Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Overproduction will see oil drop to <$30 in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    Must be nice to live in an area that has guaranteed electricity, along with home charging costs that make it cheaper than gas, along with not having to worry about running out of battery on regular trips through mountainous rural country.

Where I live, due to winter weather, sparse populations, high altitude steep roads, one of our acquaintances in town who bought a Tesla model 3, ended up trading it in on a IC vehicle, after getting stranded several times just trying to go from Kalispell to Bozeman. Nobody takes into account the extra battery drain for the cabin heater, and combined with night driving in rain/snow for the windshield wipers, headlights, and steep grades, his actual mileage sometimes didn't even make half the advertised range. Teslas, Leaf, Jag E type, etc all share the same problems of range here. Many stories here of techie types and greenies bringing up their EV's to Montana only to give up and buy an actual minimally useful IC vehicle. Because of that, unless there is a paradigm shift in battery capacity anytime in the future, IC will have to stay for anyone not in an urban city environment where vehicles don't actually have to perform well, range/cargo speaking. My 88 Suburban with the extra capacity fuel tank can get me 550 miles per fillup. Travelling through mountainous rural wilderness, ai have made many round trips that brought me to near empty from a full tank, without passing a single gas station.

Not to mention, EV's, if you haul any kind of cargo, instantly your range plummets to virtually useless.( Did you know that model 3, with 5 adults and 100 pounds of trunk cargo drops mileage to under 230 miles? Tesla actively tries to hide any mileage numbers of anything other than single occupant, straight city/flat highway/warm daylight good weather driving)
    EVs are ok for bureaucrats who go to their town office, but not for people who really need to drive distances. I had years ago a Peugeot diesel 405 turbo and drove 1000 km with one fill up. My second P 405 D turbo one was a splendid car, the first was a rotten piece, one of those mondaymorning manufacturing misfits.

Golditiki2+++

Quote Originally Posted by golditiki2 View Post
    EVs are ok for bureaucrats who go to their town office, but not for people who really need to drive distances. I had years ago a Peugeot diesel 405 turbo and drove 1000 km with one fill up. My second P 405 D turbo one was a splendid car, the first was a rotten piece, one of those mondaymorning manufacturing misfits.

Golditiki2+++
    i doubt solar and wind gonna meet our energy demand.
    People thinks moving to EV gonna solve our greenhouse gas emission.
    Since only 25.5% of energy goes to transportation. Even if 50% of transportation goes to EV,
    we only solve ~ 13% of our GHG emission (that assuming all EV sourced from solar and wind which i doubt that too)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345