Thread: Lead scavenging

Default Lead scavenging

Anybody here into piling up lead? I reload and fish, so I got into getting lead for my hobbies. Because the only way I do things is by overdoing them right now I have about a thousand pounds of lead. Given that on a good year I may cast and shoot about 20 pounds of lead, that just picking range scraps I may get about 5 pounds back, and that I'm past 50, well I don't think I'm about to run out of lead anytime soon.

I just got my daughter into selling lead. You would think that this is a clear and present danger to my stash but on the other hand I have two sources of lead: one garage that gives it to me for free (which requires quite a bit of effort to sort through the steel, zinc, and random crap) plus a recycler joint where I get it at a heavy discount from spot. Basically at what they probably get from the refiner. She takes lead from my stash, gives me money, which I use to replenish the stash.

How are you stashing lead?

Lead pickin's are excellent if you can get onto a range after the local cops have been shooting slugs out of their shotties. A 12-ga. slug is a nice hunk.

in the past when I was scrapping copper I obtained led from an old berried electrical wire. I found an old piece that was about 10 feet long and weighed,over 100 pounds. It was like a two inch pipe but very thick. The wire was inside of it. It's something to keep your eyes out for. Kaching
    You are a spiritual being having a human experience. Brent Leese

It just crossed my mind. I live in an old house that once had lead pipes. When the previous owners changed the water pipes to copper they left the lead pipes in the crawl space. I never examined them that closely. but I don't believe that they're as soft as the lead that I mentioned earlier that encased the wire. Is something like this usually pure lead or will it have other metals mixed in? kaching
    Last edited by Kaching; 07-02-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    You are a spiritual being having a human experience. Brent Leese

As being a retired Heavy Equipment Operator, I ran across lots of lead, I did mostly sewer and water excavation, Many new water main lines have been replaced with new ductile iron pipe or Pvc water pipes to replace the old cast iron pipe that was installed since the late 1800's , Most of these old pipes had lead services, which run into the houses. , the services were replaced with copper which we installed up to the property lines. From there it was the home owners responsibility. from the property line into their house, Mostly all older homes were not replaced and still have the lead lines running into the homes, I've even dug up the wooden water mains used before the cast iron pipes. Years ago lead was not worth anything, I remember cashing in at the junk yards at .10 cents a pound. Since then I started hoarding it. Being the foreman everything went into my truck.. I had a giant pile at home. which I melted down and sold. I only have about 5 tons left, Someday I'll get on it and melt-er down to add to my retirement funds. So if your looking for good lead , look for a backhoe swinging, replacing water main pipe in your locality. You could not imagine what's buried in the ground. I've run across old railroad tracks,$$$$. Lead incased telephone wires 4-5 inch $$$$,Lead incased power-cables with 3- 1 inch copper stranded wires $$$$$$$ ,Old abandoned gas pipes ,water-main pipe, There is tons and tons left buried in the ground, but mostly in roadways ,which is not feasible ,unless you want to pay for a new road. Keep you eyes open !

I have 3 gallon bucket full of old lead wheel weights.
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

If you ever want to cash them in they seem to move quite well at a dollar a pound. About 60 pounds would fit just fine on a medium size flat rate priority mail box, but I try to keep mines to 40 pounds top. I'm getting old and I like my postman. The trick is to double box them, cut down a medium flat rate box to fix another.

Wheel weights are about 30 pounds per gallon/volume.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    If you ever want to cash them in they seem to move quite well at a dollar a pound. About 60 pounds would fit just fine on a medium size flat rate priority mail box, but I try to keep mines to 40 pounds top. I'm getting old and I like my postman. The trick is to double box them, cut down a medium flat rate box to fix another.

Wheel weights are about 30 pounds per gallon/volume.
    I thought the weight limit was 20 lbs or maybe 50.

How much does that flat rate box cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Phronesis View Post
    I thought the weight limit was 20 lbs or maybe 50.

How much does that flat rate box cost?
    Weight limit for flat rate boxes is 70 pounds. The cost for a medium one is $14.35

I start by preparing an inner box. I cut 3/8 of an inch on two ends which when assembled makes a smaller box that fits on a regular box. Some more cutting and adjustment have to be done to the top flat of that inner box in order to make it fit. 60 pounds of wheel weight lead fits just fine on such a box. You then cover the entire package with tape so if it falls down it doesn't crack open.