Thread: Best source for base metal prices?

Default Best source for base metal prices?

Hi all Where do you recommend people get prices for the base metals?

Relatedly, I see that Kitco has an aluminum price, but I don't understand where it comes from. That is, what marketplace or exchange is it?

Thanks.

I don't know about where you are, but here we have a couple companies that supply the pool cage builders and handrail and fence contractors and you can buy as much aluminum as you want in any shape you want it.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

I stack copper, aluminum, cold rolled steel, and galvanized steel, in sheets.

But I've got use for it, and when I use it, it gets at least twice as expensive for the client I resell it too.

Poke around using these search words...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pipe+and+s...t=h_&ia=places
    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

my flawed understanding is that futures are traded on the New York COMEX just like gold and silver. Pretty much everywhere on line you find pricing data is probably pulling from the same source so it doesn't really matter.

More importantly is how much effort to get it for and how much you can sell it for. Say copper; you can't sell scrap copper for spot and there are fairly well established prices for the different grades of scrap copper. In this case spot is meaningless, your sale price is what matters. With lead it has been going up and down, currently at .84 A pound. I have a local recycler where I get wheel weighs for .50 a pound for quite a while now. Spot had been a dollar, .50 cents a pound. Spot is lower now, .50 cents a pound.

Best approach: get it, dump it at the recycler, use the cash for gold and silver. My one thousand pile of lead is useful to me but it is worth about 56 ounces of silver.

Like everything, everything in moderation...even if its only one troy ounce at a time.
    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

Guys I'm talking about metals futures. Copper, aluminum, rolled steel coils, etc. I wasn't talking about buying scrap or physical, but now that you mentioned it you've got me thinking...

Scrap sounds interesting. I wonder about stacking aluminum.

I'm in California, unfortunately. San Francisco Bay Area. Terrible for business and RKBA, but I don't expect to be here more than a year.
    Last edited by Phronesis; 07-03-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Trust me, scrap metal is best as a hobby/side job with plenty of trips to the recycler for cash that you can turn into stackable silver or gold. You should be doing better than minimum wage which is a lot better than it sounds as it is adding money to your disposable income. You do not want to "stack" scrap metal which by definition would be large piles of random stuff that looks like a hoarders paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    Trust me, scrap metal is best as a hobby/side job with plenty of trips to the recycler for cash that you can turn into stackable silver or gold. You should be doing better than minimum wage which is a lot better than it sounds as it is adding money to your disposable income. You do not want to "stack" scrap metal which by definition would be large piles of random stuff that looks like a hoarders paradise.
    To be clear, when you say that I do not want to "stack" scrap metal, do you mean that I should liquidate any metal at the recycler as soon as I get it, instead of storing it?

What if I expect the price to go up?

Quote Originally Posted by Phronesis View Post
    To be clear, when you say that I do not want to "stack" scrap metal, do you mean that I should liquidate any metal at the recycler as soon as I get it, instead of storing it?

What if I expect the price to go up?
    well, of course if you have the room to store it without causing problems with your wife or neighbors, city inspectors, etc., then stack away if you feel the price will go up enough to make a difference. remember though, as these base metal prices go up, so usually will precious metals. if you prefer to stack precious metals and believe the price of these is on the rise then only stack enough of the scrap to make it a profitable run to the scrap yard and commit at least a little of the earnings to precious metals. copper and aluminum into silver to eventually move into gold has been a strategy i have used a bit over the decades now that i am retired and my children are adults