Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCS & neodymium

Default LCS & neodymium

I've visited 2 LCS in my area to see what they have. In both places, when I brought up the topic of checking silver with a Neodymium magnet; they were completely clueless and thought I was crazy... " A neo what?!" "Silver isn't magnetic"!
    I would then have to educate THEM on this method of checking silver. They were utterly amazed as they watched the magnet slowly slid off the silver.

Isn't this something LCS should know?! Or is it the 'world's best kept secret'?

Quote Originally Posted by silvermana View Post
    I've visited 2 LCS in my area to see what they have. In both places, when I brought up the topic of checking silver with a Neodymium magnet; they were completely clueless and thought I was crazy... " A neo what?!" "Silver isn't magnetic"!
    I would then have to educate THEM on this method of checking silver. They were utterly amazed as they watched the magnet slowly slid off the silver.

Isn't this something LCS should know?! Or is it the 'world's best kept secret'?
    common enough.......for sure..

If I was a LCS I'd be buying a XRF gun.

Every year stories hit the news that some or even several LCS's were hit by buying fake gold bars or coins. XRF gun would tell you in a heart beat.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

The student has become the teacher. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    If I was a LCS I'd be buying a XRF gun.

Every year stories hit the news that some or even several LCS's were hit by buying fake gold bars or coins. XRF gun would tell you in a heart beat.
    can the XRF verify Platinum? I think the answer is yes, but would like verification here.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    can the XRF verify Platinum? I think the answer is yes, but would like verification here.
    Although this is not the gun, here is a similar tester.

Many standard metals are stored in the Precious Metal Verifier and can be selected by the user. For example, for gold coins the user can select pure gold, 22 K gold, 90% gold, or American eagle gold; for silver, pure silver, sterling silver, 90% silver. and Britannia silver. Pure platinum, palladium, rhodium, and copper also have stored values. Each of these coin and bullion metals will produce a unique reading on the Precious Metal Verifier. Even small changes in alloy make a big difference in the readings on the Precious Metal Verifier.

http://www.sigmametalytics.com/details.html
    Last edited by Mytal; 03-01-2017 at 03:25 PM.

I wouldn't recommend xrf gun. Useless against Chinese fake.
    sigma's meter is not perfect but best 1 test machine out there for common coins and bars

Very Nice, but out of my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    I wouldn't recommend xrf gun. Useless against Chinese fake.
    sigma's meter is not perfect but best 1 test machine out there for common coins and bars
    I know several on another forum that have them and run a coin business, and they do work on Chinese fakes and fake Pamp bars. Even if they are double dipped.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    I know several on another forum that have them and run a coin business, and they do work on Chinese fakes and fake Pamp bars. Even if they are double dipped.
    thanks for the update.
    Must be a very good xrf ray gun to punch through a double dip

I think xrf would be great for assaying jewelery where sigma meter is weak on.
    Nice toys to have for serious stacker, LCS and jeweler
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 03-01-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast