Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's the point of NGC or PCGS grading for brand new 2017 coins?

Quote Originally Posted by nergal View Post
    I've bought a significant number of slabbed silver bullion coins for near spot off Craigslist, sometimes by the dozens, only to turn them for a nice profit through the same venue a few at at time a few weeks later. I like plastic for that. Buy from a plastic guy down on his luck, then sell to a newly monied plastic guy that thinks he's getting a great bargain. Makes for growth in my certified .999 stacks.
    Yes, that's what I also plan to do with my slabbed coins (and then replace with those with no plastic that can literally be stacked). Only problem is, I no longer have the time to spend on ebay and such.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

"A scam" Agreed. Its just a way for them to find an excuse to raise their premiums/profit margin. Besides ebay, you wont get what you paid for it until prices rise but then in a sense you are still out that premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre Plata View Post
    "A scam" Agreed. Its just a way for them to find an excuse to raise their premiums/profit margin. Besides ebay, you wont get what you paid for it until prices rise but then in a sense you are still out that premium.
    Your opinion okay There are a strong following that collect these, so do not put them out.
    Live Well* Love Much* Laugh Often

Quote Originally Posted by Phronesis View Post
    What are TPG'ers?
    Third Party Graders
    PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG

What I'm getting out of this thread is diversity, opinions, taste, personalities and preferences
    That's why we have choices

What I don't understand is the bad mouthing some will give to just about anything, as if everything THEY THEMSELVES don't like is nothing more than a scam
    It doesn't hurt anyone if someone prefers raw bullion, it doesn't hurt anyone if someone prefers certified bullion

We should all be thankful there are enough folks who are buying what it is that we personally like / stack that there exists plenty of exit strategies available for all of us

eh, this is the Free World and we have choices
    Why is everything a competition?
    Honor for US, Justice for Our Children! Now!

Don't take it so personal. But if something is WAY overpriced, well beyond a fair market value, what would you call it? Its your hard earned money to spend as you like. There's no bad mouthing going on. The word scam means deceptive. A 2017 BU ASE is at around $20 right now, that same coin graded at MS70 is $42. So it costs them $25 to have it graded and put in a plastic case? I think not. Its not that I don't like it, I would just rather get two coins for that price. Its not about like or dislike its about wisdom and common sense to me. But in the same breath you say its ok for people to have opinions but you call me "bad mouthed" for expressing my opinions. Why are you attacking me for expressing my opinion? There is nothing wrong with grading coins that deserve or attain the value to have that designation.
    Last edited by Hombre Plata; 07-30-2017 at 08:59 PM.

My post 23 said this-"Your opinion okay There are a strong following that collect these, so do not put them out."
    never called you bad mouthed. perhaps we are not on the same point.. pm me if i am wrong.
    Live Well* Love Much* Laugh Often

I was talking to Chump change on the post above me. Sorry for the confusion, I should have clicked on "reply with quote" in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Chump Change View Post
    Third Party Graders
    PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG

What I'm getting out of this thread is diversity, opinions, taste, personalities and preferences
    That's why we have choices

What I don't understand is the bad mouthing some will give to just about anything, as if everything THEY THEMSELVES don't like is nothing more than a scam
    It doesn't hurt anyone if someone prefers raw bullion, it doesn't hurt anyone if someone prefers certified bullion

We should all be thankful there are enough folks who are buying what it is that we personally like / stack that there exists plenty of exit strategies available for all of us

eh, this is the Free World and we have choices
    Why is everything a competition?
    It's not a scam, it is that you think that, as a coin collector, you think that a $20 silver coin should have a $22 plastic cover with someones opinion written on it that it is a clean coin, without flaws.

No problem, to each his own, after 5 years of collecting, my stack of valuable intrinsic value that can Never be taken away from the metal will be over twice the physical amount that you would end up having, but your extra "value" comes from having coins that you now have to treat with extra kid gloves, and once those silver coins start to turn color and tarnish eventually, from oxygen getting to them, they are no longer ms70 anyway...... good luck trying to sell them for the extra premium you bought them for.... not to mention the number of people who buy PM's for actual content value versus numismatic buyers is over 100 to 1, so when it is time to sell for needed cash, your chances of getting another numismatist to pay that premium is 100 times harder than selling even to a foundry for spot.

Possibly gold in plastic slabe will fare a little better... but If you were around about 4 years ago when I told the experience I saw at my LCS, where a woman brought in a slabbed 1oz gold coin, I think graded ms69 or similar, dropped it in front of the counter, after getting a higher than spot offer, the case cracked, coin came out, and got scratched. Bye bye the 100% premium she paid for it, instantly, the LCS gave her spot.

once again, just my opinion, and different goal in stacking for the future.
    Last edited by shades; 07-30-2017 at 09:22 PM.

My LCS has numismatists, and there is a large stock of numismatics. The number of these type collectors, according to the owner, was about 50% of his business 15 years ago.
    Today, it is less than 10%. He says most of the nusmismatists are elderly, and as they die off, hardly any young people are interested. It is a shame, because I recognize most of the display numismatics in the cases as being the same coins he has had for several years.

The overall demand is down, seems that the Franklin Mint and other similar outfits that put out junk "graded" gold plated coins, the younger set has a disdain for more of what they see as not "worth it". There are always, however folks who love the rare, and they buy truly rare and numismatic coins. I have had my eye on a very good condition 1723 escudo doubloon, one of these days, but can't get over paying 10x spot.........

Modern Certified Bullion:
    One mans story

Shopping one day, ran into a 2010 NGC Certified Silver Eagle Early Release Label MS69
    Purchased the bullion coin for $32.00
    Held it for approx 12 months, then put it up for sale
    Sold for $50.00

Shopping one day, ran into a 2012 (S) PCGS Certified Silver Eagle First Strike Label MS69
    Purchased the bullion coin for $29.00
    Sold for $45.00

Modern Certified Bullion has it's place

Lesson Off

Good Night fellas, chill out
    Honor for US, Justice for Our Children! Now!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast