Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great depression Two

Quote Originally Posted by harleyjohn45 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by..."These prices are your grandparents prices".

I think he meant, you will see prices like your grandfather, I actually doubt that, but we could see a lot of pain. No one is going to give you a farm for a gold eagle. In 1937 the year I was born, my father could have bought a 500 acre farm for 500.00. The problem was he only made 60.00 that year.
    Yeah, back in 1970 I was offered 10 acres of Napa Valley hillside planted with walnut trees for $19K, but I was in the navy and making about $300-$350/month. I couldn't afford the 5 acres for $10K either.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Yeah, back in 1970 I was offered 10 acres of Napa Valley hillside planted with walnut trees for $19K, but I was in the navy and making about $300-$350/month. I couldn't afford the 5 acres for $10K either.
    I feel your pain. This doesn't have anything to do with acquiring land, yet still parallels the commonly held true stories of missed opportunities. My own personal experience of "Oh, how things could have been..." goes something like this: in 1986 I was a student in my first year of college, and as it is commonly referred to today "broke as f**k", but there was talk around the campus of some computer company or something that had an IPO recently. Well, that company was Microsoft. Now lamenting my misfortune of not having been able to purchase said stock for $21 a share that has now split several times and made anyone who bought and continued to hold it fabulously wealthy. It had actually risen a bit by the time I'd heard about it so I wouldn't have gotten it at the $21 price, but you get the gist. A small, simple investment of $1,000 or $5,000 would have changed my life, made it easier anyway, but I am where I am and it is what it is.

All forms of money received and used by all labour and goods exchange has been USD within fiat banking System which is simply a system with unlimited symbols and unlimited digits at the mercy of System owner. This infrastructure use infinite cost to operate now upgraded to internet based blockchain to store all rubbish transactions that attempt to legitimise that is support by media and legal profession as "real" money. The psychology of reality of truth is longevity of repeatable eternal truth and so blockchain deliver these blocks of information of transactions that call these digits as money. Nobody vote for fiat or military but conquerer enforced legal tender is the basis of protection of a country. Without these fascist numbers, corrupt media and wallstreet shares do not exist. The tulip mania is not about the tulip but the exchange which attracts ppl to participate with stories like movie Wolves of the Wallstreet.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    The stock market will go up until all the hopium fuel runs out...then it will crash. It is WAY overextended based on economic activity.

After the crash (April / May timeframe, maybe sooner) the gov and fed will pour gasoline on the fire and the FRN will die.

PS: Gold to the moon...
    I'm a believer that it's always good to revisit one's predictions of the future to see if their "worldview" matches any semblance of reality.

So . .. Zero for 5 predictions here: No April crash, No May crash, Not sooner, FRN still alive, Gold not to the moon.

If anyone wants EASY MONEY, just bet opposite of AS's doomer predictions.
    No his mind is not for rent
    To any god or government
    Always hopeful, yet discontent
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    I'm a believer that it's always good to revisit one's predictions of the future to see if their "worldview" matches any semblance of reality.

So . .. Zero for 5 predictions here: No April crash, No May crash, Not sooner, FRN still alive, Gold not to the moon.

If anyone wants EASY MONEY, just bet opposite of AS's doomer predictions.
    Really? Gold has been doing fairly well since this post. Biden and company have filled the fire trucks with gasoline; they are just waiting to start pumping.

The stonk market? It has been in correction mode with the exception of some real big names. Bet against me all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    I feel your pain. This doesn't have anything to do with acquiring land, yet still parallels the commonly held true stories of missed opportunities. My own personal experience of "Oh, how things could have been..." goes something like this: in 1986 I was a student in my first year of college, and as it is commonly referred to today "broke as f**k", but there was talk around the campus of some computer company or something that had an IPO recently. Well, that company was Microsoft. Now lamenting my misfortune of not having been able to purchase said stock for $21 a share that has now split several times and made anyone who bought and continued to hold it fabulously wealthy. It had actually risen a bit by the time I'd heard about it so I wouldn't have gotten it at the $21 price, but you get the gist. A small, simple investment of $1,000 or $5,000 would have changed my life, made it easier anyway, but I am where I am and it is what it is.
    My Dad bought 35 shares of Microsoft well before the first split. It then went down $8 a share, and he scraped some more money together and bought another 7 shares, so he had $42 total. He's never sold it. After all those stock splits (once was 3 for 1), he now has 5000 shares. Currently around $250.00 per share . . . . you do the math. I tell him he ought to sell it and spend some of that money while he can (he's 90 years old this year), but he won't do it. Growing up poor during the depression had a strong impact on his outlook on financial matters.
    Last edited by LeadHead; 05-28-2021 at 01:48 PM.
    "It's the lure of easy money - It's got a very strong appeal." - Glenn Frey (The Smuggler's Blues)

"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned." - Thomas Jefferson

The stock market will go up until all the hopium fuel runs out...then it will crash. It is WAY overextended based on economic activity.

After the crash (April / May timeframe, maybe sooner) the gov and fed will pour gasoline on the fire and the FRN will die.

PS: Gold to the moon...
    are we there yet?

i can't see a better investment than stock during inflation.
    Gold miners would moon higher than gold.

Really? Gold has been doing fairly well since this post. Biden and company have filled the fire trucks with gasoline; they are just waiting to start pumping.

The stonk market? It has been in correction mode with the exception of some real big names. Bet against me all you want.
    I love betting against the people who are the pessimistic, negative Nancy. Sure, you'll eventually be right, ONCE, but I will be right all the other times and I'll take those odds all I want indeed.

You stated "crash" and "WAY overextended" in the post, not "correction mode with exceptions". Let's just agree that was a swing and a miss.
    and "doing fairly well" is not "Gold to the moon..." . Right?

Or is your cognitive dis so triggered and your worldview so shattered (really, AS, it has been a decade now that you've been preaching this same erroneous doomer pitch) . . that you are word thinking your way into feeling better about your losses (clutching to gold, cash money and nickel boxes).

No hard feelings, but ya know . . hard to argue the facts.
    No his mind is not for rent
    To any god or government
    Always hopeful, yet discontent
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    I love betting against the people who are the pessimistic, negative Nancy. Sure, you'll eventually be right, ONCE, but I will be right all the other times and I'll take those odds all I want indeed.

You stated "crash" and "WAY overextended" in the post, not "correction mode with exceptions". Let's just agree that was a swing and a miss.
    and "doing fairly well" is not "Gold to the moon..." . Right?

Or is your cognitive dis so triggered and your worldview so shattered (really, AS, it has been a decade now that you've been preaching this same erroneous doomer pitch) . . that you are word thinking your way into feeling better about your losses (clutching to gold, cash money and nickel boxes).

No hard feelings, but ya know . . hard to argue the facts.
    It is hard to find a better asset to have been invested in this century, than gold
    The 12/31/1999 price was $290.30. You can do the math. Far better return than even the high flying US stock indexes including their dividends.

I only wish I had had more of my money invested in gold bullion instead of small % then.

As for the future I have no idea, but I do know one thing.

Everything that the gold bugs said about fiat currency and how governments would debase it and abuse it, have come true in spades. I was not totally convinced at one time.

I would be very careful with most stocks, coming into the fall. The good times are mostly priced into the markets. Negative events, of any sort, are not. ( of course none may occur and they could continue to trend up)

I have a different view of cash, or near cash, then many. Although it earns sub inflation returns, it earns extraordinary returns when markets correct violently. like they tend to do every so often.
    Not only do you not have to sell anything ( possibly) at a low, if you need money, you sleep better knowing that a significant correction is a buying opportunity.

All assets have their place in a portfolio, it is just the allocation at different times of market cycles and your life cycle, along with your psychological profile, and very importantly, do you have enough now, and want to keep its purchasing power, or do you need more. My humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by brutus2 View Post

All assets have their place in a portfolio
    Great post Brutus...but this is especially important...being liquid to cover emergencies will allow you to bypass a very costly mistake...having to sell another asset at less than ideal price.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast