Thread: 90% melt at 17.5 x face. acceptable premiums for barbers ?

Default 90% melt at 17.5 x face. acceptable premiums for barbers ?

i have a chance to get a couple rolls of barbers for 20 x face. typical wear on them. would you get them?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    i have a chance to get a couple rolls of barbers for 20 x face. typical wear on them. would you get them?
    No, I would not. If quarters or dimes not at all. If halves I'd go for Franklins since "typical" wear on a Barber is slick or near slick.
    I don't know what kind of weapons will be used in WWIII, but we'll go back to sticks and stones for WWIV - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    No, I would not. If quarters or dimes not at all. If halves I'd go for Franklins since "typical" wear on a Barber is slick or near slick.
    I understand about the loss of weight on barbers compared to say Roosevelt's in dime versions. I also however recognize sales on eBay get considerably more higher prices for barbers than for roosevelts. I appreciate your reply and opinion thank you. Would anyone else care to offer viewpoints?

I’m buying them for $18 at my LCS, I’m wondering if that’s a good price right now. I was getting ready to trade a roll and some cash for a tenth ounce.

Maxwell, I sold a large amount of Barber quarters a couple of months ago and got about the same 17.5 over face. In my case the quarters were all culls. Bought as culls and resold as culls for more than double over what I bought them for. No dates and all were well worn. If you have full date or better condition I'd hold out for more. Or maybe sell one at a time. Ditto if halves. Halves are going for crazy money.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

My thing with junk silver is that as long as I buy it for the cheapest price possible I maintain fungibility. If the barbers are not in clean shape and are higher than later coins, I wouldn't want them. I have sold 90% silver before in order to buy something else. Because of said fungibility I just reach in the bags, count, and deliver.

The only time I have bought slicks is by weight at melt or below. That's the only price that makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    My thing with junk silver is that as long as I buy it for the cheapest price possible I maintain fungibility. If the barbers are not in clean shape and are higher than later coins, I wouldn't want them. I have sold 90% silver before in order to buy something else. Because of said fungibility I just reach in the bags, count, and deliver.

The only time I have bought slicks is by weight at melt or below. That's the only price that makes sense to me.
    Exactly what I did when I bought my culls. I bought a large number of ounces in 90% culls for just about spot back when spot was about $10/oz. Premium seemed steep, but in the long run it was cheap.

I sorted them out by type and put them into large pill bottles. Now that junk is going for crazy money I've been selling. Last coin show I sold $43.50 (face) of Standing Lib quarters plus $21 (face) Washington quarters for about 17 times face. Back in January or February I sold about $25 (face) Barber quarters for 16 times face. I still have a large amount of Mercury dimes left plus some Rosie's to move if prices remain high for junk. The halves and dollars I'm holding onto for now. I just wish I was smart enough to really load up back then and had purchased bags and bags of junk, but that's water over the dam. It was out of favor and I was bottom feeding at the time.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

These are great coins and there are more than just limited buyers for them in Ag4 or better condition. The new tax reporting on ebay may force you into other venues which will affect speed of sale and price.

Anyone notice this thread is 2 years old?
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Does it really matters?