Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1990 1/2 oz American Gold Eagle BU (MCMXC) Is Now Available For Purchase...SOLD IN RECORD TIME!

Yes, yes, yes!! This is what I've been trying to tell some people for a long time. - Bronkster

Nice to cross paths with you B.

Great "contrarian" minds think alike.
    Gold. The only money that matters. The only money that lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    Bronkster1967:...we are on the same page.

Yellowsnow:...Queens portrait is not very purdy. Canadian mint had a lunar series and it didn't do very well. I think that their history of pumping out toy coins hurt the sales.

Slightly off topic:... If anyone gets a chance to view Empires of Silver I highly recommend the 3 part series...or the book.
    the reason i like the british lunar gold and silver series because premium is reasonable plus low mintage.
    I notice they stop making them since year of the dog. Only selling high premium proof lunar coins now.

Perth lunar use to have higher premium of them all but still reasonable but now, it's crazy high premium.

Just picked up 1988 1/2 oz AGE Uncirculated $1850. Mintage 45,000
    Life is good
    Gold. The only money that matters. The only money that lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Unsustainable View Post
    Just picked up 1988 1/2 oz AGE Uncirculated $1850. Mintage 45,000
    Life is good
    that's 91% premium over spot.
    i hope that would cure your fix for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Unsustainable View Post
    I've had "contact me" status on APMEX for a number of lower mintage dates. Some have come up resulting in acquisition. Don't even ask me re the key lesser Canadian Maple denominations and dates...it's even worse. Nonexistent!
    you talking about the elusive 1994 1/15th oz GML?

Unsustainable- Apparently, I had missed your response almost a couple of months ago. Sorry 'bout that. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance also, my friend. Great minds do often think alike! I know some people here think I'm nuts. "Bullion is bullion. Gold is gold. Silver is silver.". And that's true most of the time. Until and except when it isn't. It has often been said that numbers lie and that's true also, but not in this case. I challenge anyone to find the scarcer issues of middle range AGE's (1/2 and 1/4 oz) at the same price as they would the common ones. Unless they find someone who just doesn't realize what they have, it'll be quite difficult- that I'm sure of.

Case in point: I had picked up a 1990 1/4 oz AGE off of Ebay a few to several years back for $550 and it was even graded by PCGS as MS-69 (I know. The horror.). Anyway, I left it in the slab and now that very same coin would conservatively sell for somewhere between $1350 and $1925. Someone only needs to check actual sold prices and they'll see the verifiable proof. So, I'd say I've done okay in that regard. Note: I do not send bullion in to be graded, but I'll sure as sh*t buy them if the price is the same (or very close) and if they're of a scarcer mintage. Common date ones I'll just crack out, put in capsules and store them. Especially when someone else has already paid for the service and it's an MS-70 or at the very least an MS-69, which IMO, they all should be close to in grade anyway. Probably an average of MS-67/68, anyway- but you get the point. The crazed registry set people will only go ga-ga for 70's and the occasional 69.

Also, IMO it is mishandling of said coins most often by coin dealers, customers, stackers or collectors themselves, who have clinked them against each other in tubes or dropped them on the floor that makes them less desirable and "grade" less. None of my bullion will have those dings, scratches, gouges or fingerprints on them. Yup, I'll loupe them just like I loupe my rare numismatic coins and choose accordingly. Unfortunately, most coin dealers and bullion sellers have caught on to the scarcity of bullion mintage phenomenon and have adjusted their prices accordingly. So, it is on us to be ahead of the game, using our knowledge and paying close enough attention to current and past mintages that determines if we can benefit or profit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    you talking about the elusive 1994 1/15th oz GML?
    I have 2 of those 1/15th.oz. Bought them many years ago. I paid $95.00 for the first one and $100.00 for the second one. Getting harder to find these days.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12