Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which to keep when selling - less worn 60's or more worn 40's and 30's washington quarters?

I am always surprised by the numbers of people buying older worn coins over the uncirculated newer silver coins, but it is the right thing to do. There are many millions more of the 50s-60s coins produced over the 30-40s. Walking halves averaged roughly 8 million/yr and the last year they made franklins was like 60,000,000!

Quote Originally Posted by everything1 View Post
    So to summarize hold on to low mintage/key and better condition? I'm looking to add to my 90%, junk wise which 90% is most desirable outside the dollars which cost way to much in my opinion.
    i would say that the halfs - all of them. they are going to go the way that the dollars did 6 or 7 years ago. i got a lot of dollars back then at cost or only 5 % premium. now hard to find under 20%-40% premium; unless you are a well honed hunt master like a few here (not me). if i can get them in rough cull condition at $16 i think that is a bargain. So, that is the way i think halfs will go and am already seeing this in the walkers. i just sold and will continue to sell the kennedys first before the more worn franklins and much more worn walkers. i do not like selling any silver but for a precious metal switch from one type to another i dont mind nearly as much. the ultimate end game for me is gold but the ratio is too high to swap ag for au. currently gambling on the low ratio for pt to silver. the gsr charts move too slowly for me and i was only able to take advantage of them twice in the past decade. jmho

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    yes you will have to get a higher x's face in order to pay the fees and shipping.
    Recently did a little silver selling and didn't do to bad. I usually add a little weight to the shipping factor so at the end of the year shipping is the black hole while sales is what you are making. A 2.55 mailer charging 4.25 is more realistic. Especially if you end up paying 2.10 and 60 cents for the mailer and 25 cents worth of tape. I got up to 40 an oz on premium. As a long time ebay user I noticed that if you price your metal reasonable and make it so they have to pay. You often make a quick sale and the money is available at the nearest ATM v. the nearest shop, during shop hours, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    i would say that the halfs - all of them. they are going to go the way that the dollars did 6 or 7 years ago. i got a lot of dollars back then at cost or only 5 % premium. now hard to find under 20%-40% premium; unless you are a well honed hunt master like a few here (not me). if i can get them in rough cull condition at $16 i think that is a bargain. So, that is the way i think halfs will go and am already seeing this in the walkers. i just sold and will continue to sell the kennedys first before the more worn franklins and much more worn walkers. i do not like selling any silver but for a precious metal switch from one type to another i dont mind nearly as much. the ultimate end game for me is gold but the ratio is too high to swap ag for au. currently gambling on the low ratio for pt to silver. the gsr charts move too slowly for me and i was only able to take advantage of them twice in the past decade. jmho
    I'm the same when it comes to selling silver. I hate doing it, but sometimes necessary to switch out of bulk silver to gold. I've got a few 40% Kennedy halves that need to go, but was hoping for a breakout move on silver last year before dumping them. Maybe in 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by jiggysmb View Post
    I am always surprised by the numbers of people buying older worn coins over the uncirculated newer silver coins, but it is the right thing to do. There are many millions more of the 50s-60s coins produced over the 30-40s. Walking halves averaged roughly 8 million/yr and the last year they made franklins was like 60,000,000!
    Yeah but if we are talking common coins as in their real value is only melt then Id think the newer less-worn coins would be worth more....right? They have more actual silver. I understand the older coins are fewer and far between but again, IF we are talking only melt value then the better-condition coins are worth more to me. Would a price guide come inhandy for this kind of thing? Design-wise, hell yeah... gimme Walkers over Franklins any day of the week

... Let us bring him Silver and Gold!

"Yeah but if we are talking common coins as in their real value is only melt then Id think the newer less-worn coins would be worth more....right?"

Actually for junk silver neither the weight nor the condition is ever really considered in my experience. It's just a face value ratio that wanders loosely based on the POS.
    In Phx we are seeing some of the same preference towards halves, most junk selling at or under 14:1, getting up to 15:1 for any 90% halves regardless of condition. Melt is at 13.2:1 today so that is a steep premium for the bigger coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzuar View Post
    "Yeah but if we are talking common coins as in their real value is only melt then Id think the newer less-worn coins would be worth more....right?"

Actually for junk silver neither the weight nor the condition is ever really considered in my experience. It's just a face value ratio that wanders loosely based on the POS.
    In Phx we are seeing some of the same preference towards halves, most junk selling at or under 14:1, getting up to 15:1 for any 90% halves regardless of condition. Melt is at 13.2:1 today so that is a steep premium for the bigger coin.
    Fair enough - that does make sense.

... Let us bring him Silver and Gold!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12