Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fractional Silver, what am I missing?

Default Fractional Silver, what am I missing?

I see many posts about folks buying 1/10 silver rounds and also 1/4 Noah's ark. Unless I am missing something they seem grossly overpriced. 5 Noah's ark in 1/4 size is almost $8. You can get an ounce of something else for under $19...am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougandbeth View Post
    I see many posts about folks buying 1/10 silver rounds and also 1/4 Noah's ark. Unless I am missing something they seem grossly overpriced. 5 Noah's ark in 1/4 size is almost $8. You can get an ounce of something else for under $19...am I missing something?
    Low mintage (for the coins), but I still don't think it's worth it. Low mintage means nothing without demand and you're not getting much silver either, so to me it's a lose/lose. Some people like the 1/10 rounds to use in a SHTF situation or to just have smaller increments of silver.

JMHO
    Last edited by Taphandle; 01-19-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    Take it easy-n-at,
    Jeff

I've always thought of fractional silver as a marketing ploy....well...modern fractional that is. You won't find a bigger lover of Mercury Dimes than I....and silver dimes are very reasonably priced. I can't see over paying for 1/10th ounce anything when I can go down to the LCS and buy more dimes than I can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by b2lee View Post
    I've always thought of fractional silver as a marketing ploy....well...modern fractional that is. You won't find a bigger lover of Mercury Dimes than I....and silver dimes are very reasonably priced. I can't see over paying for 1/10th ounce anything when I can go down to the LCS and buy more dimes than I can afford.
    Even with dimes or 90% I see it as so much more expensive. Maybe I don't understand something

If you are wanting to add some fractional silver to your stack 90% "junk silver" is probably your best option when compared to the premiums on 1/10, 1/4, and 1/2 oz .999 silver rounds.
    Comments in my posts are my personal opinions and should not be considered investment advice. As always do your own due diligence (DYODD).

Smallest I buy in fractional is 1/2 oz for the very reason you mention above. The idea is that if silver ever goes ballistic, people will be looking to buy less than a full ounce and you will make back your extra premium and then some. The proof is still "cooking in the pudding" Matie.....don't hold yer breath! - C.J. Slane

Quote Originally Posted by Taphandle View Post
    Low mintage (for the coins), but I still don't think it's worth it. Low mintage means nothing without demand and you're not getting much silver either, so to me it's a lose/lose. Some people like the 1/10 rounds to use in a SHTF situation or to just have smaller increments of silver.

JMHO
    and that is why god made mercury dimes. the smallest ag i ever get is a 1 ozt round or coin. anything under 1 ozt is in either usa constitutional coinage or occasionally foreign coinage if i stumble across it for considerably less than melt value. i just cant see paying premiums on fractional ag otherwise. but then, it all boils down to what someone likes, the intrinsic value to oneself and ones minds eye, and of course the amount of available funds for such purchase. jmho
    Last edited by maxwellsilverhammer; 01-19-2017 at 06:35 PM.

I'd never buy anything under one oz. of silver. I'm not worried about a SHTF scenario. I do however understand the "cuteness" of a small round or coin, and I would be willing to spend a bit more, like 10% over the one oz. price for some 1/10 just for the novelty of the smaller item. However, I do respect the collector's market and if collectors are bidding up these small coins in the secondary market then more power to them. The collector's market is a large and respectful bunch, so never count them out, but for me at these prices, no I wouldn't go near fractional silver.

How are you supposed to make change in the era of Assless Chaps and guys wearing leather driving around motorcycles and cars with people strapped to the hoods asking for Guzzoline?

Fractional silver, what are you missing ?

Nothing, absolutely nothing.
    Some collectors collect fractional libertads to create complete bullion sets. but to buy fractional silver rounds to hold long term.... No...
    If the market is hot for these you need to buy cheap and resell quick... Hot potatoes can go cold.
    Last edited by Mytal; 01-19-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast