Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Where now for Rhodium?

(Surprisingly) sharp price increase for rhodium; Price of ruthenium continues its steady climb; Increased demand for iridium

While it appeared at the end of last week that the rhodium market would settle down and stabilize, the market once again had its own ideas: Large-volume purchases, some of them speculative, drove the price sharply higher at the start of the reporting week. Rhodium clawed back $250/oz. over the course of the week. It is now just $125/oz. below the record high it reached at the end of October. The price fluctuations over the past four weeks – first, a price increase of $400/oz., followed by a decline of $350/oz. and then a quick recovery of $250/oz. – are unprecedented even though the reasons for them are, of course, clear. Potential industrial market participants, sellers and buyers alike, are understandably very nervous and have in some cases overreacted. In general, however, the upward movement appears to be supported by the fundamentals, as the auto industry continues to shift from platinum to palladium and rhodium given the much higher number of vehicles being ordered with gas engines over those with diesel engines. We anticipate a well-supported market with strong physical interest over the coming week.

https://www.heraeus.com/en/hpm/marke...t_reports.aspx

Anyone who has any idea how high Rhodium can go this time around -- and what is the driving force behind it's rapid recovery from $600/oz? Going to 2K likely, or that kind of swing no longer likely given so many who must have been loading up at sub $1k?

Regardless, for the first time, I'm happy I got Rhodium. It's the craziest of PM's -- but today it helped temper the losses all the other PM's took.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

H.L. Mencken

I hadn't looked at POR since shortly after buying it last year. Then got the notify of new post in this thread so I took a look. Yippee we are on the way to 10K. In case not obvious... I have no idea where rhodium price is going. Could go to $1k for all I know. But as said nice to see the recent run.

Quote Originally Posted by ynot2k View Post
    I hadn't looked at POR since shortly after buying it last year. Then got the notify of new post in this thread so I took a look. Yippee we are on the way to 10K. In case not obvious... I have no idea where rhodium price is going. Could go to $1k for all I know. But as said nice to see the recent run.
    yep i picked up 10 ozt last year just for the fun of it. if it should climb to 10k i would have to sell at least half and let the rest ride i think. buying gold with the frns from the sale.

the other 4 metals down today. rhodium the only one up. glad i got in last year.

Anyone on this forum know about Rhodium direction? Seems like just a little while ago it was sub 1000 (to 600 at one point) and now flirting with 2000. What has changed? If it is because supply is so irregular, you would think major users would have stocked up when prices where three time lower? Or has something fundamentally changed with supply and or demand since a couple years ago? And whatever this is -- why has it not effected platinum and palladium to such a degree?

Thinking it's time to sell soon - unless their are fundamental reason to think price will keep shooting up (have not heard any yet).
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    Anyone on this forum know about Rhodium direction? Seems like just a little while ago it was sub 1000 (to 600 at one point) and now flirting with 2000. What has changed? If it is because supply is so irregular, you would think major users would have stocked up when prices where three time lower? Or has something fundamentally changed with supply and or demand since a couple years ago? And whatever this is -- why has it not effected platinum and palladium to such a degree?

Thinking it's time to sell soon - unless their are fundamental reason to think price will keep shooting up (have not heard any yet).
    nothing specific other than probably supply and demand. i am personally looking for another huge runnup over the next few years. jmho and mainly just an uneducated guess that since the beat down from 10k to 1 k, minors veered away from pulling it out of the earth and now finally the resource has diminished regarding above ground rh necessary for manufacturing needs.

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post

Rhodium is mined purely as a byproduct of the other platinum group metals. When demand for the PGMs goes down, less PGMs are mined and less rhodium is available for the market, even though demand for rhodium remains stable. I suspect that the slump in demand for PGMs has meant that less rhodium is being mined. I expect rhodium demand to remain strong so long as the new emission standards are being put into effect in Europe and China. As you may know, rhodium is the only metal that is capable of reducing nitrogen exhaust in catalytic converters. The new emission standards are stricter in regards to nitrogen pollution, so I expect demand for rhodium to remain stable for the foreseeable future. You'd think that the big companies would have stocked up on rhodium while it was lower, but I don't see any evidence that that is the case. Some companies may be buying in now in anticipation that buying now is still cheaper than buying 1, 2 or 5 years from now.

I should also mention the political instability in South Africa may have something to do with it as well, since 80% of the world's rhodium is mined there.
    Last edited by forcho130; 03-20-2018 at 11:25 PM.

i am happy with my rhodium investment gaining over 20% sale value back to Kitco pool in only 5 months. one ounce bars selling at $2k and above now. glad i nibbled when i did. best p m buy for this old guy so far.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    i am happy with my rhodium investment gaining over 20% sale value back to Kitco pool in only 5 months. one ounce bars selling at $2k and above now. glad i nibbled when i did. best p m buy for this old guy so far.
    Yes, but I'm only seeing kitco buying and that's for $1780 -- a $235/oz buy/sell spread! Maybe ebay the way to go for selling Rhodium? Anyone looking to buy Rh 1 oz bars now -- I'm looking to sell, so let me know.

H.L. Mencken

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast