Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold as a replacement for large cash and bond savings

I'm definitely a PM's guy my stack is worth more than my house but I could never imagine holding 40% PM's and 40% stocks. I'm at about 70% cash and wouldn't have it any other way. I know I'm in the minority here but for me cash is still king and provides me with the pure freedom I enjoy.

I believe in holding PM's and other solid investments like real-estate and land but without cash you lower your ability to make moves and take advantage of opportunities to further increase your wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercoin View Post
    Gold has had quite a run from 2000 to 2020.

Hard to tell if it will go a lot higher from here.

Bitcoin captured gold's thunder and is making a vertical dash up - for how long, we'll see.

I wouldn't put all eggs in one basket.

Of all the commodities, oil seems to be the most beaten up at the moment.

Maybe a bit of oil investing - if you're brave.
    Perhaps you are looking at it in the wrong way? It is not so much "quite a run" over the last 20 years, but rather it is those fiat digits getting worth less and less, and more people are becoming aware what fiat is? Agree on not putting all "in one basket", and as you can see if you check out some of the stock threads, I've already made over 30% TWICE on my oil stocks (VDE) in 2020 (it WAS beaten up, a lot better now), I'm a knife catcher.

Gold will continue to go up in fiat FOREVER, and that's because fiat is in a long run to where it came: zero. Time to end the worship folks, that dollar is now a penny, get use to it, in due time it won't even be that. How long till a dollar can't even get a hot crossed bun?
    Last edited by motocat; 01-04-2021 at 04:57 AM.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboLag View Post
    I'm definitely a PM's guy my stack is worth more than my house but I could never imagine holding 40% PM's and 40% stocks. I'm at about 70% cash and wouldn't have it any other way. I know I'm in the minority here but for me cash is still king and provides me with the pure freedom I enjoy.

I believe in holding PM's and other solid investments like real-estate and land but without cash you lower your ability to make moves and take advantage of opportunities to further increase your wealth.
    The PM's have served you well, however that "70% cash" -- beware. Anyone who holds that amount of cash over time really just serves as a sucker for those who depend on their digital faith. I don't know what this "freedom" you enjoy is -- sounds more like holding on to something that gets worth less and less every year. Rather expensive that fiat faith, is it not? It is very easy to convert gold into local currency to get whatever is needed -- 70% for the convenience of immediate use I get for a poor college kid, not for those with years of savings who don't want their wealth to wither way.

Perhaps consider how easy it is to create your "cash" for the masters, while it's worth in gold really took a lot of effort to dig up -- then maybe it won't be seen as a quality king (rather one that is dependent on debt and deceit). In terms of speed in trading -- I can use my gold ETF's just as fast as digits I have sitting in a money market. Yes, at times value of gold also goes down -- but look at the long term charts and it becomes very clear why holding such large amounts of cash will hurt you. Time to get over the addiction and worship folks - dump those bonds and cash, we are on a ride, anyone wants to stay and watch the magic show in a crumbling theater -- don't say you have not been warned over the last several decades.....
    Last edited by motocat; 01-04-2021 at 04:58 AM.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Holding cash is somewhat like dying slowly from a thousand small cuts. Unless you have a magic source of interest that's way above inflation you are bleeding your wealth away slowly ever day. It is true that you can make a quick jump into something else quickly starting from cash, the question is why haven't jumped already? What are you waiting for? Gold to hit $4,000, Tesla to hit $6,000 or BTC to hit $150,000?
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    Perhaps you are looking at it in the wrong way? It is not so much "quite a run" over the last 20 years, but rather it is those fiat digits getting worth less and less, and more people are becoming aware what fiat is? Agree on not putting all "in one basket", and as you can see if you check out some of the stock threads, I've already made over 30% TWICE on my oil stocks (VDE) in 2020 (it WAS beaten up, a lot better now), I'm a knife catcher.

Gold will continue to go up in fiat FOREVER, and that's because fiat is in a long run to where it came: zero. Time to end the worship folks, that dollar is now a penny, get use to it, in due time it won't even be that. How long till a dollar can't even get a hot crossed bun?
    Good job! Putting your wealth to work is the only way to grow it. Beats sitting on the sidelines waiting for a big flashing sign that says "Buy XWY stock today, sell ABC stock today" That ain't going to happen for most of us. If you can pull 30% in a year then you've done your job. Yes, it is hard to guess which market is going to be the next pop, that is unless you pay attention and observe what's happening each and every day. Just as hard work as digging a ditch or plowing a field. Just using your noggin and not your back muscles. That's what each one of us should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Holding cash is somewhat like dying slowly from a thousand small cuts. Unless you have a magic source of interest that's way above inflation you are bleeding your wealth away slowly ever day. It is true that you can make a quick jump into something else quickly starting from cash, the question is why haven't jumped already? What are you waiting for? Gold to hit $4,000, Tesla to hit $6,000 or BTC to hit $150,000?
    The opportunities I look for are things I'm comfortable with like land, income property, and business opportunities. 2020 was a blessing for me and the most profitable year I've had and on top of it a 30 acre property came up for sale that I jumped on.....thats why cash is important to me.

The opportunities I look for are things I'm comfortable with like land, income property, and business opportunities. 2020 was a blessing for me and the most profitable year I've had and on top of it a 30 acre property came up for sale that I jumped on.....thats why cash is important to me.
    OK -- so I take it that your "70% cash" is only a rare and momentary thing? That's fine - I just would not keep it parked there for very long -- not like it is going to become more scarce as we have seen and will continue to do so. The fiat "dollar" deflationistas who I have debated here for so many years (including when it was in vogue as gold fell to the $1111 line and below) have simply been wrong, not knowing the nature of our master tricksters as I do.

Building cash to buy land is a whole lot different than being 70% all the time, which is what it sounded like in the other post. Unless you are saying that you are still 70% cash after buying the land?

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Building cash to buy land is a whole lot different than being 70% all the time, which is what it sounded like in the other post. Unless you are saying that you are still 70% cash after buying the land?
    I also hold cash, also around 70%. I also hold PM's that will probably be passed on to my children. A couple years back I bought a nice property and paid cash. Just sold it last year for a 50% profit. I'm always looking for a profitable looking investment to put cash...it's kind of a hobby as I've been retired over 20 years...LOL
    Stacking since the late 1970's

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    I also hold cash, also around 70%. I also hold PM's that will probably be passed on to my children. A couple years back I bought a nice property and paid cash. Just sold it last year for a 50% profit. I'm always looking for a profitable looking investment to put cash...it's kind of a hobby as I've been retired over 20 years...LOL
    When you say "cash" - do you mean actual physical cash, or just digits in a money market or savings type account? If holding for any length of time, you are certainly loosing value vs if you held in gold bullion or gold based ETF's -- no matter the profit in land or whatever else you are into investing in. That's all fine and well, you may gain in wealth either way, however win or loose in other areas -- the value of that cash is going down, that's the fact.