View Poll Results: Take $10,000 cash in exchange 1 year deferral of gov't benefits

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 37.50%
  • No

    5 62.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Poll: $10,000 lump sum for deferral of 1 year of receiving gov't benefit?

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    In order for $10k today to break even with future benefits (indexed for inflation at 3%) I would need to get a yearly return of 18%, and that's not counting getting gauged by taxes.

    They need to stop dicking around and privatize SS already so every idiotic politician can stop thinking about new ways to muck with it.

    ?? you have no idea what your "future benefits" will be. You do know that all of what you put into it is not actually invested/saved, and that in anycase, it's just digits they can make themselves? Good luck trusting in whatever they say you should be getting, things do change. Ever tried turning in a government issued "silver certificate"?
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    ?? you have no idea what your "future benefits" will be. You do know that all of what you put into it is not actually invested/saved, and that in anycase, it's just digits they can make themselves? Good luck trusting in whatever they say you should be getting, things do change. Ever tried turning in a government issued "silver certificate"?
    Cash is the new opiate of the masses. They'll keep those benefits. Not because it would be the right thing to do but because of self preservation.

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    Cash is the new opiate of the masses. They'll keep those benefits. Not because it would be the right thing to do but because of self preservation.
    Yes, but just what will those digits be worth when it's your turn? I expect little, just like the silver certificates I foolishly collected as a boy.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    Yes, but just what will those digits be worth when it's your turn? I expect little, just like the silver certificates I foolishly collected as a boy.
    You must of been a little geeky as a boy...


    I still have mine, and my stamp collection.

    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
    You must of been a little geeky as a boy...


    I still have mine, and my stamp collection.

    Yup, and I to also have coins I collected and stamps from back then (though my stamp collection I left in my parents house). What has held value best is silver I found in circulation and rolls. Don't know what I'll do with the stamp collection, seems like a dying hobby. Hope coins do not go the same way.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    Yup, and I to also have coins I collected and stamps from back then (though my stamp collection I left in my parents house). What has held value best is silver I found in circulation and rolls. Don't know what I'll do with the stamp collection, seems like a dying hobby. Hope coins do not go the same way.
    I have a extensive stamp collection, started in 1977 and have not stopped collecting.

    The first year of forever stamps, I stacked just over $100 worth and now I'm up $0.14 cents a stamp since 2007. Not bad! About 25% up?

    Heh....
    Last edited by Westerner; 05-06-2020 at 07:06 PM.
    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

  7. #17

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    would you take $10k now in exchange for deferral social security and medicare benefits?

    https://twitter.com/Jkylebass/status...99340507414528

    kyle bass working with a senior government official on The Eagle Plan. It will immediately deliver $10,000 to all American citizens in exchange for a 1-yr deferral of eligibility for Social Security and Medicare benefits (from age 67 to 68). How would you use it?
    Depends how old you are ........
    As we know Dollars depreciate and with debt for example plus with "money" being so ridiculously cheap (Tells you something no?) borrowing now to pay back in depreciated Dollars later is not a bad idea in many cases.
    In this case, getting aprox. 50% today of what you would get down the road ... Again, depends on your age .. Under 60 I'd say sure, defer me a year... Give me the purchasing power now and I'll double it (purchasing power) by the time I was supposed to get it anyway.

  9. #19

    Default

    well, i missed this vote, but mine would have been a huge NO>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •