Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990 1/2 oz American Gold Eagle BU (MCMXC) Is Now Available For Purchase...SOLD IN RECORD TIME!

Default 1990 1/2 oz American Gold Eagle BU (MCMXC) Is Now Available For Purchase...SOLD IN RECORD TIME!

Just an update to share on some FEROCIOUS demand for key date (low mintage) 1/2 oz AND some 1/4 oz Gold American Eagles.

I've had "contact me" status on APMEX for a number of lower mintage dates. Some have come up resulting in acquisition. Don't even ask me re the key lesser Canadian Maple denominations and dates...it's even worse. Nonexistent!

Lately, after checking my e-mail less than an hour from APMEX posting (or receiving...Yahoo is notorious for send delays) it's "SOLD". DOH! Now I understand the importance of text to my mobile phone.

I post this only since I've been monitoring this for some time, made numerous acquisitions and wanted to share this "underground" action. Demand is spiking on low mintage in the 24,100 unit (1991 1/2 oz) and 34,007 year 2007 1/4 oz Eagle and above SOME date denominations. Study mintages carefully! Lord knows where this trend will go.

Hey Dig...sound familiar? I picked this up from collecting Chinese 1/2 oz Pandas years ago LOL.
    Gold. The only money that matters. The only money that lasts.

Yes, sounds familiar alright. Just as you say, same thing with the key date 1/2 oz. gold Pandas. Same game. Get them while you can. Gold is down $34.50 this morning...but not down 1 penny on these hard to find key dates. Numi key coins pays no attention to the bullion prices.

I have a roll of untouched 2007 silver 1 oz. eagles and was offered $10.00 over melt per coin. Not really a key date, but getting harder to find. Anyways, I turned the offer down.

Good luck on your hunt.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    Yes, sounds familiar alright. Just as you say, same thing with the key date 1/2 oz. gold Pandas. Same game. Get them while you can. Gold is down $34.50 this morning...but not down 1 penny on these hard to find key dates. Numi key coins pays no attention to the bullion prices.

I have a roll of untouched 2007 silver 1 oz. eagles and was offered $10.00 over melt per coin. Not really a key date, but getting harder to find. Anyways, I turned the offer down.

Good luck on your hunt.
    semi numis are good too

have you look into british lunar coins? they are even rarer (less mintage) but it seem less attention to them as well.
    I can't seem to find their 2022 year of tiger series, maybe british royal mint stop minting them.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    semi numis are good too

have you look into british lunar coins? they are even rarer (less mintage) but it seem less attention to them as well.
    I can't seem to find their 2022 year of tiger series, maybe british royal mint stop minting them.
    Not the British ones Yellowsnow. I bought a fair amount of Aussie lunar gold/silver over the years. They would offer several different coins for each critter. Not sure how many Year of the Dragon coins I have...but lots. Have a few Roo's as well.

Yes, yes, yes!! This is what I've been trying to tell some people for a long time. It may be hard to believe, but yes, even "common" bullion coins, certain years mind you and not all of them, have actually acquired numismatic status. We aren't talking about the proofs, either. As you've just stated, it's important to watch mintages closely, as generally the earlier, low mintage stuff is very difficult to find and hence, has shot up in cost to acquire it. This is also as you've stated, specifically related to the 1/2 and 1/4 oz sizes. I totally understand that in general, buying AGE's in the full 1-ounce size will save you some on the premium, but if you pick up the lower mintage ones, then just buy 2 or 4 and it's the same amount of gold, isn't it? And they're produced in far smaller numbers. There's also the divisibility factor and if you ever had to or chose to sell, you might not have to sell them all. Just in general, the 1st 2 years of 1/4 and 1/2 oz. AGE's were overproduced, but from 1988 to about 1996, and then again in 2007, the mintages were very low historically and it seems many people are now trying to put together sets as they're reasonably attainable. I myself have done so and add multiples of the good years. From what I've seen, the last few years could someday also turn out to be "better dates" and the jury is still out on what will happen to the 2021 Type 1's long term, but we'll just have to see. So far, from what I've seen, the Type 1's are selling for much more than the Type 2's. I do from time to time, post the mintages here for those who are interested to see, so that we can stay ahead of the game.

Not the British ones Yellowsnow. I bought a fair amount of Aussie lunar gold/silver over the years. They would offer several different coins for each critter. Not sure how many Year of the Dragon coins I have...but lots. Have a few Roo's as well.
    i stop buying perth lunars after the rooster, the premium is getting out of hands.
    Only have 1 silver dragon bought from aftermarket, mint supplies were sold out quickly and after market premium too crazy

the british lunars are very low mintage, due to poor demand mostly. I think they only sell proof in 2022 series.

Bronkster1967:...we are on the same page.

Yellowsnow:...Queens portrait is not very purdy. Canadian mint had a lunar series and it didn't do very well. I think that their history of pumping out toy coins hurt the sales.

Slightly off topic:... If anyone gets a chance to view Empires of Silver I highly recommend the 3 part series...or the book.

Bronkster1967:...we are on the same page.

Yellowsnow:...Queens portrait is not very purdy. Canadian mint had a lunar series and it didn't do very well. I think that their history of pumping out toy coins hurt the sales.

Slightly off topic:... If anyone gets a chance to view Empires of Silver I highly recommend the 3 part series...or the book.
    RCM products are overpriced is my main complaint. Their lunar designs are too cartoonist is my second dislike.

I came across the Empires of silver (the movie) few years ago on youtube, i think it was in chinese language with sub titles so i didn't watch it all.
    i read somewhere that it was when banksters manipulated the price of silver to record low in the 1930's, china economy and political power follow suit, hence the emergence of communist party

https://www.macrotrends.net/1470/his...100-year-chart
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 01-07-2022 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    RCM products are overpriced is my main complaint. Their lunar designs are too cartoonist is my second dislike.

I came across the Empires of silver (the movie) few years ago on youtube, i think it was in chinese language with sub titles so i didn't watch it all.
    i read somewhere that it was when banksters manipulated the price of silver to record low in the 1930's, china economy and political power follow suit, hence the emergence of communist party

https://www.macrotrends.net/1470/his...100-year-chart
    Yes you are on the right track. Haven't checked You-Tube but it should be available in English. The history of silver starts in the late 1500's. Gained popularity because of the first form of governmental taxation came into being. Plus people didn't like or trust the pieces of paper issued that long ago. It is well written and well researched as it deals with the international trade. Loaded with historical facts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast