Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Volkswagen Windshield Won't Frost Because There's Silver in It

Default New Volkswagen Windshield Won't Frost Because There's Silver in It

If you own a car and you live somewhere in the world where it snows regularly, you know that going for a drive in the winter involves an annoying extra step: getting rid of a layer of vision-obscuring frost covering your windshield. Volkswagen’s new solution is to put literal silver inside the windshield. You know, the precious metal.

As the company explained in a release, the climate windscreen features a “wafer-thin electrically conductive layer of silver within the laminated glass.” When turned on, a small electric current runs through the transparent silver, helping to defrost the window. Volkswagen says the silver is better than systems that use a system of tiny wires to conduct electricity, because those can be visible in oncoming traffic.

In addition, the climate windscreen has extra filaments that prevent windshield wipers from sticking to the glass in frosty weather. Volkswagen also claims the silver blocks “up to 60 percent of the summer heat,” which can reduce the temperature inside by 15 degrees.

https://www.inverse.com/article/2694...dscreen-windsh

That is cool. But that won't effect silver price more than goldschlager affects gold. Just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmhey View Post
    That is cool. But that won't effect silver price more than goldschlager affects gold. Just my opinion!
    what will though is more and more use in an upswing economy....... little by little...
    the mining as you know of silver and in ground silver???? and how much silver gets discarded vs gold>>??, much more

never forget Bob........... not to forget silver as an industrial and semi precious metal... that is the beauty of the possible upside, ( and downside)..... it adds to the beauty if the metal.

I am sure all the other car companies will follow.....

I am going to get out my hot glue gun and cover the windshield of my Yugo with silver Eagles and see how it works!
    Should I line them up in even rows or just do a random helter skelter pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmhey View Post
    it depends on how much I can drink of it I think there is 13mg of gold in a big bottle....I have no idea of how many bottles I've consumed over the years...much less how many bottles everyone else has consumed.

I wonder how much gold was used on old gold leaf edged bibles and books?

Quote Originally Posted by b2lee View Post
    it depends on how much I can drink of it I think there is 13mg of gold in a big bottle....I have no idea of how many bottles I've consumed over the years...much less how many bottles everyone else has consumed.

I wonder how much gold was used on old gold leaf edged bibles and books?

You would have to consume 2,180 bottles to get an ounce of gold if there is 13mg per bottle

1oz = 28349.5 mg

Quote Originally Posted by Silver and Gold View Post
    You would have to consume 2,180 bottles to get an ounce of gold if there is 13mg per bottle

1oz = 28349.5 mg
    That's only if you want an avoirdupois ounce of gold. You can get into some trouble trying to pass this off as "an ounce of gold." Troy ounces come in at 31103.5 mg, so you'd need to consume 2393 bottles.
    "Winston immediately paid over the four dollars and slid the coveted thing into his pocket. What appealed to him about it was not so much its beauty as the air it seemed to possess of belonging to an age quite different from the present one..."

The Subarus have heaters built into the front windshield right below where the wipers are at, that's one of the coolest options I've seen as snow/slush builds up in that area, but it seems the intended use is to keep the wipers from sticking to the windshield.

If you don your real polarized sunglasses you can see the silver in the windows of many cars. I've always seen the silver in the back windows, and also side windows, side windows are more rare but I've noticed it becoming more common. It looks like little sprays were somehow put inside the window at uniform spaces.

This is the first I've heard of connecting the silver up to move electricity though the windows itself but being the best conductor so may as well.
    Last edited by everything1; 01-27-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Although I would never buy one of those Nazi sleds, I guess I will have to keep track of the SWR (silver to windshield ratio).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast