Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coins or bars?

It's hard to find deals on 90% dollars in my area. Dimes, quarters, and Halves buy/sell for exactly the same price. The mark up on dollars is horrible, $20/ for culls and damaged Peace and Morgans for the past few years regardless of POS. AU dollars go for $25 in the same shops. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzuar View Post
    It's hard to find deals on 90% dollars in my area. Dimes, quarters, and Halves buy/sell for exactly the same price. The mark up on dollars is horrible, $20/ for culls and damaged Peace and Morgans for the past few years regardless of POS. AU dollars go for $25 in the same shops. Go figure.
    A dealer near me in CT is selling peace dollar junk for $13 a coin. Very tempting because I sold some not too long ago and got an average of 16 a piece after mail and fees. When you take pictures and offer it up, you don't say.... selling peace culls I got cheap at the dealer....lol These are vintage coins with some character man!! That's not dirt ( think Mustard and grey poop on) That is Patina....lol
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Eph 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmhey View Post
    A dealer near me in CT is selling peace dollar junk for $13 a coin. Very tempting because I sold some not too long ago and got an average of 16 a piece after mail and fees. When you take pictures and offer it up, you don't say.... selling peace culls I got cheap at the dealer....lol These are vintage coins with some character man!! That's not dirt ( think Mustard and grey poop on) That is Patina....lol
    hey bob, for a dealer to be selling them at that price they must be really trashed. dented, wholes drilled, slick worn smooth, etc. those must be what he would otherwise send to the refinery at 6% under melt or so around $11.75, that being said, just think about resale and where you will sell them when/if the time should come. certainly check them out though. if they are in any good shape at all, pick them up. good fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by scrane View Post
    ...One thing I like about the Monster box and big bars is the ease of keeping track and ease of storage. Is there a compact solution for packaging, say, 50x 10 oz Sunshine bars into a nice brick?...
    1) Sell the 10 oz Sunshine bars.
    2) Buy gold coins.
    3) Store the gold coins in a small bag someplace safe.

Viola! A compact storage solution.

Oh, geese, I thought I could narrow my options and now 90%!
    I have to admit that I don't think there was a prettier coin ever made than the Mercury Dime.
    I'm on a junk buying binge lately. I love Mercury dimes , just picked a bunch up yesterday

Oh, geese, I thought I could narrow my options and now 90%!
    I have to admit that I don't think there was a prettier coin ever made than the Mercury Dime.
    I'm on a junk buying binge lately. I love Mercury dimes , just picked a bunch up yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
    1) Sell the 10 oz Sunshine bars.
    2) Buy gold coins.
    3) Store the gold coins in a small bag someplace safe.

Viola! A compact storage solution.
    I have some gold, too. But I really like the heft and color of silver.

Quote Originally Posted by xbox1977 View Post
    Yeah, I just ordered eight rolls of circulated Mercs.

I wanted some fractional silver without paying those ridiculous premiums, $2.90 per coin of course equals $29 silver, anyone okay with paying almost double?

Some people don't seem to like Mercs, but I do, I remember filling up a Whitman with 20 cent Mercury dimes I roll searched.

Mostly though I used to penny roll search as a kid, wish I would have done more half-dollar rolls, but a half dollar was a lot more money then than now. For tying up $10 I could search one roll.

When I started stacking back in 2009 I got swept up into middle tier silver, I should have concentrated on my generic and 90% core, but looking back I did buy a lot of premium Aussie silver when the price was low.

I just hope I have enough of a buying window here, once I started getting a reasonable stack last time I was soon priced-out.

Franklins are my next target, I threw in two rolls along with the Mercs, but my next order should be a more substantial one.

I stack for two reasons, wealth protection and a possible SHTF, they can't keep propping up the dollar forever.

Once silver got to about $20 I decided to switch gears and buy land, found a beautiful piece right next to the Olympic Forest in Western Wa., I knew that when RE collapsed the first thing to go would be the vacation property and I got an amazing one for a song.

But, that's all paid for now and silver is back to being relatively cheap, so I'm all in!

(And look at that GSR! )

Thx
    Last edited by Thx1138; 04-14-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/KitcoKontests/Trophies/Single%20Trophies/SilverTrophy1.jpg

thx1138 you wrote "I wanted some fractional silver without paying those ridiculous premiums, $2.90 per coin of course equals $29 silver, anyone okay with paying almost double?" ..... so first i think you need to re think your math and then i wonder why oh why are you paying well over double melt on 90% dimes? you way overpaid of course, this is jmho. melt = $1.21 per merc dime. ... and of course, NO I am definately not o k paying more than 13 x face at the most. my last 5 constitutional silver purchases were at 11.5 x melt to 12.5 melt tops and this spanned over the past half year. find somewhere else to purchase, sir or madam.
    Last edited by maxwellsilverhammer; 04-14-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    thx1138 you wrote "I wanted some fractional silver without paying those ridiculous premiums, $2.90 per coin of course equals $29 silver, anyone okay with paying almost double?" ..... so first i think you need to re think your math and then i wonder why oh why are you paying well over double melt on 90% dimes? you way overpaid of course, this is jmho. melt = $1.21 per merc dime.
    I don't know what you mean, none of what you say correlates to what I said.

I should have pointed out, the fracs I was looking at were one-tenth ounce, so ten of those @ $2.90 make $29 an ounce silver... (I figured that would just be surmised.)

The Mercs I bought for $68 a roll... (with free shipping... )

(and nowhere did I say the Mercs were the same silver content as the tenth-ounce, so, if that is what you are saying, of course I know the difference and wouldn't have meant that, nor did I say I paid $2.90 for a Merc...)

So I don't believe you understood my post.

(and I was naÔve enough to think I might get a "welcome back" post" or two, lol. :-D)

Thx
    Last edited by Thx1138; 04-14-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/KitcoKontests/Trophies/Single%20Trophies/SilverTrophy1.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123