Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fractional Silver, what am I missing?

As far as I see it, most silver bullion coinage is fractional. Just compare to the much lower premium percent you can find with gold bullion. I don't see the 1 oz silver coin as very practical, and seems like most didn't either for part of U.S. history when the dollar was a silver coin of similar size. Dimes and quarters are most practical -- and if buying 90% common silver coins - you can get for as low a premium as the silver dollar (if not lower). Silver dollars a bit to clunky for common usage (though good as gifts) and to small for serious savings.

If one want to be most efficient with saving in silver, and you are not some school boy or poor person with just a little change -- get the big heavy bars. Or, if you trust the game, go for the ETF's, or silver pools like Kitco's. If those big bars take up to much room -- I say time for gold or platinum. (Numismatics, of course, is an entirely different matter).
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Default fractional junk used to be the bomb..now its .999 bullion, mass marketed..

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    As far as I see it, most silver bullion coinage is fractional. Just compare to the much lower premium percent you can find with gold bullion. I don't see the 1 oz silver coin as very practical, and seems like most didn't either for part of U.S. history when the dollar was a silver coin of similar size. Dimes and quarters are most practical -- and if buying 90% common silver coins - you can get for as low a premium as the silver dollar (if not lower). Silver dollars a bit to clunky for common usage (though good as gifts) and to small for serious savings.

If one want to be most efficient with saving in silver, and you are not some school boy or poor person with just a little change -- get the big heavy bars. Or, if you trust the game, go for the ETF's, or silver pools like Kitco's. If those big bars take up to much room -- I say time for gold or platinum. (Numismatics, of course, is an entirely different matter).
    ya know?, quickly and simply........any form of silver, it all has its place, personal preference is part of the game... and searching and stacking makes it an enjoyable hobby.. I love the hunt...and the newness of a new buy but most importantly is buy price point.....I will buy early coin silver utensils, sterling silver, which I only buy if I know I can flip.... but I stay away from scrap and jewelry, that is just me..i used to, but have no need too anymore.. lots of crap out there too..

now, the pool silver and paper silver via varied stocks and etf's? all good too, but of course not for all....<<stocks and etfs in metals are fairly new to me in the last few years, and its a challenge and fun in its own way...I am fortunate to have good advice on the paper game, but can almost hold my own....so paper, it is new to me and enjoyable, relatively speaking....ot one for pool silver held by others....

fractional US coinage as silver has been a great game for me over many years and continues so...as I firmly believe it can be for anyone with interest and a bit of drive and desire..... buying raw collections, of junk or ungraded unknown, and sorting and selling for profit is almost always my end game these days...

the beauty of stacking silver in fractional, be it in US or foreign coinage or .999, one can have a small fund to start, many buy coin by coin, on the bay or at shows, even LCS's..... or buy in dollar face values on up to $10 face, $25 face lots, etc etc...its a versatile way to stack on any budget..

BUT BUT BUT.....I like knowing what I own, knowing I can get at it, I know I can keep it secure, and I like varied product in my stack....imo, all is safe and sound in my safes, on my property.... family knows the rules and the content that is for sure and in my case appropriate......... call me , me!!...we all will vary..

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    ya know?, quickly and simply........any form of silver, it all has its place, personal preference is part of the game... and searching and stacking makes it an enjoyable hobby.. I love the hunt...and the newness of a new buy but most importantly is buy price point.....I will buy early coin silver utensils, sterling silver, which I only buy if I know I can flip.... but I stay away from scrap and jewelry, that is just me..i used to, but have no need too anymore.. lots of crap out there too..

now, the pool silver and paper silver via varied stocks and etf's? all good too, but of course not for all....<<stocks and etfs in metals are fairly new to me in the last few years, and its a challenge and fun in its own way...I am fortunate to have good advice on the paper game, but can almost hold my own....so paper, it is new to me and enjoyable, relatively speaking....ot one for pool silver held by others....

fractional US coinage as silver has been a great game for me over many years and continues so...as I firmly believe it can be for anyone with interest and a bit of drive and desire..... buying raw collections, of junk or ungraded unknown, and sorting and selling for profit is almost always my end game these days...

the beauty of stacking silver in fractional, be it in US or foreign coinage or .999, one can have a small fund to start, many buy coin by coin, on the bay or at shows, even LCS's..... or buy in dollar face values on up to $10 face, $25 face lots, etc etc...its a versatile way to stack on any budget..

BUT BUT BUT.....I like knowing what I own, knowing I can get at it, I know I can keep it secure, and I like varied product in my stack....imo, all is safe and sound in my safes, on my property.... family knows the rules and the content that is for sure and in my case appropriate......... call me , me!!...we all will vary..
    "A happy n' wise sailor yer is Mate!"

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaslane View Post
    "A happy n' wise sailor yer is Mate!"
    AYEEE, aye slane..... aye!.. im a trustin, sooo yer on it sirr'!

Was not posting above vs your silver savings & collecting -- it's great! It was more in reaction to one who viewed "fractional" silver as a waste. If one is to argue fractional silver is an inefficient waste, one can also argue 1 oz and even more is the same. Myself -- I have all, and actually share with many here in having most of my silver in 1 oz. But I like the fractional, real sensible -- for those who say it's not, I will reason that 1 oz is not sensible either. For everyone else -- all silver is good -- whatever you like, the more the merrier!

(And paper -- nah, that's just for short term trading, don't want to see that become Captain's thing -- or he would become "Captainpaperweight"
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    was not posting above vs your silver savings & collecting -- it's great! It was more in reaction to one who viewed "fractional" silver as a waste. If one is to argue fractional silver is an inefficient waste, one can also argue 1 oz and even more is the same. Myself -- i have all, and actually share with many here in having most of my silver in 1 oz. But i like the fractional, real sensible -- for those who say it's not, i will reason that 1 oz is not sensible either. For everyone else -- all silver is good -- whatever you like, the more the merrier!

(and paper -- nah, that's just for short term trading, don't want to see that become captain's thing -- or he would become "captainpaperweight"
    fractional silver as a buy and resell? Has ben profitable from 1985 to 2017....FAR FROM A WASTE OF EXPENDED TIMES AND CAPITAL.. Plus the culling of it to my stack, aka creme of the crop... Profits paid n=by adding numis or free bullion.
    I am not your standard bearer... And proud of it....my niche has ben a cash cow with a few ups and downs, sure.. But i was always prepared for the slow times..

I have done well with paper, learning new tricks as an old dog, and proudly so, woof woof..

Just to be a little more clear here to fractional rounds, which is the OP and my response, too much up front premium on fractional rounds.
    Topic went to 90% Constitutional Coinage- separate animal- no doubt a time tested buy, if at the right price.,,, Still never liked the smell of a bunch of em....
    use them up when I go to one dealer...

Quote Originally Posted by Mytal View Post
    Just to be a little more clear here to fractional rounds, which is the OP and my response, too much up front premium on fractional rounds.
    Topic went to 90% Constitutional Coinage- separate animal- no doubt a time tested buy, if at the right price.,,, Still never liked the smell of a bunch of em....
    use them up when I go to one dealer...
    mytal. maybe that is why the topic changed.
    i wont buy sell or trade them for the most part, i actually fell bad that folks who buy them, and pay $$$$, maybe poor income folks and they are overspending..they may need to rethink... it is what it is i suppose..

mytal. maybe that is why the topic changed.
    i wont buy sell or trade them for the most part, i actually fell bad that folks who buy them, and pay $$$$, maybe poor income folks and they are overspending..they may need to rethink... it is what it is i suppose..
    Agree, and understand, that market trends are profitable. It is , after all,,,silver. Those who have very little to buy , should save fiat=(labor $) until a full ounce
    can be obtained . YET many other things to wonder...
    Live Well* Love Much* Laugh Often

Quote Originally Posted by Mytal View Post
    Agree, and understand, that market trends are profitable. It is , after all,,,silver. Those who have very little to buy , should save fiat=(labor $) until a full ounce
    can be obtained . YET many other things to wonder...
    totally agree....or constitutional silver, when offered with low premium.. i guess we answered it... lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast