Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fractional Silver, what am I missing?

At one point, I wanted to feed the .999 fractional hunger, but I didn't want it to take up space and I didn't want to pay allot. The 100*1 gram Valcambi seemed a logical choice, they sell for about a buck a gram, and yeah I know .. not a good investment.

For a while I would round out any orders I made with a few dollars (face value) of constitutional coinage. Sure enough it added up and now I consider my fractional bug satisfied.

I will probably never stop buying fractional US coinage as long as available and the price is right. I pile dimes, quarters and half dollars. Used to be I could buy Ag below spot.

Generic Ag fractional holds no interest for me...but that's just me.
    Stacking since the late 1970's

Quote Originally Posted by Mytal View Post
    Fractional silver, what are you missing ?

Nothing, absolutely nothing.
    Some collectors collect fractional libertads to create complete bullion sets. but to buy fractional silver rounds to hold long term.... No...
    If the market is hot for these you need to buy cheap and resell quick... Hot potatoes can go cold.
    I'll admit...I do buy 1/2 oz rounds when I find them- on sale, and usually only the Sunshine Mint rounds even then (because of the decoder mark). I had a dealer tell me once that if it's rounds you are selling, he has to go through them one by one. Also, I like to stick to .999+ silver...call me fussy!

The 40% Kennedy halves can be found at spot often from what I have seen. They represent 0.147 troy ounces of silver for each coin. Why pay a premium for a quarter ounce generic round when everyone recognizes a 40% Kennedy half dollar?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorHortengle View Post
    The 40% Kennedy halves can be found at spot often from what I have seen. They represent 0.147 troy ounces of silver for each coin. Why pay a premium for a quarter ounce generic round when everyone recognizes a 40% Kennedy half dollar?
    http://www.coinflation.com/coins/196...lar-Value.html
    $2.5274

Too little to store that (much) metal

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorHortengle View Post
    i have never gotten spot for them when i sold them. ever! more like 20% under at best.the cost to refine is more because of an extra step in the process. the only way i temporarily stack them is if i get them free from bank roll searching. jmho

I felt the same way at first. I like mercury dimes ,the most, in constitutional coinage. It's about 85% of my change. I also sell on the bay. I also buy. Very rarely you can get 1/10 rounds cheap. To me, cheap is 1/10 th retail of an eagle. You can get them by the 5 oz roll. Often you can immediately flip them for 100% profit in 12 lots. I use them as gifts. I love the Libertad tenths. I got 2 oz for about 100. After a few years they sell for 15 bucks a piece. 24k mintage. I like the oz Libertad and 2 oz. Right time of year they only cost a buck over eagle.

Mercury dimes and even the 64 Roosevelt's... Buying Commons and shoving them in a bag is easy. One time I got maples and milk spot problems. I no worries.... Fingerprints, toning, etc. I also find mercury dimes interesting buying lots on the bay from individuals with pictures. Rarely, but occasionally, they will have some cherries in with the dogs ,but people who buy 75 or 78 from some random guy with 99% rating usually have different ideas. But once in awhile there will be 10 coins in a lot like that, that can retail in the 4 to 6 range. Often if I just want 30 bucks I will look for the cherries and list it up with fancy superlatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    I will probably never stop buying fractional US coinage as long as available and the price is right. I pile dimes, quarters and half dollars. Used to be I could buy Ag below spot.

Generic Ag fractional holds no interest for me...but that's just me.
    I remember those under spot days fondly but now 90% has one of the highest premiums out there. Just a function of supply and demand.
    Comments in my posts are my personal opinions and should not be considered investment advice. As always do your own due diligence (DYODD).

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstacker View Post
    I remember those under spot days fondly but now 90% has one of the highest premiums out there. Just a function of supply and demand.
    Yes when I started it was .999 bullion or nothing. Luckily I got on the 90% train before it left the station. 90% seems to have a big premium in my area.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast