Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone else still doing this?

Default anyone else still doing this?

anyone else still doing this? buying a box of nickels from the bank and stashing it in this brick form for any time the mint stops minting them because the price of nickel is too high?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    anyone else still doing this? buying a box of nickels from the bank and stashing it in this brick form for any time the mint stops minting them because the price of nickel is too high?
    Still stacking them. And copper pennies. Their time will come.

To look at this rather simplistically, the OP has some currency, 5 pages of replies, and only 3 options. Save it, spend it, or melt it.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    Kyle Bass bought a million dollars worth of nickels. I remember hearing him in an interview where he told the funny story of calling up a bank and ordering the nickels.

http://jpkoning.blogspot.com/2019/05...ickel-bet.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Dron View Post
    do any of you see any value in hoarding clad coins?....

a lot of YouTubers suggest... etc etc,... blah blah blah.
    Yes. I save all my change. Wheats, pre-82 cents, 09s, nickels, bicentennials, halves, dollars, proofs (yes I have found a couple) and any foreign coins are sorted and saved. The rest is stashed until I want to convert it onto something precious. None of this costs me anything really. If pre-82 cents ever find their niche similar to silver coinage than its a win. Otherwise you have nothing to lose. Mind your pennies, and the dollars take care of themselves. Im not sure why, but I feel the need to say that I get more satisfaction finding a common 75 Lincoln cent in my pocket change than I do watching an unboxing video on YouTube.

I did, and recently cashed in nearly $1000 face in 59-82 copper pennies. I still have some, also some Canadian nickels I might never be able to get rid of, but I got them for face value. They are pure nickel and eventually will be out of circulation (maybe?), they can go to melt sooner rather than later. My tendency now is to hold older lots of copper coin with lower mintages. Same with modern silver bullion, I'd rather get that converted into pre-33 gold, or coinage that might have a chance of falling out of the melt categories.

Quote Originally Posted by everything1 View Post
    I did, and recently cashed in nearly $1000 face in 59-82 copper pennies. I still have some, also some Canadian nickels I might never be able to get rid of, but I got them for face value. They are pure nickel and eventually will be out of circulation (maybe?), they can go to melt sooner rather than later. My tendency now is to hold older lots of copper coin with lower mintages. Same with modern silver bullion, I'd rather get that converted into pre-33 gold, or coinage that might have a chance of falling out of the melt categories.
    what did you get for your $1000 face pennies?

Quote Originally Posted by everything1 View Post
    I would definitely keep the Canadian nickels. They may not be PM's, but have pure nickel in a coin form is a great way to stack that metal. Let me know if you ever consider getting rid of them. They will be worth more as coins than for the the metal price. Also, I agree wtih holding older coins, both silver, gold and copper. If you can combine PMs with potential numismatic interest, you have a good combo.

Along with some 90% junk silver that was added to my own junk silver, I inherited a small stash of clad Ike dollars and Kennedy halves, I wonder if they'll be ever be worth more than face while I'm still above the ground? Clad coins don't impress me very much.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Along with some 90% junk silver that was added to my own junk silver, I inherited a small stash of clad Ike dollars and Kennedy halves, I wonder if they'll be ever be worth more than face while I'm still above the ground? Clad coins don't impress me very much.
    I expect them to disappear within the next 10 years. At that point, whatever hasn't been melted will be worth more than face. They are still coin that have been minted, so there will always be value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast