Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I sell gold bracelets and buy silver??? What would you do.

Quote Originally Posted by JM_Silver_Addict View Post
    I'm in the minority here I guess.......
    I buy scrap gold all the time and the only time I keep gold is when there is a double eagle or other coin jewelry I'll keep the coin otherwise all the rings and chains get melted down and I get my initial investment back to my bankroll and take my profits in 10 ounce silver bars always. Diamonds gemstones are a nice byproduct from this as I only pay for the gold value and end up with the rest for free which I turn into more 10 ounce silver bars.
    I hear ya'. I'd trade for silver as well. Two reasons. First is I see silver having much more upside from here. I mean if the market really got going silver could double. I don't see $2,500 gold anytime soon. But $36 silver? Sure, could happen. Second is with gold jewelry, the value and weight is not always obvious to some buyers. If I wanted to trade or even sell, with the bars or coins I know what I've got exactly. Silver all the way for me on this deal. Only exception would be if I wanted to wear the gold jewelry personally. But if not I'd be eager to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytal View Post
    The whole part of storing it makes one think... There is a time , when less (tozs) are more.....
    Waiting....Waiting. No ratio in the forecast......
    Happy Stacking.
    stacking and holding is the best hedge insurance possible.. stack hard... develop a core..

I frequent a jewelry/pawn store a few towns away, known them since as a kid , my father taking me there. The old man handed it down to his son , so he/ we know each other.. Mostly like his two female German Shephards that peruse the place while open for business.
    He has often let me in on some items he was going to junk out, where they could easily be tooled into a bracelet and sometimes the waste was the price to do this. Some a new clasp and polish... Lots of work. To hold Gold jewelry, is like holding $ , Just as anything of value
    Regards Capt
    love it, i fell it, and have alwaYS ENJOYED THAT SAME APPRECIATION OF A STORE THAT LOVES MY BUYS, MY SELLS AND MY KNOWLEDGE.. ALMOST FAMILY!.. WHEN A SELLER WILL TREAT YOU SPECIAL.. YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING PROPER...

KUDOS MY LADY....

I buy scrap gold all the time and the only time I keep gold is when there is a double eagle or other coin jewelry I'll keep the coin otherwise all the rings and chains get melted down and I get my initial investment back to my bankroll and take my profits in 10 ounce silver bars always. Diamonds gemstones are a nice byproduct from this as I only pay for the gold value and end up with the rest for free which I turn into more 10 ounce silver bars.
    you don't find lower denomination gold coinage in your private or pawn/thrift/ yard/ antique/store/flea/ finds??
    e all have varied strategy..

The whole part of storing it makes one think... There is a time , when less (tozs) are more.....
    Waiting....Waiting. No ratio in the forecast......
    Happy Stacking.
    do you mean no trading ratio my lady, is not nearly forced at us anytime soon, lol, if so, i agree 100%?...otherwise please explain and extrapolate..? if ya will..?

I purchased a nice gold necklace for my girlfriend. Paid almost spot. Spot was 504,I paid 500. A similar weight and style, brand new is about 2500. That being said I figure they buy at 50-70% spot. They have special K calculators. He may have repaired it? But the spread on jewelry is huge. I remember when I graduated HS 1992. My HS ring at half spot was still with more 30 years later, just in gold alone. Made my Christmas that year. Was unemployed.

Myself, I like both metals. Good for compact value and silver because it has collector pop.
    Last edited by Bobmhey; 02-18-2017 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    you don't find lower denomination gold coinage in your private or pawn/thrift/ yard/ antique/store/flea/ finds??
    e all have varied strategy..
    I don't actively seek out gold coins at all.....My entire focus is silver as far as stacking and if gold finds me I keep it. All my private deals are silver or buy scrap to keep cash or turn into silver. The only thing I do is hunt pawn shops for small diamonds used to set pave jewelry. Usually pawn shops buy scrap gold jewelry and only pay for gold and nothing for diamonds. I like to hit up pawn shops and buy those little diamonds for $50 per carat and flip them to a diamond dealer I know here in LA and even that turns into silver or more cash to the bankroll. This is my comfort zone and I stick to it.

Jewelry has always been an interesting thought for me

I've decided to keep as much functional gold jewelry, 18k and above, that I get my hands on

To make a bar of metal is nothing, comparatively speaking, but to make a gold chain requires more...more physical energy, at least and therefore, for me, holds more value than a bar of equal weight and assay

Jewelry is easier to hide, easier to transport and far more people recognize gold jewelry than they do a gold Panda or ASE or any readily available fake gold coin
    Jewelry should always be fungible for something else (if not, your Panda won't do you any good either)
    Jewelry is easier to understand when received as a gift, for many people, than a lump of cold metal

IDK, I've sold a fair amount of broken pieces and I've sold a fair amount to get my "seed money" back but one day, it dawned on me why having some gold jewelry was a good idea

Diversity

Don't get me wrong, I only have some but that's because I haven't run across any for a while
    I don't actively seek gold jewelry, it's something that usually finds me

And sometimes just for kicks, I'll carry around my cash inside a 22k money clip I picked up one day in a bag of costume jewelry
    Funny, I'm not sure how many times I've misplaced that clip...no money in it, obviously

Of course, I'd say, if you don't need the fiat, keep the jewelry and when you get more, or prices go up, dump the non-cool pieces below 18k and keep the rest. who knows, maybe you'll get a gf one day, give her a cool ring or something and you'll probably get lucky for a while LOL

JK about the last part though
    Honor for US, Justice for Our Children! Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzuar View Post
    Nice chart. And just to add my two cents, the GSR has stayed between 60 and 75 since 2012, except for 2015 Q4 when it went to 80 for a short time.
    I would also hold the gold for now. The GSR trade requires two specific conditions to happen at the same time. A good market to sell gold and a good market to buy silver and I'm not convinced either condition is met.
    Nice buy on the gold, don't be in a hurry.
    Do you think that 60 to 75 is a big enough swing to make the GSR trade worthwhile ?

where do you sell your gems?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast