Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Premiums

Default Premiums

I've noticed that silver premiums are a lot higher of late to go along with an ever dwindling inventory. Has anyone else noticed that? How reasonable would it be to expect the premiums to go back down when things get back to (or closer to) an even keel?

Silver premiums have always been horse $#!t. I've been buying silver for about 15 years and the premium has always been at least a couple few bucks which at the spot price of silver has always been about at least 10%+. It's stupid. As far as physical metals go gold is in my opinion a much better buy. I honestly just think there's so many silver buyers because the price is still cheap and we all love stacking big piles of metal. For most of us, silver is the only thing we can stack considerable quantities of.

Full disclosure, I own way more ounces of silver than gold but dollar wise I'm about 2:1 gold:silver

I've seen a lot of "eyebrow raising" premiums over the years but lately it seems to be even more outrageous. You have a point about gold; I'll probably look at it a lot closer going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyAllMyLife View Post
    Silver premiums have always been horse $#!t. I've been buying silver for about 15 years and the premium has always been at least a couple few bucks which at the spot price of silver has always been about at least 10%+. It's stupid.
    That is so funny, you silly folks!

Many times in past 15 years you could get silver for just $.30 over spot. Very often with 100 ounces bars. But within just past 3 years I bought 1oz Australia Kangaroos (government silver!!!) for less than $1 over spot, and generic rounds for $.25/ea over spot (actually $.08 BELOW spot after ebay bucks and credit card rewards, thank you Mr. Ebay).

Don't say several dollars premiums for past 15 years if you mean you are a picky silver buyer and the silver you really like has high premiums. Premiums for different silver is different. You want your current year ASEs, or your Wonder Woman Limited Edition 3 Ounce Rounds yeah you have to pay more!

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    I've seen a lot of "eyebrow raising" premiums over the years but lately it seems to be even more outrageous.
    Not outrageous, just sign of the times.

If dealers charge normal $1 premium they run out and have nothing to sell and go out of business. If they charge $10 premium nobody buys and they go out of business. If they charge $5 premium they sell a lot and can replace it quickly and stay in business! It is how business works.

Silver premiums have always been horse $#!t. I've been buying silver for about 15 years and the premium has always been at least a couple few bucks which at the spot price of silver has always been about at least 10%+. It's stupid. As far as physical metals go gold is in my opinion a much better buy. I honestly just think there's so many silver buyers because the price is still cheap and we all love stacking big piles of metal. For most of us, silver is the only thing we can stack considerable quantities of.

Full disclosure, I own way more ounces of silver than gold but dollar wise I'm about 2:1 gold:silver
    Well Ive been buying silver for 7 years and have never payed more than .50 cents an OZ on 100 oz bars, which was not a high premium. Nobody wanted silver when I was buying so premiums were low ( from 14-21) supply and demand 101.

Does anyone think that the dealers pay the same price when there's a shortage? No, the cost goes up all along the supply chain. Be it PM, ammo, a hot selling car or T.P., when there's a shortage, those with the most cash get the goods. If you don't like the high fees then plan ahead or wait. Or vote for lefties and then we can all share the wealth equally, your wealth that is.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Guide View Post
    That is so funny, you silly folks!

Many times in past 15 years you could get silver for just $.30 over spot. Very often with 100 ounces bars. But within just past 3 years I bought 1oz Australia Kangaroos (government silver!!!) for less than $1 over spot, and generic rounds for $.25/ea over spot (actually $.08 BELOW spot after ebay bucks and credit card rewards, thank you Mr. Ebay).

Don't say several dollars premiums for past 15 years if you mean you are a picky silver buyer and the silver you really like has high premiums. Premiums for different silver is different. You want your current year ASEs, or your Wonder Woman Limited Edition 3 Ounce Rounds yeah you have to pay more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
    Well Ive been buying silver for 7 years and have never payed more than .50 cents an OZ on 100 oz bars, which was not a high premium. Nobody wanted silver when I was buying so premiums were low ( from 14-21) supply and demand 101.
    Yea, I don't do anything on Ebay. Good on you both if you find deals. I also think that a lot of stackers BS about the deals they get but again, if you've found good buys consistently over the years then good on you.

Yea, I don't do anything on Ebay. Good on you both if you find deals. I also think that a lot of stackers BS about the deals they get but again, if you've found good buys consistently over the years then good on you.
    Most ebay deals are bad. If I sell to you I have to give ebay 10%. So impossible to get good deal, right?

But ebay sometimes subsidizes big dealers often with 300,000+ feedback. Sometimes says "Daily Deal". Often you have to buy 100 ounces. I haven't done that since 2018, so maybe they aren't doing it now. They focus on their bucks now, sometimes you can get 8% on a purchase... normally not silver, but sometimes it happens.

Not as good as when Bing let you buy silver for 30% off! I bet some people here are old enough to remember that!

As soon as the premiums normalized and the spot bottomed out we started our next leg up. Just as I stated before when the premiums jumped your unlikely to get your total cost significantly lower. I think eagles where going for about $23-$25 with $15ish spot at the time and got told I was smoking crack.

I was offered $5 over spot for BU eagles in tubes the other day. The offer came from someone who I normally buy from. His sell prices are normally some of the best around. To me, this is a statement of the actual street market in my area.

I now see the spot rising.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast