Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock-piling Nickles

Default Stock-piling Nickles

I have slowly built up a stockpile of rolls of nickles, expecting that within a few years, the U.S. mint will begin making these coins of zinc or something.

The melt value of a (U.S. 5 cent) nickle coin is currently $0.0437681.

As the dollar depreciates, it seems to me that the metal content of a nickle coin will be greater than 0.05 USD at some point.

My downside risk seems negligible, since these coins are cash. I see no risk from decreases in nickle or copper prices, since these have a face-value.

The upside potential over the next 10 years seems to me to be modest-to-great. Maybe 20%, maybe 200%.

• Am I the only one doing this?
    • Does anyone see any errors in my thinking?
    • Is there downside risk (besides theft) I am not considering?

years ago the metal value of a nickle was over 7 cents and copper cents were nearly 3 cents. many previous threads and conversations and converts regarding this very subject. i have since stopped stacking both and moved more into stacking the p m's rather than rolls of nickles or copper cents. already have my share... go for it.

In my opinion the age of coins is coming to a end.
    If just buy the mere weight or the coming generation of the ATM generation. I see younger people who only have their I'd and a debit card on them, when at a grocery store I see these same get so out of wack when an older couple in front of them trying to to make exact change from their coin purse. Saddens me that these daze are gone. 20 dollar bills are usd and tellers seem frustrated to make change for it. The next step is not a bitcoin , just your labor value set into a card with a chip. So the end of the coinage era will be over in my daze and I would recommend holding a share in those commodities than the weight in them.
    Live Well* Love Much* Laugh Often

Quote Originally Posted by Mytal View Post
    In my opinion the age of coins is coming to a end.
    If just buy the mere weight or the coming generation of the ATM generation. I see younger people who only have their I'd and a debit card on them, when at a grocery store I see these same get so out of wack when an older couple in front of them trying to to make exact change from their coin purse. Saddens me that these daze are gone. 20 dollar bills are usd and tellers seem frustrated to make change for it. The next step is not a bitcoin , just your labor value set into a card with a chip. So the end of the coinage era will be over in my daze and I would recommend holding a share in those commodities than the weight in them.
    Sadly your right. But I muse that about the time we go all digital, the products and services we are all used to, will be far and few and limited. IOW we peons will have to live like refugees and or servants. While the bankers who do have the real assets live like kings.
    Last edited by Westerner; 09-08-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

I remember my dad jiggle his change. Those daze are gone.. I am a bit from 40 . It will end in my daze.
    I do remember that, do any still do that?
    Last edited by Mytal; 09-08-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    Live Well* Love Much* Laugh Often

My dad and uncle and our men, would play shaky shake to see who would pay for the morning coffee.

That where you put no more than two dollars worth of change in your palms and shake. The one who guesses the worst has to pay the bill.
    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

pre 1982 cdn nickel worth 10.6 cents today becoz they're .999 nickel

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    pre 1982 cdn nickel worth 10.6 cents today becoz they're .999 nickel
    interesting i did not know cdn nickels were ever .999 nickel compound. my calculator shows value at .08 each metal melt value but that is in usd.

Still piling up the change from my pocket, the zinc cents go back, all the rest get rolled and boxed and if I need something, the clad dimes go first...

This is one of the reasons I use cash, I get change to hunt through...
    Honor for US, Justice for Our Children! Now!

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    interesting i did not know cdn nickels were ever .999 nickel compound. my calculator shows value at .08 each metal melt value but that is in usd.
    but you can buy a cdn nickel for only 3.8 US cents

'82 to 2001 are 75% Cu and 25% Ni
    after that it's steel with nickel plating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast