Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inflation in the stores and the seemingly "missing" people is getting worrisome.

Default Inflation in the stores and the seemingly "missing" people is getting worrisome.

Haven't actually been grocery shopping for months. Went last week and it was a bit bothersome. First time I have truly been a bit worried that we may be close to the crisis many of us believe is inevitable.
    Many items were simply not there. Empty shelves. There was a lot of grabbing items I would normally buy and seeing the new price then deciding I didn't really need it.
    Small bag of frozen veggies normally $1 now $3. Bag of chicken wings $10 dollars for 10 wings. I was going to buy a case of dr pepper but it was $8 for 12 cans so I settled on Faygo cola which was only $4. I though the box looked funny and got home to find out is was an 8 can case. Didn't even know they made those. Same price as what a 12 pack name brand should be.

Went to get a hair cut and was told that they were short staffed and that I would need to schedule for another day. Went to a different hair cut place and it was only one young lady working the place so I had to wait about an hour.
    Everywhere I go people are short staffed and are out of many items often. Very strange days.
    Ended up making a pot of mixed beans with some frozen Christmas Ham. Very cheap, very good and lasted several days.
    Last edited by jjmcwill; 01-11-2022 at 03:43 PM.

Buy PM. That's all I can say.

Took us 2 plus months to get our refrig repaired. Circuit board was on nation wide back order. We lost a lot of frozen meat and am not looking forward with replacing it at today's meat prices. I had been buying Polar soft drinks in a 12 pack for $4 and change. Then the pack went to 8 cans and the price went to $5. Then stopped being there at all. So store brand 2L diet was $0.88 and that's been coming come with me of late. Wife bought a pound of hamburger the other day, went with the 80% since the 95% was nearly $14 for little over a pound. Lots of pre-chewed steak in our future? Forget the Filet. It looks like hamburg or tube steaks, if isn't going to be $20 for an 8 pack of Oscar's. Now its eggs and some other staples that are going to be in short supply. Better run to Costco and get a 50 lb sack of rice and a large bag of dry beans.

The local Italian Pizza/restaurant sent out a new take out menus and prices went up 20%. Can't blame them, just hoping they don't close up like so many others.

The Brandon dollar doesn't buy much and it's only going to get worse. Now the Fed chairman is worried about global warming. Good grief. How about inflation and the dollar? One supreme court judge believes in fairy tales and thinks 100K kids are on ventilators and I'm guessing thinks the jab is written into the constitution. Must be in the small print on the bottom of the TV screen. Put down the Marx and read the constitution including the amendments. Start with the 10th.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

My parents meat freezer crapped out. They spent the next couple days canning it all. I have to give them full respect and credit. They were not going to lose that meat!

Quote Originally Posted by jjmcwill View Post
    Haven't actually been grocery shopping for months. Went last week and it was a bit bothersome. First time I have truly been a bit worried that we may be close to the crisis many of us believe is inevitable.
    Many items were simply not there. Empty shelves. There was a lot of grabbing items I would normally buy and seeing the new price then deciding I didn't really need it.
    Small bag of frozen veggies normally $1 now $3. Bag of chicken wings $10 dollars for 10 wings. I was going to buy a case of dr pepper but it was $8 for 12 cans so I settled on Faygo cola which was only $4. I though the box looked funny and got home to find out is was an 8 can case. Didn't even know they made those. Same price as what a 12 pack name brand should be.

Went to get a hair cut and was told that they were short staffed and that I would need to schedule for another day. Went to a different hair cut place and it was only one young lady working the place so I had to wait about an hour.
    Everywhere I go people are short staffed and are out of many items often. Very strange days.
    Ended up making a pot of mixed beans with some frozen Christmas Ham. Very cheap, very good and lasted several days.
    Welcome to Clown World 2022'
    x3

Saddly, this is why we're here. We just saw it coming years? decades? ago. We knew it was not going to be pleasant when it happened and it has been proving out our beliefs. Buckle up buttercups, I predict we are in for a long hard situation.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Buy PM. That's all I can say.

Took us 2 plus months to get our refrig repaired. Circuit board was on nation wide back order. We lost a lot of frozen meat and am not looking forward with replacing it at today's meat prices. I had been buying Polar soft drinks in a 12 pack for $4 and change. Then the pack went to 8 cans and the price went to $5. Then stopped being there at all. So store brand 2L diet was $0.88 and that's been coming come with me of late. Wife bought a pound of hamburger the other day, went with the 80% since the 95% was nearly $14 for little over a pound. Lots of pre-chewed steak in our future? Forget the Filet. It looks like hamburg or tube steaks, if isn't going to be $20 for an 8 pack of Oscar's. Now its eggs and some other staples that are going to be in short supply. Better run to Costco and get a 50 lb sack of rice and a large bag of dry beans.

The local Italian Pizza/restaurant sent out a new take out menus and prices went up 20%. Can't blame them, just hoping they don't close up like so many others.

The Brandon dollar doesn't buy much and it's only going to get worse. Now the Fed chairman is worried about global warming. Good grief. How about inflation and the dollar? One supreme court judge believes in fairy tales and thinks 100K kids are on ventilators and I'm guessing thinks the jab is written into the constitution. Must be in the small print on the bottom of the TV screen. Put down the Marx and read the constitution including the amendments. Start with the 10th.
    i think most of the food prices inflation is due to supply chain issue induced by covid pandemic, physical labor jobs to work at home jobs, leading to shortage of manual labor like truckers, chefs etc. Staff cut of non vaxxed compounded this labor shortage. Unvaxxed Cdn truckers are stopped at US border. Yes, covid debt spending would add to money supply and some inflation but 10-30%+ food inflation (or worse no supply) is alot of inflation for US and Canada

I had said before americans are lucky to buy gold before 2020 period when POG were less than 1500 using strong USD while me have to pay +35% on exchange rate ( 1.45X on March 20, 2020) more with CAD. Now it's only 1.25X more in CAD (i'm not talking about premium)
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 01-12-2022 at 06:33 PM.

Given the way inflation is running rampant today I'm losing money sitting on cash, my stocks are doing well but that could turn around and go south in a heartbeat, I sold all of my crypto after a nice run up but I've got a bad feeling about getting back in might as well go to Vegas, put it on the line and throw the dice...I'm thinking were headed for the Carter years on steroids I don't see anything that can stop it in the near future at this point...I've been stacking PM for years maybe it will finally pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdigger View Post
    Given the way inflation is running rampant today I'm losing money sitting on cash, my stocks are doing well but that could turn around and go south in a heartbeat, I sold all of my crypto after a nice run up but I've got a bad feeling about getting back in might as well go to Vegas, put it on the line and throw the dice...I'm thinking were headed for the Carter years on steroids I don't see anything that can stop it in the near future at this point...I've been stacking PM for years maybe it will finally pay off.
    can goods like beans, salmon have done well too
    can't lose on those since u can eat them if the market crash

I would be more concerned if despite all this digital creation, to allow more and more people to sit idly at home, did not result in inflation!

No surprise yet, no flying pigs in here....
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

i have posted in the food shortage thread but it got deleted somehow

in there i said china is stockpiling wheat, soy, pork, corn, etc.
    That's play a big part of current food inflation that media not talking about.
    It seem media are shy of reporting bad news caused by china. They are so afraid of reporting china woes it seem.

Self inflicting wound like restricting truckers add to the supply chain disruption
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...pfr=1#comments

when there are empty shelves, it's a supply chain issue, not so much as inflation issue.
    Hearing supply chain issue, people hoard, compounding the shortage.

In one of the lockdown city Xian, china. I heard a story one family had to trade their (real) iphone for a bag of rice. . This is just 1 of potential several sudden lockdown of cities. CCP solving the food crises by shutting down social media so people can't hear/read about it.
    Is that due to money printing?
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 01-14-2022 at 06:36 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast