Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 204

Thread: Short selling is an obvious way of benefiting from market corrections.

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,129

    Default

    Markets awash in red:

    http://markets.wsj.com/

    With the Dow down 424 points and S P 500 down 35 points, with
    many markets abroad in the red, I fail to see any "growing evidence"
    that the bull market is still in charge.

  2. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oak333 View Post
    Good luck with your analysis. Tell Warren Buffett about it. He is 116 $ billion in cash.
    Well the news today would seem to indicate that Warren agrees with me in that this is a typical market correction as Berkshire Hathaway spent a big part of the "cash" being held.....

    "Wall Street may have had doubts about Apple before the company reported its most recent quarterly earnings, but one of the tech company's biggest shareholders Warren Buffett didn't.

    In the first quarter, Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway bought an astounding 75 million shares of Apple. That adds to the 165.3 million shares Berkshire already owned at the end of 2017."

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,129

    Default

    The world biggest hedge fund, Bridgewater of Ray Dalio,
    all 160 billion $, is now reportedly net short equities.

    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...s-short-stocks

    This sentence is just above the picture of Mr. Dalio.

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oak333 View Post
    The world biggest hedge fund, Bridgewater of Ray Dalio,
    all 160 billion $, is now reportedly net short equities.

    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...s-short-stocks

    This sentence is just above the picture of Mr. Dalio.
    Yes, that is one sentence in the entire article but the very next sentence is "Will Mr. Dalio be "feeling pretty stupid" this time next month? Or did the manager of the world's largest hedge fund just signal that it's all over?"

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,129

    Default

    First short-selling conference of the fund managers coming soon.
    They will focus exclusively on short selling:

    https://money.usnews.com/investing/n...ork-conference

    Some fund managers kept their short positions secret, for fear of retribution.

  6. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oak333 View Post
    First short-selling conference of the fund managers coming soon.
    They will focus exclusively on short selling:

    https://money.usnews.com/investing/n...ork-conference

    Some fund managers kept their short positions secret, for fear of retribution.
    oak333 - On 8-17-2017 you started this thread and the S & P 500 closed at 2430. Today it closed at 2697 which is a nearly +11%. If you are in fact shorting the market you are in a very deep hole. How are you positioned to stop this loss?

    I personally believe that we may again visit 2430 this year but that would simply put you back to even with no gain at all. Again, I am really interested in your plan and strategy as simply telling readers to short the market has been a losing plan so far. Even though I disagree with you and remain looking to the market moving upward - I have a plan in case I am wrong and you are right.....
    Last edited by Redrum; 05-10-2018 at 10:53 AM.

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    oak333 - On 8-17-2017 you started this thread and the S & P 500 closed at 2430. Today it closed at 2697 which is a nearly 11%. If you are in fact shorting the market you are in a very deep hole. How are you positioned to stop this loss?

    ....
    If you find yourself in a deep hole, the first step in getting out is to STOP DIGGING.

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oak333 View Post
    First short-selling conference of the fund managers coming soon.
    They will focus exclusively on short selling:

    https://money.usnews.com/investing/n...ork-conference

    Some fund managers kept their short positions secret, for fear of retribution.
    oak333, did you even read the article????? I did and it is not a positive one for short sellers. In fact this is a direct quote from the person who scheduled the conference you reference:

    "After a nine-year bull market, (short selling) was like swimming upstream," said conference organizer Whitney Tilson, who credits short-selling with saving his own hedge fund during the 2007-2009 financial crisis.

    "No one does it well," Tilson added. He shuttered his fund last year and is now focusing on teaching the next generation.

    Last year dedicated short-sellers lost an average 10 percent as other hedge funds gained 6.6 percent, according to Hedge Fund Research data."


    I submit that based upon the evidence you are presenting that in fact - Short selling is NOT an obvious way of benefiting from market corrections. Perhaps it is time to put this thread into the grave that looks to be fully dug or at least on "hold" until the market drops (S & P 500) BELOW 2450.
    Last edited by Redrum; 05-10-2018 at 11:09 AM.

  9. #69

    Default

    One of the biggest issues is that your average joe doesn't understand investing as well as they think they do. The average joe is not a rational or informed investor at all. Many may disagree with me on this, but most people should not be allowed to invest over X% of their income and should not be allowed to use derivatives or short sell until they have proven they understand the basics. You will lose all of your money before you can even blink if you don't know what you're doing.

    Why you should never short sell...

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...cks-2015-11-19
    Last edited by Ellinas; 05-10-2018 at 04:03 PM.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellinas View Post
    One of the biggest issues is that your average joe doesn't understand investing as well as they think they do. The average joe is not a rational or informed investor at all. Many may disagree with me on this, but most people should not be allowed to invest over X% of their income and should not be allowed to use derivatives or short sell until they have proven they understand the basics. You will lose all of your money before you can even blink if you don't know what you're doing.

    Why you should never short sell...

    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...cks-2015-11-19
    You are probably right. The average retail investor is not sophisticated, to say the least.
    But everybody has access to financial advisors. Short selling is now much easier, and much
    less dangerous, with inverse ETF's. Financial advisors probably do not have difficulties with
    inverse ETF's.

    https://www.stocktrader.com/inverse-...ish-etf-funds/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •