Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion? The Queen on a coins obverse

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    Been looking at private mints but have not yet purchased. Main reason being gov issues are more recognizable upon resale. Of course bullion bars like sunshine mint would be the next choice but resale value is entirely based on spot price, no good if you expect a steep drop off from comex.
    You need to decide if you are mainly into collecting numismatics or buying bullion. It is true that generic rounds and bars follows spot somewhat more than government minted coins here in the USA. But it is also true selling government minted coins in times of super high premiums and switching into generic (and just buying more generic) gives you more ounces of Ag in your stash overall. In the long run it is ounces that matter the most, IMHO. This has been also shown to be true in several Youtube videos by well followed channels.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPalm View Post
    A half cent might be more fitting.
    You may be on to something there, but I was thinking that that face should be engraved on a 3-dollar bill since he's just as phony.

https://youtu.be/U0sHmxePzQY

Did someone say " Queen Elizabeth II?"
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

While we're on the subject; how likely is the U.K. (and other commonwealth countries) to replace the Queen with the image of King Charles on its coins? I might buy a few if it happens but with premiums what they are I'd focus mostly on generics.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    While we're on the subject; how likely is the U.K. (and other commonwealth countries) to replace the Queen with the image of King Charles on its coins? I might buy a few if it happens but with premiums what they are I'd focus mostly on generics.
    I'd say it is a 100% chance. Starting next year all the coins will have Charles III facing to the right on the obverse.
    Do your own due diligence

I stand united with my friends & family in Canada who seek freedom.

Australia & a few of the island nations currently under the crown have made noises about perhaps becoming independent republics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N12mIT5yOQ
    If that happens, then Steve Irwin would seem more likely to adorn an Auzy coin than Charles.

I don't follow common circulation coins very much, but I do take a glance at Sovereigns on occasion. Those generally have taken roughly a year to get in production, once a new monarch takes the throne. The last QE2 variety was made from a computer imagery system, so perhaps that time might now shorten.

The case of Edward the VIII was peculiar. He abdicated after less than a year on the throne & only 3 or 4 sovereign coins with his image are known to exist. I am guessing that they were test stampings.

This was discussed a bit here - https://gold-forum.kitco.com/showthr...162-King-Chuck

If coins with Charles on them do turn up, I would be inclined to purchase a few on speculation. I think that the odds of him not remaining in power for long are pretty good. That would almost certainly make his coins rare & collectable.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post

first appearance on 1935 note

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    first appearance on 1935 note
    It's interesting, back in 1935 in Canada if you put aside various forms of $20 for "the future" to save, what would they be worth today?

200 Canadian dimes...average condition, similar to the dimes in your pocket today...................$200
    20 Canadian Silver Dollars....average coin condition similar to the coins in your pocket today......$500
    40 ounces of raw pure silver, a bar or shot, condition irrelevant........................................ .......$760
    .6 ounces of raw pure gold, a bar or shot, condition irrelevant........................................ .........$1020
    The above piece of fiat, average condition similar to the fiat in your pocket today.......................$1200

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post

the first cointypes were very nice. Te llater ones were less , especially the implantation of the crown not natural, and the latest not nice at all. Of course it has also do something with her age but also with the engravers their skill.
    Digitalizing portraits isn't giving very good results. There are other examples of digitalized queens and these digitalized portraits look more like motorsaw trimmed logs than portraits, sorry to say so but taste and engraving skills have been lost.

just waiting to see the CharlesIII coins, IMO if done well, should not be so bad. Certainly want one if nice.

Golditiki2+++

Quote Originally Posted by golditiki2 View Post
    the first cointypes were very nice. Te llater ones were less , especially the implantation of the crown not natural, and the latest not nice at all. Of course it has also do something with her age but also with the engravers their skill.
    Digitalizing portraits isn't giving very good results. There are other examples of digitalized queens and these digitalized portraits look more like motorsaw trimmed logs than portraits, sorry to say so but taste and engraving skills have been lost.

just waiting to see the CharlesIII coins, IMO if done well, should not be so bad. Certainly want one if nice.

Golditiki2+++
    Definitely could go one of two ways on the Chucky 3 stuff.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast