Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are metals dying?

Default Are metals dying?

I love gold and silver. I have been stacking for over a decade and personally believe in them. What I have noticed though is most the people who share my view are older and are dying off. Not many 20 & 30 year olds that are into metals from what I can see. They are all about trading stocks and crypto on their phones. Look at the collective power they have with things like game stop. Sure there are the industrial demands but I am starting to worry that we are being phased out. A decade ago the economic uncertainty we are facing now would have sent gold and silver to the moon but currently they have basically done nothing but crypto has exploded. I own some crypto and have read a ton and understand it very well but I just don't have that much faith in it. I want something shiny I can hold in my hand not 1s and 0s on a computer but I am starting to think I am in the minority and may be missing the boat. I am not to the point I want to sell but I am sure hesitant to buy any more. If the money printing that is going on now and the inflation of almost all goods we are seeing hasn't driven gold and silver up I am not sure what will.

Check this out before you throw all your PMs in the lake:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wallstreetsilver/

There are plenty of young stackers, probably more than 20 year ago. Gold is banker money and silver is industrial, so I wouldn't fret too much.

Also, crypto is the door to total control.
    Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 05-13-2021 at 11:50 AM.

There's really no right or wrong answer, if you like holding gold and silver and aren't hurting yourself financially by doing so then I don't see a problem. No one has a crystal ball and life is short anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by southwest stacker View Post
    I love gold and silver. I have been stacking for over a decade and personally believe in them. What I have noticed though is most the people who share my view are older and are dying off. Not many 20 & 30 year olds that are into metals from what I can see. They are all about trading stocks and crypto on their phones. Look at the collective power they have with things like game stop. Sure there are the industrial demands but I am starting to worry that we are being phased out. A decade ago the economic uncertainty we are facing now would have sent gold and silver to the moon but currently they have basically done nothing but crypto has exploded. I own some crypto and have read a ton and understand it very well but I just don't have that much faith in it. I want something shiny I can hold in my hand not 1s and 0s on a computer but I am starting to think I am in the minority and may be missing the boat. I am not to the point I want to sell but I am sure hesitant to buy any more. If the money printing that is going on now and the inflation of almost all goods we are seeing hasn't driven gold and silver up I am not sure what will.

yesterday it was bitcoin, today dogcoin, tomorrow bongcoin and next week djingcoin? It is gonna rain coins having no value. The value of all those coins is situated in the bidding against one another of the participants, arbitrage of illusions of scarcity. I just am wondering why all those banks have not yet thrown their own coins on the market. It is so easy to make money out of nothing and all that youth has heaps of scarce nothings.

Makes me laugh.

Golditiki2+++

Quote Originally Posted by golditiki2 View Post
    yesterday it was bitcoin, today dogcoin, tomorrow bongcoin and next week djingcoin? It is gonna rain coins having no value. The value of all those coins is situated in the bidding against one another of the participants, arbitrage of illusions of scarcity. I just am wondering why all those banks have not yet thrown their own coins on the market. It is so easy to make money out of nothing and all that youth has heaps of scarce nothings.

Makes me laugh.

Golditiki2+++
    Soon crypto will create more fiat than the FED.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    There are plenty of young stackers, probably more than 20 year ago. Gold is banker money and silver is industrial, so I wouldn't fret too much.
    True. When I was a boy and started collecting coins, all the dealers and collectors I knew were old, and this was back in the 70's and 80's. The thing that worries me is that with modern coins now only being of nuisance worth (as opposed to when I was a boy and school lunch cost a quarter, and if I was lucky, I would find a silver quarter and skip lunch), fewer of today's generation will take interest in coinage and the history of money. Also with woman and gold, it seems fake costume jewelry, and plated is now enough for many. Hard to really know what turns in sentiment will happen, maybe all this excitement with digital things is just a phase given the recent spread of the "smart phone", and the beauty and desire for physical will return once digital novelty wears off?

Or will we become like Wall-E world?
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    True. When I was a boy and started collecting coins, all the dealers and collectors I knew were old, and this was back in the 70's and 80's. The thing that worries me is that with modern coins now only being of nuisance worth (as opposed to when I was a boy and school lunch cost a quarter, and if I was lucky, I would find a silver quarter and skip lunch), fewer of today's generation will take interest in coinage and the history of money. Also with woman and gold, it seems fake costume jewelry, and plated is now enough for many. Hard to really know what turns in sentiment will happen, maybe all this excitement with digital things is just a phase given the recent spread of the "smart phone", and the beauty and desire for physical will return once digital novelty wears off?

Or will we become like Wall-E world?
    I agree with what you and Atlas have said here. I'm not worried in the least, either. I know that it's common belief that there are no young coin collectors or stackers, but I'm here to say that it's just not true- at least not to the degree that everyone thinks it is and at least not in my little microcosm of the world. People's eyes have been and are opened to what's going on and what they need to do.

I'm officially retired and draw a pension, but as a side gig, I sell antiques and collectibles- many of which are coins. And I've sold many coins to young people who are constantly having it reinforced by their parents and guys like me to collect coins and stack PM's. I even go so far as to give kids coins for free (with their parents permission and while they are there, of course) like common date Indian head cents and Lincoln wheatback cents and some foreign coins- usually worth anywhere between a quarter and $2 each. It helps get them started and steered in the "right direction" (aka "off crack") I consider it an investment in the future, for one. And two, I always suggest to them that when they can, they start buying silver and/or gold coins. I always tell them to start small and get their feet wet and when they find it interesting as many of them do because of the history behind coinage and money, to delve deeper into it over time. It seems to be working as I get many people who come back to me time and time again.

As for jewelry, I sell a lot of sterling silver jewelry and do very well at it. We generally keep the gold. I test all of it and do not sell any of the plated junk, although I do have quite a bit of higher end costume jewelry which I just don't bother to put out because of space considerations. It's really something that one needs to sell online to do well with. Anyway, I also wanted to say that even though sometimes it seems like technology is a bane to analog aged people, it can still be useful. Case in point... In this information age, just the significance of Youtube as well as all of the other sites and the sheer number of videos that open the publics eyes to stacking PM's, gets that information out to larger numbers of people than anyone here ever could singly and that's worldwide. It's audience is huge and even though some of it is just garbage, some of it is right on point. No matter what, it generates interest, which is key to the matter at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by southwest stacker View Post
    Gold and silver are real money. Everything else is a fad. When cryptos crash, and fiat is inflated to infinity or death...you will always have true value. So worry not and buy the dips...there is no better insurance policy than gold.

Its been that way for 2500 yrs, I dont see that being fazed out...but the fraudsters can not operate in honest money, they have to invent something fake because they produce and add value to nothing.

There are a lot more people who value gold than you know.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    . . . common belief that there are no young coin collectors or stackers, but I'm here to say that it's just not true- at least not to the degree that everyone thinks it is . . . .
    Let's get some data. . . . How about everybody visit their LCS and ask the person working/ owning about what's the typical age distribution?
    No his mind is not for rent
    To any god or government
    Always hopeful, yet discontent
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    Let's get some data. . . . How about everybody visit their LCS and ask the person working/ owning about what's the typical age distribution?
    That would be an interesting thing to find out... I'd really like to know how it is in other parts of the country and not just this part of New York State. I do believe that collecting is nothing like it used to be (the numbers of people involved in it, that is), but I have seen a resurgence in this local area- perhaps because of all the money printing and people's eyes have been opened?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast