Thread: Are you already seeing inflated prices? If so where?

Default Are you already seeing inflated prices? If so where?

I usually spend way too long researching and price checking before buying anything. Sometimes months to years. I am seeing electronics that I was looking at prior to Covid 19 and stimulus going for over $100 more. Milk and groceries in my area have gone up significantly as well.

A reasonable economic response to hoarding and decreased production due to closing of non-essential businesses?
    Legal Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra
    A variant of this has also been attributed to physicist Niels Bohr, and others.

"Tis against some menís principle to pay interest, and seems against othersí interest to pay the principal." -- Benjamin Franklin

The School of Hard Knocks is where you get the lesson after you fail the test.

Book title: "The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is to Own One"

Also I just read that a whole bunch of farmers of crops that needs to be hand harvested, like blueberries, strawberries, etc. Can't find workers to harvest their crops.

I know that greencard and work permited migrants/workers get paid a fair wage, like $10 to $20 a hour take home. And it's half the cost of American citizens who cost twice as much but their take home is less. Way less payroll liabilities and compliance with migrants.

Also Americans are getting free cash, so why should we even get a work ethic.

I see these crops becoming unavailable. And many farmers crying..." Americans just will not do these jobs!

When in reality Americans are not doing these jobs because by government mandate are too expensive, carry to much payroll liabilities and compliance and are sue happy. And are too fat by government handouts.

Sickening.
    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

Wait until next year, when health care premiums bounce up 40%.

Electronics is cheaper and cheaper over the years, trick is to buy used because the newest thing is always over priced.

Where I see inflated prices is in the service business. Doctors and plumbers, i.e. charge by the minute, and I'm sure many others will jump right on board that easy money train.

Quote Originally Posted by everything1 View Post
    Wait until next year, when health care premiums bounce up 40%.

Electronics is cheaper and cheaper over the years, trick is to buy used because the newest thing is always over priced.

Where I see inflated prices is in the service business. Doctors and plumbers, i.e. charge by the minute, and I'm sure many others will jump right on board that easy money train.
    Time to consider a medical cost sharing program?
    Legal Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra
    A variant of this has also been attributed to physicist Niels Bohr, and others.

"Tis against some menís principle to pay interest, and seems against othersí interest to pay the principal." -- Benjamin Franklin

The School of Hard Knocks is where you get the lesson after you fail the test.

Book title: "The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is to Own One"

Corporations are self insuring and sending employees out of country for routine procedures. Yes, they want to save money, but more than that, they want better results for their patients.

Even my state did a cost/benefit analysis and wanted to self-insure, but that not going to fly, probably looking for lobbyist political donations instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmcwill View Post
    I usually spend way too long researching and price checking before buying anything. Sometimes months to years. I am seeing electronics that I was looking at prior to Covid 19 and stimulus going for over $100 more. Milk and groceries in my area have gone up significantly as well.
    No...at least, not from the most recent actions by the Fed. (I'm in the US.) It takes time. If money is printed, and then is hoarded (by banks as reserves, or individuals as savings), I suppose no inflation will occur? Then again, savings are loaned out, and if loans go out, and the market comes back, and then people start spending again...we will see inflation (at least if past history is a guide...unfortunatley there is no guarantee of that).

Oil & gas may be down. However plenty of items in the stores are higher, not necessarily from the virus, but over the past year. I can't name specific item examples. I just know it costs more on average per month for the usual consumables for us than months or a year ago.
    Metals are for Investors who take more risk with whatís Real, and less with whatís not. Author unknown