Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How do you justify purchasing 1 oz Silver Bullion coins?... seeking advice

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    huh?...what??..<<>>no bloodbath if you buy low and sell high.. think deeper and think why some stack..some keep it as hedge....even large collections of varied bullion preferences....
    stack and enjoy...........its silver and gold, not beanie babies or avon bottles, or truckstop hats......
    Well actually to some it is more like beanie babies. I have A LOT of silver and to me none of it is a hedge or for a SHTF scenario or anything to do with a FIAT collapse. It is just another alternative form of investing and collecting in a market that often moves differently than most of my other investments. Diversification. So yeah, the collector appeal and the price in 3, 12, 24, 60 and 120 months from now is all that matters. I bought this stuff to profit off of and enjoy as a collector, nothing more. The only difference between silver and my stock market portfolio is that I also see silver as a collectible and it has physical form, but as an investment I see one oz of silver being equivalent to one share of stock in a company. Up and down and economic outlook and where is the price heading. So I also need to consider what deals I would lose on (bloodbath) and what premiums items sell for currently and how they premium may or may not be affected in the future. And of course during all of this looking for the best deals. As far as the "collectible" part of buying silver, the premiums on silver even including all generics are so sky high above all my other investments that I just chalk up that premium to entertainment expense, and with that said spending a few bucks more on the better coins (kooks, pandas, etc) is well worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStocker View Post
    Well actually to some it is more like beanie babies. I have A LOT of silver and to me none of it is a hedge or for a SHTF scenario or anything to do with a FIAT collapse. It is just another alternative form of investing and collecting in a market that often moves differently than most of my other investments. Diversification. So yeah, the collector appeal and the price in 3, 12, 24, 60 and 120 months from now is all that matters. I bought this stuff to profit off of and enjoy as a collector, nothing more. The only difference between silver and my stock market portfolio is that I also see silver as a collectible and it has physical form, but as an investment I see one oz of silver being equivalent to one share of stock in a company. Up and down and economic outlook and where is the price heading. So I also need to consider what deals I would lose on (bloodbath) and what premiums items sell for currently and how they premium may or may not be affected in the future. And of course during all of this looking for the best deals. As far as the "collectible" part of buying silver, the premiums on silver even including all generics are so sky high above all my other investments that I just chalk up that premium to entertainment expense, and with that said spending a few bucks more on the better coins (kooks, pandas, etc) is well worth the price of admission.
    i am with you on all that, my silver is the same..sat for years and may for many years, its a core family stack worth a pretty penny, bullion alone..now i have other collections worth more, namely numismatics and art and firearms, and other desired antiquities from famous maker sterling silver sets, to rare one of a kind other..... all only valuable if the world keeps spinning, and the world is spinning cause its all still desired and valuable...
    okay
    i did and do however buy sell and trade silver physically, numi US coinage too, admittedly not as much in the last year, for a few reasons......but it provides profits and at times huge profits, as any serious flipper, picker or collector that will buy and sell does to some degree..

so i am with you on your post, but but but the start, and confused with "to some it is more like beanie babies""?

but the beanie baby part....
    BEANIE BABIES ENDED IN POOF GONE, WORTHLESS !!, no cycles

silver has commodity cycles and safe haven status and industrial use and varying demand...

will silver ever do that, poof be gone of value, no.....i don't believe so....it may lower and it may gain, as we have seen in a few cycles in the last 40/45 years or so....

am i missing something here, i have read your post, and believe we are in agreement other then comparing silver to beanie babies in any way..i have many sterling silver sets, a few worth close to $100k IN COLECTOR VALUE, that only has 300 ounces in it of .925.. i have .900 silver coinage, where for example one Morgan is worth $50k ...my bullion stack will always be worth spot at current day level as it varies//.....

missing the it is like beanie babies to some...no if ya want to profit wait for the high cycle, cant say that about beanie babies...even in the worst of times that numi silver and sterling will be worth scrap spot... which i doubt will happen, but i use as example only....

anyway?... demand dictates, but no poof its gone with silver...

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    i am with you on all that, my silver is the same..sat for years and may for many years, its a core family stack worth a pretty penny, bullion alone..now i have other collections worth more, namely numismatics and art and firearms, and other desired antiquities from famous maker sterling silver sets, to rare one of a kind other..... all only valuable if the world keeps spinning, and the world is spinning cause its all still desired and valuable...
    okay
    i did and do however buy sell and trade silver physically, numi US coinage too, admittedly not as much in the last year, for a few reasons......but it provides profits and at times huge profits, as any serious flipper, picker or collector that will buy and sell does to some degree..

so i am with you on your post, but but but the start, and confused with "to some it is more like beanie babies""?

but the beanie baby part....
    BEANIE BABIES ENDED IN POOF GONE, WORTHLESS !!, no cycles

silver has commodity cycles and safe haven status and industrial use and varying demand...

will silver ever do that, poof be gone of value, no.....i don't believe so....it may lower and it may gain, as we have seen in a few cycles in the last 40/45 years or so....

am i missing something here, i have read your post, and believe we are in agreement other then comparing silver to beanie babies in any way..i have many sterling silver sets, a few worth close to $100k IN COLECTOR VALUE, that only has 300 ounces in it of .925.. i have .900 silver coinage, where for example one Morgan is worth $50k ...my bullion stack will always be worth spot at current day level as it varies//.....

missing the it is like beanie babies to some...no if ya want to profit wait for the high cycle, cant say that about beanie babies...even in the worst of times that numi silver and sterling will be worth scrap spot... which i doubt will happen, but i use as example only....

anyway?... demand dictates, but no poof its gone with silver...
    OK, I didn't mean exactly like beanie babies. I just meant that some, like myself at least, see silver more as an "investment collectible". And unlike vintage comic books, my last collecting interest, the really cool thing about gold and silver is this spot thing where it has a moving market value and where there will always be a buyer coming in close to paying for that market value +/-. That, in an of itself is one reason I am really liking new bulk silver. Numis are really more like my old comics where there are price guides but actual sales can either come in way under or over guide value. So I'm a bit wary on numi silver, and I do love it but I'd never put alot of money into it unless I was a buyer with a screaming deal (something that I'm sure you often are with your experience and connections). Anyway, yes my Beanies example was a bit off for sure and that comparison was not well thought out. Certainly PMs are not coming and going like the latest fad. Disappointed though that those Cabbage Patch Kids didn't turn out to be better investments than I thought they'd be. Just kidding, I never bought the 'kids! Didn't stamps die a brutal death? But I give numis and PMs more street cred and staying power than boring ol' stamps.

Beanie Babies and other collectible items have value only as long as someone wants them more than you. Silver and gold has real uses, even if limited uses, and so has value caused by real demand. That demand varies with market conditions and just like stocks there's times were demand is low (very low) and there's times where demand exceeds supply. Miners park their equipment if demand stays low for long periods of time and try to go b..... to the wall when times are good. But stackers of PM's can do very well at all times if they don't push for tops and bottoms and just don't follow the herd and buy high and sell low in panic attacks.

My hat is off to captainsilverton in that he's made a living at finding value where others see junk.

Quote Originally Posted by JM_Silver_Addict View Post
    Generic kilos will always bring spot when selling and rare kilos like Johnson Matthey, credit Suisse, Engelhard etc.....Will bring $5-10+ over spot. 10 ounce bars will also bring spot unless again its some rare bar which will bring well above spot. 100 ounce bars are the worst right now everyone around me pays $1-4 under spot so I stay away.
    $1-$4 per ounce under spot? I don't like 100oz bars at all but if someone were willing to sell @ $4/oz under spot I'd buy all they had and then some.
    Buy Low Sell High

Keeping it simple with the Eagles, Maples and Krugs....

Quote Originally Posted by blitzdude View Post
    $1-$4 per ounce under spot? I don't like 100oz bars at all but if someone were willing to sell @ $4/oz under spot I'd buy all they had and then some.
    My dealers and local shops pay $1-4 under spot for 100 oz bars when buying from the public and sell them for anywhere from spot to $1.50 under spot. Yeah it sounds like a good deal to buy that cheap which I have about a dozen times but when it comes time to sell it's going to suck getting way under spot......Even the big online guys are paying under spot for 100 bars.

I am now only going to buy 100 oz bars for my vintage silver bar collection. I may probably keep at least one pyramid of JM 100 oz bars just because I love the way they look stacked. I am still undecided about the kilo bars... I will talk to my main LCS and ask what their buy back policy is on those before I purchase any in the near future.

Smaller denomination coins are more liquid. If you don't need liquidity, then go for the larger bars or for gold which is more portable. I like 1 oz coins fine, because I don't intend on spending my stack all in one place. I intend on saving it for many years, and only parting with it for day to day purchases if and when the dollar stops being functional. By that point I will hopefully have spent all my cash on large purchases, and shouldn't be in a position to need to buy much. Sure you can melt the larger bars, but having the coins in a recognizeable format with a known weight is more convenient, so that's what you're paying extra for.

I don't bother with high premium coins. Those have a thinner market where you have less buyers. The purpose of precious metals is to act as money, not as collector pieces. I do like some coins that have a little premium with potential to increase over time, but those are the minority in my stack.

All in all I prefer to have a little bit of everything that was affordable to acquire so I'm covering all my bases.
    Trading fiat currency for precious metals is not an investment. Rather, this amounts to disinvestment from currency mandated for tax purposes. Gold and silver are money. Currency is merely a medium of exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStocker View Post
    OK, I didn't mean exactly like beanie babies. I just meant that some, like myself at least, see silver more as an "investment collectible". And unlike vintage comic books, my last collecting interest, the really cool thing about gold and silver is this spot thing where it has a moving market value and where there will always be a buyer coming in close to paying for that market value +/-. That, in an of itself is one reason I am really liking new bulk silver. Numis are really more like my old comics where there are price guides but actual sales can either come in way under or over guide value. So I'm a bit wary on numi silver, and I do love it but I'd never put alot of money into it unless I was a buyer with a screaming deal (something that I'm sure you often are with your experience and connections). Anyway, yes my Beanies example was a bit off for sure and that comparison was not well thought out. Certainly PMs are not coming and going like the latest fad. Disappointed though that those Cabbage Patch Kids didn't turn out to be better investments than I thought they'd be. Just kidding, I never bought the 'kids! Didn't stamps die a brutal death? But I give numis and PMs more street cred and staying power than boring ol' stamps.
    I also collect comic books, but not because I want to sell them for money. I like to read them. Same reason I invest in MTG, I like to play. I have some cards that are worth hundreds of dollars from the 90s, but I'll never sell them because they have sentimental value to me.

Having the enjoyment of collecting silver as opposed to strictly looking at it as an investment gives me the confidence not to feel like I have to worry about taking a loss or not, because I just like having it. I like having something with tangible value that is safe and protected from the financial system. I don't care what a corrupt pricing system says its valued at, because I know that the dollar only exists as a front for precious metals which are money, and I'm not interested in selling my safety net for any price denominated in unsafe currency. Since I measure my wealth in ounces, I'm not concerned about price other than what I can acquire it for.

If I only looked at it as an investment I might be more inclined to sell for a loss. And if I only looked at it as collecting I probably wouldn't allocate as much toward my stack as I ought to in order to have enough protection from the financial system.

So silver is more unique. It is like those other things people collect, but it's also much more than that. It has investment value, industrial value, and collector value. Very few things have all of those. Cards and comics have no intrinsic value beyond paper. And most cards and comics don't become more valuable unless you sit on them for 20 years and get lucky (and take good care of them). Those are collectibles that has potential for investment value, but silver has value independently of that regardless of collectibility or condition.
    Trading fiat currency for precious metals is not an investment. Rather, this amounts to disinvestment from currency mandated for tax purposes. Gold and silver are money. Currency is merely a medium of exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
    I also collect comic books, but not because I want to sell them for money. I like to read them. Same reason I invest in MTG, I like to play. I have some cards that are worth hundreds of dollars from the 90s, but I'll never sell them because they have sentimental value to me.

Having the enjoyment of collecting silver as opposed to strictly looking at it as an investment gives me the confidence not to feel like I have to worry about taking a loss or not, because I just like having it. I like having something with tangible value that is safe and protected from the financial system. I don't care what a corrupt pricing system says its valued at, because I know that the dollar only exists as a front for precious metals which are money, and I'm not interested in selling my safety net for any price denominated in unsafe currency. Since I measure my wealth in ounces, I'm not concerned about price other than what I can acquire it for.

If I only looked at it as an investment I might be more inclined to sell for a loss. And if I only looked at it as collecting I probably wouldn't allocate as much toward my stack as I ought to in order to have enough protection from the financial system.

So silver is more unique. It is like those other things people collect, but it's also much more than that. It has investment value, industrial value, and collector value. Very few things have all of those. Cards and comics have no intrinsic value beyond paper. And most cards and comics don't become more valuable unless you sit on them for 20 years and get lucky (and take good care of them). Those are collectibles that has potential for investment value, but silver has value independently of that regardless of collectibility or condition.
    I definitely agree with what you are saying about comics/cards vs silver, but you surely don't have any confidence in our financial system. I, on the other hand am not worried about it in the slightest. I know there are problems, but we've always had problems and we push on through. Just curious as to how you got to this point and why you are preparing yourself for "if and when the dollar stops being functional" as you stated in the previous post.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast