Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LCS & neodymium

This web site has charts of many materials and the x-ray fluorescence (XRF) reading depth possible for a range of x-ray energies. Scroll down for the chart for gold...
    http://www.xrf.guru/styled-12/page40/index.html

Notice that maximum depth is on the order of a few hundred microns. Human hair is about 100 microns. So xrf will be defeated by even a small layer of gold.

[Note that those depths are penetration depths of the x-rays. In order to get a reading at the gun, the fluorescence emission has to reach the gun's detector; and those radiation energies are much less. So the practical reading depth is going to be much less than what you see in that chart.]
    Last edited by DaveChapin77; 03-02-2017 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveChapin77 View Post
    This web site has charts of many materials and the x-ray fluorescence (XRF) reading depth possible for a range of x-ray energies. Scroll down for the chart for gold...
    http://www.xrf.guru/styled-12/page40/index.html

Notice that maximum depth is on the order of a few hundred microns. Human hair is about 100 microns. So xrf will be defeated by even a small layer of gold.

[Note that those depths are penetration depths of the x-rays. In order to get a reading at the gun, the fluorescence emission has to reach the gun's detector; and those radiation energies are much less. So the practical reading depth is going to be much less than what you see in that chart.]
    yes, gold is excellent in blocking electromagnetic wave.
    http://www.geek.com/news/geek-answer...-foil-1568610/

For a diverse portfolio you have to have some amount of low premium metal that you're willing to melt. I don't want to melt my 90%, and I don't want to melt my ASEs and CMLs if I don't have to. That's why generic bullion has its place. In a barter scenario I don't care what an XRF gun or a receipt or a scale says.
    Trading fiat currency for precious metals is not an investment. Rather, this amounts to disinvestment from currency mandated for tax purposes. Gold and silver are money. Currency is merely a medium of exchange.

Been to many a coin shop that don't own magnets, scales, calipers, xrf guns or anything to verify authenticity. Sold many a coin where they don't even look at them, just hand over cash and throw directly in the case to sell to the next customer. Pretty amazing actually. I check, double check and triple check everything I purchase, no matter where it comes from. Use multiple methods to verify, any single check can be beat by the counterfeiters.
    Buy Low Sell High

Keeping it simple with the Eagles, Maples and Krugs....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12