Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: Investing in mining companies

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSilver View Post
    Miners can easily go back to 10 year lows, they are mostly debt slaves and must love the banksters cause banksters is what keeps them alive.


    I'm not buying zilch anymore, GDX $15 might be a start to look around and see what is still alive.
    They sell using the paper price so 2020 will be very very bad for silver miners.

    Oh yes, the miners could easily retest their lows and may go even lower. It's best though to buy some now and have money left over to buy more in the next few months.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,129

    Default

    Here you have an interesting discussion between Rick Rule and
    Marin Katusa. Subject: picking up gold mining stocks.

    The discussion encompasses many gold companies. It is rather hard
    to select a few key points, as there are so many key points.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhYhykG23Y

  3. #23

    Default

    I have been stuck with under performing miners (ETF) for way to long (hoping value would catch up to physical). However this coming week, if prices keep going up, I may finally sell some for trading -- as I highly doubt their value I got them at (all over ten years ago) will ever get near physical. At some point, if I trade well enough to bring it's value up to what physical gold is (had I held for same amount of time), I will sell for good, never to return. One should never think buying miners is like buying gold, it is not "doubling down" on golds rise as so many financial heads would like you to believe.

    I don't myself have the time to research individual companies such as to make choices that will beat the average gold mining index. I wonder how many individual investors do have such time and have such great belief in their sources, to think they can beat the market.
    Last edited by motocat; 05-03-2020 at 01:52 AM.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,129

    Default

    Balmoral Resources BAR.TO announced a (very) high interception 858 grams/tonne at its
    property in Quebec:

    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/st...155800966.html

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oak333 View Post
    Here you have an interesting discussion between Rick Rule and
    Marin Katusa. Subject: picking up gold mining stocks.

    The discussion encompasses many gold companies. It is rather hard
    to select a few key points, as there are so many key points.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhYhykG23Y
    would this apply to Pt since almost all Pt output come from negative swap countries?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    I have been stuck with under performing miners (ETF) for way to long (hoping value would catch up to physical). However this coming week, if prices keep going up, I may finally sell some for trading -- as I highly doubt their value I got them at (all over ten years ago) will ever get near physical. At some point, if I trade well enough to bring it's value up to what physical gold is (had I held for same amount of time), I will sell for good, never to return. One should never think buying miners is like buying gold, it is not "doubling down" on golds rise as so many financial heads would like you to believe.

    I don't myself have the time to research individual companies such as to make choices that will beat the average gold mining index. I wonder how many individual investors do have such time and have such great belief in their sources, to think they can beat the market.

    The gold mining stocks have admittedly not done very well in the past eight or so years but very likely are poised to shine or even explode going forward. I would suggest that you invest in a diversified gold stock fund.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aberdeen View Post
    The gold mining stocks have admittedly not done very well in the past eight or so years but very likely are poised to shine or even explode going forward. I would suggest that you invest in a diversified gold stock fund.
    I have been stuck with gold mining ETF's and mutual funds since I made the mistake of buying in 2008 (thinking it was doubling down on gold as some soft handed types told me). Will never do again. For anyone thinking of doing -- look at the charts first please, randomly pick a period of time to see for yourself how they have faired vs physical gold (say GDX vs GLD). I now believe my mining stock will NEVER catch up to physical gold value if I just keep sitting on it, so will now trade part of them on highs and lows hoping to at least catch up with physical.

    If one must play mining stock -- you should have bought at recent lows in March. Crazy to do so now. Mining falls big on drops in physical gold price, which will come. Wait for big lows to buy, and if you are really good trader, maybe you can do better than just holding physical. Then again, if trading stock is your thing, more reliable dividend paying stock to do that with, take and oil ETF like VDE for example.

    Investing in miners is not doubling down on physical gold. Only good traders who can time the big swings, or those who have the time/connections to know which particular miners will do well in the future, should consider owning them.

    I'm not new to this. Been following them closely over a decade.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    I have been PMs and PM stocks for over 35 years and has been a horrible "investment". IMHO real estate would have been much better. Regular ETFs OK. Appears the story is now better for PMs with all of the extra $ creation out of thin air.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    I have been stuck with gold mining ETF's and mutual funds since I made the mistake of buying in 2008 (thinking it was doubling down on gold as some soft handed types told me). Will never do again. For anyone thinking of doing -- look at the charts first please, randomly pick a period of time to see for yourself how they have faired vs physical gold (say GDX vs GLD). I now believe my mining stock will NEVER catch up to physical gold value if I just keep sitting on it, so will now trade part of them on highs and lows hoping to at least catch up with physical.

    If one must play mining stock -- you should have bought at recent lows in March. Crazy to do so now. Mining falls big on drops in physical gold price, which will come. Wait for big lows to buy, and if you are really good trader, maybe you can do better than just holding physical. Then again, if trading stock is your thing, more reliable dividend paying stock to do that with, take and oil ETF like VDE for example.

    Investing in miners is not doubling down on physical gold. Only good traders who can time the big swings, or those who have the time/connections to know which particular miners will do well in the future, should consider owning them.

    I'm not new to this. Been following them closely over a decade.

    It always helps to be patient and wait for great opportunities to present themselves, such as I did in March when I scooped up a lot more shares of my mining fund at very good prices. Buying back in 2012 turned out to be a bad idea for some, as gold stocks plunged 85% in the next few years. One thing to consider is the following. Gold went from around 250 to 1900 from 2001-2011, while the gold stocks went up an incredible 1,664% so as to leverage the physical price between two and three to one.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    I have been PMs and PM stocks for over 35 years and has been a horrible "investment". IMHO real estate would have been much better. Regular ETFs OK. Appears the story is now better for PMs with all of the extra $ creation out of thin air.

    So it's been a horrible investment at various times in the past - so what? The only thing that matters now is the future. Gold did poorly from the early 1980s to 2001 and then again from 2011- 2015, but it did tremendously from 2001-2011

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •