Thread: American Ghost Cities

Default American Ghost Cities

Remember the stories of China's Ghost Cities? Where they built just to be building and investors bought but no one needed the units.

Hudson Yards A Ghost Town, Investors Panic As Company 'Admits' Financial Problems

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/...ncial-problems

Hudson Yards is open for business - but who is coming?

Hudson Yards, the largest private development in the US, opened nearly two years ago with much optimism. It's a massive complex on Manhattan's Far West Side with condos, office space, and retailers built over a massive railroad yard. But since the virus pandemic, shoppers have vanished, and retailers have shuttered their doors, transforming the area into a ghost town - raising questions about the $25 billion development's future, according to NYTimes.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Quote Originally Posted by redraspberry View Post
    Remember the stories of China's Ghost Cities? Where they built just to be building and investors bought but no one needed the units.

Hudson Yards A Ghost Town, Investors Panic As Company 'Admits' Financial Problems

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/...ncial-problems

Hudson Yards is open for business - but who is coming?

Hudson Yards, the largest private development in the US, opened nearly two years ago with much optimism. It's a massive complex on Manhattan's Far West Side with condos, office space, and retailers built over a massive railroad yard. But since the virus pandemic, shoppers have vanished, and retailers have shuttered their doors, transforming the area into a ghost town - raising questions about the $25 billion development's future, according to NYTimes.
    I always wondered this about Hudson Yards. For anyone that knows Manhattan it's way the hell out of the way from everything else in the city. It's like downtown Manhattan v2. In the summer of 2019 I moved from working in midtown down to working in the World Financial Center at Brookfield place down in battery city. Everything is brand new and no one is there. The brookfield place mall has every high end retailer you could imagine and they're all completely empty every day of the week. Kamakura Shirts had a little 15x20ft pop up store in the mall and the worker was telling me one day that the rent is $10K a month. And the store was in a hallway connecting the two buildings that make up the property. How many shirts you need to sell to get $10K a month? Anyways they closed up before the pandemic even hit.

But this trend of building developments around housing / shopping / tourism in NYC just doesn't work. It's obviously over now but what's left if an eyesore for sure. Hudson Yards in particular even ruined the NY skyline. When you're coming down the helix into the lincoln tunnel you can't see the empire state building anymore cause it's blocked by Hudson yards.

Another interesting thing is what's going on in Hoboken with Rentals. There's multi families on the market for $1.5M, $2M, $2.5M. The properies are 2, or 3 or maybe 4 units at the most. In the comments it says things like "Unit 1 currently collecting $3,500 rent, pre covid rent was $4K, Units 2 and 3 pre-covid rent was $3,500 but are currently vacant"..... So in other words, a $1.5M property that's currently getting $3,500 in rent.....right.....sounds like a great deal......

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyAllMyLife View Post
    I always wondered this about Hudson Yards. For anyone that knows Manhattan it's way the hell out of the way from everything else in the city. It's like downtown Manhattan v2. In the summer of 2019 I moved from working in midtown down to working in the World Financial Center at Brookfield place down in battery city. Everything is brand new and no one is there. The brookfield place mall has every high end retailer you could imagine and they're all completely empty every day of the week. Kamakura Shirts had a little 15x20ft pop up store in the mall and the worker was telling me one day that the rent is $10K a month. And the store was in a hallway connecting the two buildings that make up the property. How many shirts you need to sell to get $10K a month? Anyways they closed up before the pandemic even hit.

But this trend of building developments around housing / shopping / tourism in NYC just doesn't work. It's obviously over now but what's left if an eyesore for sure. Hudson Yards in particular even ruined the NY skyline. When you're coming down the helix into the lincoln tunnel you can't see the empire state building anymore cause it's blocked by Hudson yards.

Another interesting thing is what's going on in Hoboken with Rentals. There's multi families on the market for $1.5M, $2M, $2.5M. The properies are 2, or 3 or maybe 4 units at the most. In the comments it says things like "Unit 1 currently collecting $3,500 rent, pre covid rent was $4K, Units 2 and 3 pre-covid rent was $3,500 but are currently vacant"..... So in other words, a $1.5M property that's currently getting $3,500 in rent.....right.....sounds like a great deal......
    Do you live in NYC or just work there?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Do you live in NYC or just work there?
    Just work there, never lived there. I honestly wouldn't mind having a part time place in NYC if 1) I could afford it and 2) pre-covid. It's an absolute cesspool right now. Night and day. I loved working there but come Friday afternoon it was so nice to get out.

Manhattan is not a bad visit. I enjoyed the Statue, Ellis Island, Museum of natural history, Intrepid, and West Point. Went to the top of the Empire building at night, walked out on the Brooklyn Bridge, wandered to go see Wall Street, rode the subway and train to get the h out, stayed at a Hilton outside the city that had bedbugs. I liked it more than Washington DC.

There is a great show on cable called "Abandoned" Check it out!!
    Anyone that identifies themselves by the color of their skin, is a racist.
    There is only ONE race of people on this planet, the human race.

Do not be deceived, Darwin’s theory of Evolution is racist. When Darwin is properly understood, it leads to the justification for believing that certain races of people are by birth and nature superior to others and that is the definition of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by everything1 View Post
    Manhattan is not a bad visit. I enjoyed the Statue, Ellis Island, Museum of natural history, Intrepid, and West Point. Went to the top of the Empire building at night, walked out on the Brooklyn Bridge, wandered to go see Wall Street, rode the subway and train to get the h out, stayed at a Hilton outside the city that had bedbugs. I liked it more than Washington DC.
    My buddy has a restaurant in NYC and said that they had to lay razor wire in the concrete in the basement to keep the rats from chewing through the concrete and getting inside. I don't know if I believe that, but it's funny either way.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyAllMyLife View Post
    My buddy has a restaurant in NYC and said that they had to lay razor wire in the concrete in the basement to keep the rats from chewing through the concrete and getting inside. I don't know if I believe that, but it's funny either way.
    rats don't chew through metal, as it shreds their lips and tongue. I use steel wool to fill all the gaps when chinking my log homes, then spray the pest repellent expanding foam into the steel wool areas permanently keeps them out.
    Last edited by shades; 02-14-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    rats don't chew through metal, as it shreds their lips and tongue. I use steel wool to fill all the gaps when chinking my log homes, then spray the pest repellent expanding foam into the steel wool areas permanently keeps them out.
    That's hilarious. I used to go to this place in midtown called Joe's Shanghai. They had these awesome pork soup dumplings. Delicious pork dumplings in this spicy broth. The place was a dive but no one cared cause it was dirt cheap and delicious. It got shut down by the health department and one of the comments on the NYC health department website was "severe cockroach infestation in kitchen. Cockroaches openly visible in kitchen area". I was cracking up reading it. It apparently cleaned up and opened back up and everyone went right back. LOL.

Edit: Just found an old article on it..

https://www.grubstreet.com/2014/12/j...nspection.html

Good times.....
    Last edited by LuckyAllMyLife; 02-15-2021 at 01:36 PM.

The rats came out at night, they were huge, and everywhere, my first time seeing them in person in quantity, the gfriend was flipping out and keeping real close, but I wanted to see the apple at night just one time since we were there and all, wasn't planning on going back really. But, if I did, I would stay downtown, it's not that much more. All the old city downtowns have cockroaches it seems, and well, I've been lucky enough to not have, although fruit flies in abundance I have experienced, and learned how to kill them with bare hands, a little tricky but doable, can catch house flies too.. Bow flies are so simple, easy to carousel, indoors that is.
    Last edited by everything1; 02-17-2021 at 12:30 AM.