Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alexander the Great

I agree. I have sold my US that is ....."easy".... to find. Holding the rare ones and coins of historic interest.
    New purchases are tending to be "mostly" foreign as the designs are varied and I can find interest in them.

I watched the Netflix current documentary on art faking. Seems coins are far more certain than art to be authentic.

Default I'll TRY to get a pic to show.

Next stop is microfilm I guess.

kitco eentsy.jpg

Nope. Still not showing. Will try a hosted image.....

kitco eentsy.jpg

Still nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
    Next stop is microfilm I guess.

kitco eentsy.jpg

Nope. Still not showing. Will try a hosted image.....

kitco eentsy.jpg

Still nope.
    I can see it....very cool....great to have another ancient collector here!!!
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

I don't go whole hog into ancients since reading the NGC guarantee.

"NGC Ancients is committed to grading only genuine coins, but it does not guarantee authenticity, genuineness or attribution, nor is any guarantee of these aspects implied. NGC Ancients will only holder coins it considers genuine at the time of submission, but it cannot guarantee the authenticity, genuineness, type, attribution or date of any coin it holders. Unlike modern coins, which often benefit from well-documented, scientific parameters for the verification of authenticity, there rarely is conclusive data for ancient coins, and generally there is no surviving documentation to verify production characteristics.

Almost without exception, ancient coins have been recovered from burial, either under land or water. Some recoveries date back centuries, while others are more recent. Even in ancient times, coins were counterfeited, copied and imitated. If a particular submitted coin can positively be connected to a specific find or recovery that is documented, or is on track for documentation, it will be so designated if requested to do so by the submitter. However, even with these coins there can be no guarantee of their genuineness."

I don't think it's a killer, but it still slowed me waaaaaay down on ancients.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
    I don't go whole hog into ancients since reading the NGC guarantee.

"NGC Ancients is committed to grading only genuine coins, but it does not guarantee authenticity, genuineness or attribution, nor is any guarantee of these aspects implied. NGC Ancients will only holder coins it considers genuine at the time of submission, but it cannot guarantee the authenticity, genuineness, type, attribution or date of any coin it holders. Unlike modern coins, which often benefit from well-documented, scientific parameters for the verification of authenticity, there rarely is conclusive data for ancient coins, and generally there is no surviving documentation to verify production characteristics.

Almost without exception, ancient coins have been recovered from burial, either under land or water. Some recoveries date back centuries, while others are more recent. Even in ancient times, coins were counterfeited, copied and imitated. If a particular submitted coin can positively be connected to a specific find or recovery that is documented, or is on track for documentation, it will be so designated if requested to do so by the submitter. However, even with these coins there can be no guarantee of their genuineness."

I don't think it's a killer, but it still slowed me waaaaaay down on ancients.
    Sounds like a standard disclaimer....think of the legal trouble they could get in if they didn't say this? Is it worth $40 to grade a coin if it destroys your business? Also, some of these coins are 2500 yrs old....how could you possible guarantee they are genuine?

My friend has had ancients returned for being what they thought were counterfeit coins when he thought they were genuine, so I believe they do err on the side of caution. If they are not pretty sure, they return them, no fee charged.

I don't believe there are any greater experts on these coins than NGC, if I see them NGC slabbed, im satisfied, cant say that with all grading companies.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Oh, I still collect ancients. And in NGC plastic. I just pulled in my horns when we discussed the ramifications of the disclaimer on a coin site.
    I had this one.
    It ...worried...me. TOO good. I have a bunch of old coins and they have a "look" that says age.
    This one didn't. I sold it for a bit more than I paid but still stay in the minor leagues now on ancients.

Recently bought a "modern" heh heh. 15th century modern.

I still like NGC.

Wow that Stater looks newly minted!!!! Id think too good....but it graded lower than mine...the weight is nearly the same as mine. Strange, thats why I cant buy and sell these. How they are graded is a mystery to me.

That would be a great place to work tho, touching these coins all day.

Love your Seville coin Pyrite, and gold silver from that period as well. I missed the boat years ago when NGC started grading and verifying shipwreck gold/silver coins. They have skyrocketed since then, especially in the higher grades. I stayed away from the ancients due to the lack of qualified people up in my area, but still hold them in high esteem, great eye candy.

Appreciate Mitey and Pyrite sharing these oldies.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    Love your Seville coin Pyrite, and gold silver from that period as well. I missed the boat years ago when NGC started grading and verifying shipwreck gold/silver coins. They have skyrocketed since then, especially in the higher grades. I stayed away from the ancients due to the lack of qualified people up in my area, but still hold them in high esteem, great eye candy.

My pleasure Digi, I have about 100 ancients....Ill post them up here and there, and if WindWeaver can put the pics on ill keep going lol.

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post

I bought an El Cazador shipwreck 8 Real because I (thought) I has lost mine.
    Nope. Found it at the bottom of the gun safe.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast