Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 burnished 2008-w platinum eagle

Default 1/4 burnished 2008-w platinum eagle

Hi all,

Bought some 1/4 platinum coins yesterday and this was in the mix sold to me as bullion, the other's were common 2000 and 2002 with the regular eagle on the back. Is this anything special or sought after by collectors? Or just a few dollars more than the bullion forms? Thank you for any comments.

if it is a true burnished which with the W mint mark it seems to be then yes it does carry extra value. did it come with the box and coa?

Quote Originally Posted by jrtjrt View Post
    Hi all,

Bought some 1/4 platinum coins yesterday and this was in the mix sold to me as bullion, the other's were common 2000 and 2002 with the regular eagle on the back. Is this anything special or sought after by collectors? Or just a few dollars more than the bullion forms? Thank you for any comments.
    Do you know how many were minted, if not find out. I would look this coin up on ebay's completed sold items list to see if there is a value higher than the others. So a little leg work first. If so, then consider getting it graded if it is pristine, no scratches or fingerprints. A score of MS 70 or PF70 can bring a healthy boost to the value, and to me worth the gamble. Burnish coins seem to sell for more so if you were considering selling your platinum portfolio I'd just hang onto this one. Just my 2 cents jrtjrt. Good luck.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Hi all,

Our esteemed forum members Max and Dig have brought up some good points and asked some great questions. It would appear that your burnished 2008 W 1/4 oz. Platinum American Eagle is indeed a very low mintage coin (a total of 2,481 only) and the last 4 confirmed sales of ungraded ones on eBay in March of this year have it selling in the $1,000 to $1050 range if the original box and papers are present. That sounds pretty damn good to me since a full ounce of platinum spot is approximately $1200 and change. Apparently that coin has picked up some numismatic value even though it's just a "bullion coin". Looks like the combination of low mintage and decent design of a desirable PM has made it so. The other 3 most recent sales were 2 in February and 1 in March of this year with all of them being graded and one of them being a proof coin so presumably not applicable to your situation. The non proof ones sold for $910 and $1100 respectively. Sounds like you got lucky when they sent you that one. Great job!

Good stuff Bronkster. Top notch research on your part, and thank you for that extra effort. Very encouraging for jrtjrt.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    Do you know how many were minted, if not find out. I would look this coin up on ebay's completed sold items list to see if there is a value higher than the others. So a little leg work first. If so, then consider getting it graded if it is pristine, no scratches or fingerprints. A score of MS 70 or PF70 can bring a healthy boost to the value, and to me worth the gamble. Burnish coins seem to sell for more so if you were considering selling your platinum portfolio I'd just hang onto this one. Just my 2 cents jrtjrt. Good luck.
    also, if there is a local coin show opening up again in your area it would be worth the trip possibly as quite often there is a free grading table by a representative from one of the grading companies who would tell you what you possibly have before spending money sending it in for grading. just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    Our esteemed forum members Max and Dig have brought up some good points and asked some great questions. It would appear that your burnished 2008 W 1/4 oz. Platinum American Eagle is indeed a very low mintage coin (a total of 2,481 only) and the last 4 confirmed sales of ungraded ones on eBay in March of this year have it selling in the $1,000 to $1050 range if the original box and papers are present. That sounds pretty damn good to me since a full ounce of platinum spot is approximately $1200 and change. Apparently that coin has picked up some numismatic value even though it's just a "bullion coin". Looks like the combination of low mintage and decent design of a desirable PM has made it so. The other 3 most recent sales were 2 in February and 1 in March of this year with all of them being graded and one of them being a proof coin so presumably not applicable to your situation. The non proof ones sold for $910 and $1100 respectively. Sounds like you got lucky when they sent you that one. Great job!
    hey Bronkster, thanks for the extra effort for him and also for the accolades.

To Max and Dig... You guys have both been here much longer than me and I have always seen both of you (and others, of course) try to help others in their stacking and collecting endeavors. Sometimes it's information or research and sometimes it's just offering your wisdom, experience, and advice to those less knowing. To me, that's commendable and you both deserve the respect given. I really do look at this as a community of stackers. Generally, we're all doing this for the same reasons even if everyone here doesn't always agree on everything all the time. That's what makes the world go 'round, right?

The bottom line is that most of us who have become regulars in the forum all have something to bring to the table. I even lurked for a few years before I actually joined, but I can say for sure that I've picked up on a lot of suggestions/information and it's worked to my benefit. I always appreciate points of view from different people because it makes me look at things in a way I might not have. Anyway, I too, try to help out others as much as I can, if I think I can.

Hi all,

Thank you for the info and time . It does not have a coa or box, it came in a generic capsule. I opened the capsule and there is a very small ding on the reeded edge of the coin, the face of the coin is flawless as is the back design. Burnished 2008-w, I know it won't get a 69-or 70 with that small chunk missing from it. I'll try to get 100$ over spot for it something along those lines. Don't really want to pay 50$ for grading it, will try to find a collector who would appreciate it. Giving the person a good deal in the process.

Hi all,

Thank you for the info and time . It does not have a coa or box, it came in a generic capsule. I opened the capsule and there is a very small ding on the reeded edge of the coin, the face of the coin is flawless as is the back design. Burnished 2008-w, I know it won't get a 69-or 70 with that small chunk missing from it. I'll try to get 100$ over spot for it something along those lines. Don't really want to pay 50$ for grading it, will try to find a collector who would appreciate it. Giving the person a good deal in the process.
    What are you looking to get from it? I have been known to send off a coin for grading for schitts and giggles.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast