
    The response (or lack of) shows me it's not such a popular idea. I've just never owned a decent microscope, and I'm a bit of a gadget freak. I can see where I would use it beyond the world of numismatics. A bit surprised at the lack of interest.

What microscope was that photo taken with?
    The one I posted in #3 post. I don't use the stand much usually just hand held. I keep it on the coffee table next to the laptop. Just plug it in and start the program.

Price has increased 30% over 11 years.

432Hz

There have been some good articles re this topic online if you Google the key words. Personally, I think a stereoscope might be a better choice vs microscope but it all depends on your intended application.
    Gold. The only money that matters. The only money that lasts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast