Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 USMint Morgan and Peace dollars

Default 2021 USMint Morgan and Peace dollars

Hello, is anyone considering the purchase of the .86 ozt .999 commemorative silver dollars being released soon from the USMint? With a price of $85 each and the fact they are not really even similar in purity and weight I am probably going to pass. It seems like they are just an attempt at spoofing the public with a whole new category of dimensions (size, weight and purity) of the iconic coins for circulation from the last century. I really think they could have done a much better job of recreation and am disappointed with the mint.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    Hello, is anyone considering the purchase of the .86 ozt .999 commemorative silver dollars being released soon from the USMint? With a price of $85 each and the fact they are not really even similar in purity and weight I am probably going to pass. It seems like they are just an attempt at spoofing the public with a whole new category of dimensions (size, weight and purity) of the iconic coins for circulation from the last century. I really think they could have done a much better job of recreation and am disappointed with the mint.
    $85.00 is a hefty price tag alright. They may pop when they first come out, especially any grading in the 70's and then settle down in price. Meh..depends on mintage, how the overall look is, but these made for collectables are usually just another coin over time. Set collectors may like them.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Had they done them in 90%, I may have been in... even with the privy mint mark nonsense... but these " coins" are Morgan and peace dollars in name only.

Then alone the late release...
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Yea the 'privy mark' thing seems kinda weak. The composition is another thing, but most/all of the 90% commemorative silver dollars are worthless today. The Morgan/Peace is a classic design that people love. Mintage is 200k or less for all of them, but being non-circulating and not priced as bullion though, that could be too high for any appreciation. IDK what to think...might buy a couple Peace, just coz I'd like to see what a full strike looks like lol. If they're $30 by Thanksgiving it won't hurt that bad.

Anyone with a mint state example of morgan and peace knows that strike is everything. Some truly beautiful coins there are. If this has the finish of a stale silver eagle it wouldbe a shame. Looks rather flat from these photos.
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/morgan-20...oduct-schedule
    I would be muvh more interested in a proof version, peace especially.
    Last edited by and4rik; 05-08-2021 at 07:17 PM.

I'll pass on this watered down version of a Morgan as I already own the 'Real McCoy'...LOL
    Stacking since the late 1970's

Bullion coins sold at crazy markups. Something the US mint is good at. No thanks. There's full 1 troy ounce bullion "morgan" rounds available for much less fiat.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

YES yes and yes. I agree with what everyone here has said. It is just a glorified attempt at a one ounce round. I would much rather have the 2001 $1 American Buffalo:
    Total Mintage: 272,869
    Proof 70 Population: 1,617
    Composition: 90% Silver and 10% Copper
    Purity: 0.9000
    Weight: 26.7300g
    ASW: 0.7734 oz
    Diameter: 38.1mm

Why the mint did not recreate the Peace and Morgan dollars the same way remains a mystery to me. I believe they would have had a much better version than these "off the wall" coins. jmho

i sure don't want to remember another fractional weight (.858 oz) of a silver dollar

saw some e bay bubble prices, Buy it Now range from $250 to $500, insanely stupid.

It has no historical or numismatic content. Just another gov't issued bullion, and i thought ASE premium was high
    Artificial low mintage is NOT an automatic numismatic.

It has no resemblance to original morgan other than the name and design.
    Geez, morgan rounds can serve that purpose for much much less premium.
    The 2021 morgan has matte finish. A shiny MS64 common pre21 morgan is way prettier, at similar price.
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 03-08-2022 at 07:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast