Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Semi-Numis buy-back price

  1. #21

    Default

    It sounds like you're suggesting that very few people collect kookaburras, and therefore there isn't demand for older coins of he series. I doubt that and think that there is enough demand for them that selling them isn't that hard. I know ASEs are easier to sell, but even if a look only appreciated by $5 between now and when I would sell it, it's still better than an eagle and looks better. Craigslist is another place to sell and doesn't have fees.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blitzdude View Post
    Don't buy into the hype. There is no such thing as a modern semi-numismatic bullion coin and you will never come anywhere close to recouping premiums if and when you decide to sell to a dealer. Sure you can go flip them over at Fee-Bay but after your 9%-13% fee hit plus time listing, shipping, getting scammed etc. it's hardly worth it. Stick with low premiums and whats popular and in demand. You can move it quickly, locally and recoup most if not all of your premium.
    Hasn't been my experience. Yes there is a 9% fee (including PayPal with an Ebay store) but in many cases silver coins and rounds sell for more on Ebay than on major websites which makes up for the fee. I've made some great money flipping silver on Ebay and that is why I continue to do it. And if you are selling multiple items, say you have fifty 2012 Kooks for example, you can list once and then buyers have the choice to buy just one or up to as many as you have left. So that is not very time consuming. If you do this regularly the label printing and shipping routine is quick and efficient. Years ago when I was less experienced on Ebay as a buyer I was scammed, or at least disappointed a few times, but as a seller I have never been scammed. NEVER. Now I know some have been scammed and there are stories, but generally this is not a problem, and with PMs specifically as a buyer and a seller I have never had any problems with anyone on Ebay. With the exception of I did return a couple cleaned Morgans once but the refund was processed immediately. Now granted I don't deal in gold or high end items, but with my silver coins and tubes ($500 and less) I have never had any problems whatsoever when selling on Ebay. I highly recommend Ebay for anyone with an interest, but yes there is a learning curve and beginners can makes mistakes that can be costly.

    By the way, there is no hype here, and as far as "semi-numismatic", everyone has a different definition for that term. For me it simply means a coin or round that has already gained collector premium above issue price or at least has the potential for significant premium increase.
    Last edited by SilverStocker; 02-14-2017 at 12:08 PM.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blitzdude View Post
    Don't buy into the hype. There is no such thing as a modern semi-numismatic bullion coin and you will never come anywhere close to recouping premiums if and when you decide to sell to a dealer.
    Agreed.

    And never, ever, buy this stuff slabbed and graded. Never understood it.

    Unless you like to collect for the sake of collecting as a hobby.
    If you like your country, you can keep your country. -- Democratic Party 2019

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
    Agreed.

    And never, ever, buy this stuff slabbed and graded. Never understood it.

    Unless you like to collect for the sake of collecting as a hobby.
    Amazing some of the advice you guys give around here. Collecting is HUGE! A typical stacker is usually not a collector but there are many collectors out there who love graded coins to hold or buy and flip. I don't buy graded coins myself but I completely understand those who do. Keep in mind just buying and selling generic low premium silver puts you behind to start with as you need an increase in POS just to break even. No guarantees you'll profit with a 79 cent premium either. If all you want to do is hold your stack then all of this is moot, but if you buy to flip short term or long term than semi-numi is the BETTER way to go in my experience if you want to turn a profit.

  5. #25

    Default

    I recently watched a 10 oz poured silver bar sell for more on eBay than you could buy it directly from the maker even with their CC markup. So if you're a seller, eBay seems to be the place to sell.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    I recently watched a 10 oz poured silver bar sell for more on eBay than you could buy it directly from the maker even with their CC markup. So if you're a seller, eBay seems to be the place to sell.
    maybe that buyer want to use up his ebate points

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobdabiulder View Post
    It sounds like you're suggesting that very few people collect kookaburras, and therefore there isn't demand for older coins of he series. I doubt that and think that there is enough demand for them that selling them isn't that hard. I know ASEs are easier to sell, but even if a look only appreciated by $5 between now and when I would sell it, it's still better than an eagle and looks better. Craigslist is another place to sell and doesn't have fees.
    Sounds like you want to be a collector and not a stacker and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Much more profit to be had in real numismatic coins though then in modern bullion with a marketing gimmick being labeled as "semi numismatic". High grade Morgans, Pre-33 gold etc. I've power sold on fee bay, sold thousands of ounces on craigslist, LCS to dealers at shows etc. Do what makes you happy but just know it is highly unlikely when the time comes to sell that you will recoup your "semi numi" premiums. Good luck
    Last edited by blitzdude; 02-14-2017 at 09:41 PM.
    Buy Low Sell High

    Keeping it simple with the Eagles, Maples and Krugs....

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blitzdude View Post
    Sounds like you want to be a collector and not a stacker and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Much more profit to be had in real numismatic coins though then in modern bullion with a marketing gimmick being labeled as "semi numismatic". High grade Morgans, Pre-33 gold etc. I've power sold on fee bay, sold thousands of ounces on craigslist, LCS to dealers at shows etc. Do what makes you happy but just know it is highly unlikely when the time comes to sell that you will recoup your "semi numi" premiums. Good luck
    Ok. Have you looked up silver kookaburras on eBay? They can go for 30, 40 or $50+. Compared to the $5 over spot you pay, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine a profit, especially if silver spot goes up. I am NOT a collector. Although these look cool, I'm not trying to complete a collection of every kook; I am buying current year kookaburras and plan on selling them in some years when they fetch an even higher premium. I don't see silver advertised by companies as semi-numismatic, i only see the silver community refer to them as such.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blitzdude View Post
    Sounds like you want to be a collector and not a stacker and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Much more profit to be had in real numismatic coins though then in modern bullion with a marketing gimmick being labeled as "semi numismatic". High grade Morgans, Pre-33 gold etc. I've power sold on fee bay, sold thousands of ounces on craigslist, LCS to dealers at shows etc. Do what makes you happy but just know it is highly unlikely when the time comes to sell that you will recoup your "semi numi" premiums. Good luck
    A question and a comment.

    Comment first is that depending on what semi-numi items you are talking about, you can either lose if it is something gimmicky or you can most definitely gain massive premium on something with a proven track record or a surprise hit. Coming off with statements like "it is highly unlikely when the time comes to sell that you will recoup your "semi numi" premiums." is just plain WRONG. Matter of fact you can most definitely gain a large amount of premium, and as a matter of fact that is what I do and is by far a more profitable way of increasing your investment on silver than with low premium generics. I've done it both ways and premium coins are THE best way to capitalize on new silver coins. To make money on low premium generics or ASEs you need POS to rise a buck or two just so that you can break even, and then above that to profit. With the better semi-numis after a couple years your premiums can rise, and sometimes substantially so that even if POS stays the same of decreases a little you can still profit off of higher premiums. Granted this method is just for flippers and those who stack to stack won't care about any of this.

    My question is, as far as the real numi coins, I buy and collect Morgan dollars but I have no experience in selling or flipping them. That is an area I'd like to indulge in some day but before that I need more experience in grading and being able to detect cleaning and other problems. I'm working on that though. Anyway, if you care to share the best method you've discovered in making money off numis that would be interesting. I'm guessing buying large lots and then selling off individually and/or in small lots? Of course you'd need to be able to find the good deals when buying and know how to sell to maximize profits, but I'm just curious what system an experienced flipper utilizes in this area. Thanks!

  10. #30

    Default

    To your question SilverStacker: I would guess, despite my inexperience, that the ideal way to flip/sell numismatic or semi-numismatic coins would be to buy, like you said, in some form of bulk like 20+ if you can afford it, so you save money. Also be sure to pay in checks and not credit to save more money. Then, maybe wait a bit and sell them off in quantities under 5 without discounts on eBay, Craigslist, etc. this way you minimize purchase cost and therefore maximumize profit. I agree with your response to blitz.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •