Thread: Sibanye Gold

Analyst consensus estimate for Sibanye Stillwater: "Strong Buy."

Price target: 12 $

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...bsw-1032244928

Quote Originally Posted by oak333 View Post
    Analyst consensus estimate for Sibanye Stillwater: "Strong Buy."

Price target: 12 $

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...bsw-1032244928

I do not think they have any better idea of where this stock is going than if you gave a monkey a bunch of prices and it picked one.
    If Calero is any indication of the analysts prowess then I would take their targets with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I would think this companies fortunes will depend on the global economy to a large extent ( Rhodium, Platinum and Palladium all mostly industrial applications) I would be a bit wary of this company if you think a global recession is close at hand.

I would suspect its profits are way down due to low Rhodium and Palladium prices, relative to periods before. Also, probably higher costs.

It sure does have a good stable of great resources and who knows, it may do even better than what analysts say, but not for me, with my
    macroeconomic forecast. ( at least for now)

RBC Capital analyst Marina Calero maintained a Buy rating on Sibanye Stillwater (SBSW – Research Report) on April 17 and set a price target of $10.00. The company’s shares closed yesterday at $9.16.

According to TipRanks, Calero is an analyst with an average return of -11.0% and a 50.00% success rate. Calero covers the Basic Materials sector, focusing on stocks such as Sibanye Stillwater, FRESNILLO, and Centamin.

The word on The Street in general, suggests a Strong Buy analyst consensus rating for Sibanye Stillwater with a $12.03 average price target.

Guess some investors not too happy with operating update this morning. Last I looked this company was down about 10% just after start of trade in NY. ( summary follows) . I would be all over this company if I thought Rhodium would catch a bid ( currently 6600) or if I did not think that industrial metals pricing will be flat or down this year, or if I was not a little suspect on South Africa.
    That is just me, and certainly a lot of upside at some point, for this company. It has also been a lot lower in the past which makes me a bit reluctant to sell puts while I wait to see what happens with global economy. ( already went that route last year and lucky to get out with small profit)

Sibanye Stillwater Q1 PGM output down 10% due to power cuts, US disruptions, from 4 hours ago by Thomson Reuters
    4 hours ago by Thomson Reuters
    May 9 (Reuters) - Sibanye Stillwater on Tuesday said its platinum group metal (PGM) output declined nearly 10% during the first quarter, impacted by power cuts in South Africa and operational disruptions in the United States.

PGM production from Sibanye's operations in southern Africa and the United States declined to 480,481 ounces in the first quarter, down from 533,237 ounces during the same period last year.

This was mainly due to the suspension of deep-level production at Sibanye's Stillwater West mine in the United States after shaft infrastructure damage, which cut production by 20,000 ounces during the first quarter. As a result, Sibanye's quarterly U.S. PGM production declined 18% to 100,690 ounces compared to the first quarter of 2022.

In South Africa, extended power cuts, cable theft, adverse mining conditions and a planned shaft closure saw Sibanye's PGM output decline 8% to 379,791 ounces.

Sibanye's gold production, including output from its 50.1% owned DRDGold, increased 46% to 200,267 ounces, compared to the first quarter of 2022, when operations were impacted by a wage strike.

Despite operational challenges in South Africa, Sibanye maintained its southern Africa PGM production guidance for 2023 within a 1.7-1.8 million ounce range, but cut its forecast for the U.S. PGM operations to between 460,000 and 480,000 ounces.

In February, Sibanye warned that the electricity crisis in the world's top PGM producer South Africa, blamed on the frequent breakdown of its ageing coal-fired power generation fleet, could cut PGM output by as much as 15%, tightening global supplies of metals mostly used in the automotive industry.

On Tuesday, Sibanye also maintained its gold production forecast, excluding DRDGold output, within a 756,000-788,000 ounce range for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by brutus2 View Post
    Guess some investors not too happy with operating update this morning. Last I looked this company was down about 10% just after start of trade in NY. ( summary follows) . I would be all over this company if I thought Rhodium would catch a bid ( currently 6600) or if I did not think that industrial metals pricing will be flat or down this year, or if I was not a little suspect on South Africa.
    That is just me, and certainly a lot of upside at some point, for this company. It has also been a lot lower in the past which makes me a bit reluctant to sell puts while I wait to see what happens with global economy. ( already went that route last year and lucky to get out with small profit)

Sibanye Stillwater Q1 PGM output down 10% due to power cuts, US disruptions, from 4 hours ago by Thomson Reuters
    4 hours ago by Thomson Reuters
    May 9 (Reuters) - Sibanye Stillwater on Tuesday said its platinum group metal (PGM) output declined nearly 10% during the first quarter, impacted by power cuts in South Africa and operational disruptions in the United States.

PGM production from Sibanye's operations in southern Africa and the United States declined to 480,481 ounces in the first quarter, down from 533,237 ounces during the same period last year.

This was mainly due to the suspension of deep-level production at Sibanye's Stillwater West mine in the United States after shaft infrastructure damage, which cut production by 20,000 ounces during the first quarter. As a result, Sibanye's quarterly U.S. PGM production declined 18% to 100,690 ounces compared to the first quarter of 2022.

In South Africa, extended power cuts, cable theft, adverse mining conditions and a planned shaft closure saw Sibanye's PGM output decline 8% to 379,791 ounces.

Sibanye's gold production, including output from its 50.1% owned DRDGold, increased 46% to 200,267 ounces, compared to the first quarter of 2022, when operations were impacted by a wage strike.

Despite operational challenges in South Africa, Sibanye maintained its southern Africa PGM production guidance for 2023 within a 1.7-1.8 million ounce range, but cut its forecast for the U.S. PGM operations to between 460,000 and 480,000 ounces.

In February, Sibanye warned that the electricity crisis in the world's top PGM producer South Africa, blamed on the frequent breakdown of its ageing coal-fired power generation fleet, could cut PGM output by as much as 15%, tightening global supplies of metals mostly used in the automotive industry.

On Tuesday, Sibanye also maintained its gold production forecast, excluding DRDGold output, within a 756,000-788,000 ounce range for this year.

Yikes - $4.73. Rhodium is now 3800 and Palladium is 950 and Platinum 843 .

Bank of America sees Sibanye as an under performing company for now and set a price target of $4.51 price. Mining companies are still, on the average, out of favor with the market and until that changes are not likely to see large upwards movements. If Sibanye Stillwater maintains its dividend payout there might be a decent return. But will they? They are buying a USA recycling company and that might drain cash.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Sweet, I wish I had seen this one at my brokerage. Might have taken ' a piece of the action' depending on what the conversion privileges are (timing) and few other vague details (from the below article)

Only rough guide line below but looks like you will get paid about 4.5% and be senior to at least the equity and can convert successfully at a share price over 6$ or there about.
    Since this company has routinely been over 10$ and as high as 20$ several times, it seems a decent risk undertaking. Guess it was fully subscribed, so others agreed.

Current shareholders took the blow ( what else is new with PM stocks) on probable share dilution in the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sibanye Stillwater Ltd. plunged the most since March 2020 after the South African miner of platinum-group metals said it will raise $500 million by selling bonds convertible into its shares, a move that will dilute existing investors’ holdings.

The stock sank as much as 25% in Johannesburg, wiping out about 15.2 billion rand ($824 million) of its market value. The use of the bond proceeds includes funding the Nov. 9 purchase of US metals recycler Reldan Group of Companies for $155.4 million in cash, Sibanye said in a statement Tuesday.

Sibanye is deepening its push into producing platinum-group metals, used to curb pollution emitted by internal combustion engines, while contending with weakening commodity prices. Analysts at Citigroup Inc. said the bond deal heightens the “acquisition risk overhang.”

The risk is higher “especially in the current lower commodity price environment,” Citi analysts led by Ephrem Ravi wrote in a note. Sibanye trades at a discount to its peers, reflecting these concerns, according to the analysts.

Still, investors appeared attracted to the new debt. Indicated demand for the bond exceeded the deal size, according to terms sheets seen by Bloomberg News. Orders below the midpoint of the marketing range risk missing the transaction, according to the terms.

RBC Capital Markets analyst Marina Calero estimated that the conversion of bonds would generate a 14% dilution to shareholders. The bond issue should allow Sibanye to finance its acquisitions while preserving the balance sheet, however the dilution on existing shareholders would offset these benefits, she wrote in a note.

Sibanye shares were 19% lower by 4:34 p.m. local time, with the weakness spreading to its local peers. Impala Platinum Holdings Ltd. slipped 6.9%, Anglo American Platinum Ltd. was down 5.7% and Northam Platinum Holdings Ltd. lost 3.5%. The decline in Johannesburg’s precious-metals producers index was limited to 2.5% by gains in gold companies.

The conversion price is expected to be within a range of 30%-35% above the volume-weighted average price of Sibanye’s shares, between the opening and closing of trading in Johannesburg Tuesday, the company said. The senior, unsecured, guaranteed convertible bonds, due in November 2028 are expected to pay an annual coupon of 4%-4.5%.

(By John Viljoen)

Here you have an analysis of Sibanye, partially by Artificial Intelligence.

https://www.alphaspread.com/security/nyse/sbsw/summary

The company is doing OK, in spite of adverse conditions. I like that the company
    has an anti-fragile culture, to beat and even boom under adversity. The company
    is prepared for commodity prices going down.

The stock price has decreased incredibly. It was punished for events beyond
    their control. The analysts are though more optimistic than the investors.

All in all, I believe in this serious company.

Quote Originally Posted by oak333 View Post
    Here you have an analysis of Sibanye, partially by Artificial Intelligence.

https://www.alphaspread.com/security/nyse/sbsw/summary

The company is doing OK, in spite of adverse conditions. I like that the company
    has an anti-fragile culture, to beat and even boom under adversity. The company
    is prepared for commodity prices going down.

The stock price has decreased incredibly. It was punished for events beyond
    their control. The analysts are though more optimistic than the investors.

All in all, I believe in this serious company.
    Thanks for the post oak333.

If even the worst analyst target (-13%) comes true that is not a lot of downside compared to the upside targets by others. The $8ish target average looks pretty good. I own this one and may add. The dividends are a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by ynot2k View Post
    Thanks for the post oak333.

If even the worst analyst target (-13%) comes true that is not a lot of downside compared to the upside targets by others. The $8ish target average looks pretty good. I own this one and may add. The dividends are a bonus.
    Analysts have a terrible record, especially on miners. Check almost any of them, they are almost way higher than what occurs.
    Probably this is a result of them listening to management expectations, and these are rarely met, as miners are subject to just a host of concerns, many outside of their control.

I have been dancing around this one with options and so far have luckily made a small amount on its nosedive.

This is a so so company(management etc) with great assets, so well worth investing in.

I just have a hard time seeing it making any money at all in 2024 or the second half of 2023. That means no dividend as their dividend is based on 25% to 35% of normalized earnings.

Other than the gold price, which is not a huge part of companies earnings, the other metals are at 20018- 2019 levels when the stock was around 2.50 or so.

If the world economy goes down some more in next 3 months as oil seems to be trying to tell us ( despite cuts) it could get worse.

I certainly would not sell if I had any, as longer term it should work out, but as an entry point I am not sure all the pain has been worked out of this one. For those that bought it for the once huge dividend I think they may be in for a surprise on the next declaration.

Just IMO and I am ultra conservative, even with my fun money, unless I see a real steal. So I miss 90% of them, so take with a grain of salt.

For me I have to marshal my resources and put it to what I think is the best usage. Sibanye just doesn't float my boat as much as some other investments. If I had to pick one and only one PM mining company to invest in, it would not be Sibanye. Yes, I've owned it in the past, but not now.

If someone is going to challenge me to name a better investment, I'd pick AYA Gold and Silver. No dividend, but they are sitting on a huge silver deposit with high yield per ton and are ramping up production by a factor of 3 or 4 in the next 12 - 18 months. All while lowering their overall sustaining cost of less than $10/ounce. Plus they also hold huge other areas that haven't been developed and should lead to future growth.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble