Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian mint do not care?

Default Canadian mint do not care?

Hi All,
    I have a conundrum that I hope a mod or person of knowledge can help me with.
    I have purchased 2015 and 2017 maples and they do not conform to the thickness stated on the Ottawa mint website: thickness of 3.29, Mine are 3.18 or slightly less, and the perfect diameter plus weigh exactly one torr Ounce. I have searched the web for hours regarding this and can't even find one mention.
    Does anyone know about this. I would be very grateful if someone in the know could let me in on it a bit
    Also can a piece of 99.99 silver ever fail the neo magnet test under certain circumstances?
    your Advice will be very much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Aaron

where did you buy these coins, seemingly by your post, under spec on thickness....and if they are under spec in thickness, would they not be over spec somewhere else on dimension to equal 1 t/oz?....perfect diameter does not fit the final equation sum of one troy ounce..

lets start there..

so if they are the perfect diameter and weight but the thickness is under spec, I would wonder if you think it may be possible that you measured the thickness innacurately?

Maybe this can help you- https://gold-forum.kitco.com/showthr...oin-Dimensions

Post #8... by digbird, who is still an active and very informative poster on Kitco.... 3.15mm

Also not sure what size neo magnet you have, but, if it sticks like a glue or slides right off.... it is something other than .999 or .9999 silver bullion. there really is not much trace elements in the .0001 that will detract , as I said depends on the size magnet.
    More discussion here- https://www.cointalk.com/threads/did-i-buy-the-wrong-size-rare-earth-neodymium-magnets-help.235446/

Regards
    Last edited by Mytal; 02-13-2017 at 07:05 PM.

I buy from reputable most times so I have never measured, but as mentioned above, i would go to a jeweller and try another set of calipers first. AS Cap'n says, if thickness is wrong, then diameter MUST be wrong unless they are fakes... Have to go measure one of mine.....

Quote Originally Posted by Acmurray View Post
    Hi All,
    I have a conundrum that I hope a mod or person of knowledge can help me with.
    I have purchased 2015 and 2017 maples and they do not conform to the thickness stated on the Ottawa mint website: thickness of 3.29, Mine are 3.18 or slightly less, and the perfect diameter plus weigh exactly one torr Ounce. I have searched the web for hours regarding this and can't even find one mention.
    Does anyone know about this. I would be very grateful if someone in the know could let me in on it a bit
    Also can a piece of 99.99 silver ever fail the neo magnet test under certain circumstances?
    your Advice will be very much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Aaron
    I bet they are consistently ~ 3.18mm thickness. I say u have real SML. U r worrying over nothing.

Thanks guys,
    I feel a bit like a man drowning at sea and the post which Mytal directed me to by Digibird has helped a lot. I sent Digybird a detailed Pm and am knackered otherwise, I would thank you all Individually.
    If anyone else has a measure and could just measure the rim of their 1 ounce maple at the I would be very grateful.

PM returned to you.

I think you are okay. So far they haven't perfected a perfectly minted coin, visual differences is always certain on fakes. Since there was no good quality photo's on this thread, it's very hard to say they are fake when the thickness and diameter is within tolerances. Perhaps the person that inputted the info of 3.29 was human error on their site, just a guess. XRF (Xray gun) is a great way to test if in doubt without harming the coins tested. Good luck.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdude View Post
    I buy from reputable most times so I have never measured, but as mentioned above, i would go to a jeweller and try another set of calipers first. AS Cap'n says, if thickness is wrong, then diameter MUST be wrong unless they are fakes... Have to go measure one of mine.....
    or yes, the op measured incorrectly (where) with possibly a poor micrometer or caliper....

i have no Maples in my core stack.... not a coin i deal with much and when i do, they go quickly!

One thing that is always correct is the specific density of a element (assuming STP etc) and you can weight the piece and then weight it suspended in water to determine the density. There's several vid's on youtube that will walk you through the procedure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast