Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadian mint do not care?

Quote Originally Posted by Acmurray View Post
    Hi All,
    I have a conundrum that I hope a mod or person of knowledge can help me with.
    I have purchased 2015 and 2017 maples and they do not conform to the thickness stated on the Ottawa mint website: thickness of 3.29, Mine are 3.18 or slightly less, and the perfect diameter plus weigh exactly one torr Ounce. I have searched the web for hours regarding this and can't even find one mention.
    Does anyone know about this. I would be very grateful if someone in the know could let me in on it a bit
    Also can a piece of 99.99 silver ever fail the neo magnet test under certain circumstances?
    your Advice will be very much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Aaron
    I guess it has to do wit the " bulk modulus", under different pressures a piece of the same volume / density undergoes a different volume deformation ( or whatever it is called). I guess that when the press pressure when coining a batch can be slightly different and give a slightly different thickness. I am not a metallurgist, but can imagine that pressures ( even with our nowaday machinery) can be different from day to day and compress the blank in a different way.

My two cents

D+

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    or yes, the op measured incorrectly (where) with possibly a poor micrometer or caliper....

i have no Maples in my core stack.... not a coin i deal with much and when i do, they go quickly!
    Not a single one? That's about the most amazing thing I have read here in some time.

sell them and buy eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldFoilHat View Post
    Not a single one? That's about the most amazing thing I have read here in some time.
    nope all ASE generic and bars, many bars, many ASE's, several unopened boxes....no canadian maples..never have held them in the core stack. not unusual for a USA stacker. i would think... agin, have hld them , have bought them, but always to resell, since they sell well on the bay and to others..

Quote Originally Posted by refrep View Post
    sell them and buy eagles.
    and I do the opposite, sell any eagles and buy a nice pretty Maple...

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdude View Post
    and I do the opposite, sell any eagles and buy a nice pretty Maple...
    I used to love the maples, till it's time to sell. Not bad on eBay, but if you have to go to a brick and mortar, Eagles are better in America.

When I stack I mix it up, some in mind for quick sale, other for eBay. eBay isn't bad once you go through the hoops. Anyone keeping score I finally got my car. Picked up a 04 Subaru Wagon with 165k for $2400! Like a lot of people I can't save anything! But I do like to buy gold and silver, hopefully my "new" car will last a few years while I add to the stack. At bare bones watching spot creep up....lol

The amount of money I save on financing, collision, payments helps ease the loss from buy to sell, however it is mitigated it allows me to gamble and keep a cover on spot.

My thought is I lost 755 ish on my 2.55 oz stack. But If I didn't buy it, it would have been pizzas,beers, nights out! Then I would be financing locking up money I have to pay while buying coins is voluntary.
    Last edited by Bobmhey; 02-25-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmhey View Post
    I used to love the maples, till it's time to sell. Not bad on eBay, but if you have to go to a brick and mortar, Eagles are better in America.

When I stack I mix it up, some in mind for quick sale, other for eBay. eBay isn't bad once you go through the hoops. Anyone keeping score I finally got my car. Picked up a 04 Subaru Wagon with 165k for $2400! Like a lot of people I can't save anything! But I do like to buy gold and silver, hopefully my "new" car will last a few years while I add to the stack. At bare bones watching spot creep up....lol

The amount of money I save on financing, collision, payments helps ease the loss from buy to sell, however it is mitigated it allows me to gamble and keep a cover on spot.

My thought is I lost 755 ish on my 2.55 oz stack. But If I didn't buy it, it would have been pizzas,beers, nights out! Then I would be financing locking up money I have to pay while buying coins is voluntary.

please send your GML up my way
    biggest dealer over here buy price are: as of Feb 24, 2017

Canada 1oz Gold Maple Leaf Coins .9999 Fine (In perfect condition) 1263.16 USD each

Canada 1oz Gold Maple Leaf Coins .999 Fine (or damaged .9999 fine) 1638.00 USD each

USA 1oz Gold Eagle Coins 1638.00 USD each

South Africa 1oz Gold Krugerrand Coins 1225.64 USD each
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 02-25-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: conversion to USD

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    please send your GML up my way
    biggest dealer over here buy price are: as of Feb 24, 2017

Canada 1oz Gold Maple Leaf Coins .9999 Fine (In perfect condition) 1263.16 USD each

Canada 1oz Gold Maple Leaf Coins .999 Fine (or damaged .9999 fine) 1238.00 USD each

USA 1oz Gold Eagle Coins 1238.00 USD each

South Africa 1oz Gold Krugerrand Coins 1225.64 USD each

had price in CAD at first, then poor editing to USD.

I'm not a fan of maples or philharmonics because around here they are traded just like generics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12