Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stack to stack or do you have a method to your madness

Great commnent from Josh. If your a beginning stacker their is nothing wrong with having some 40%, some people love the 40%, it usually sells at price = melt, sometimes a little cheaper. One of my LCS said only preppers like 40%. Learning about collecting and numismatics will make your trips to the LCS, maybe more lucrative. My tendency is to save up for bigger buys when the price is better. I still hit the LCS, since I have a thing for old 1 oz. bars, and they sometimes have them.

I binge stacked for 2,5 years starting with hoarding every kind of silver coins/bar I could get my hands on for the right price.
    The last 6 months I was buying collectible old bars only....Then I just stopped! That was back in september 2016...haven't bought anything physical since!

Basic stack is done and completed for me!
    I have only 5% left to buy according to my plan, that cash will have to come from paper profits at the time the metals turn around once more....I can wait

Not planning to sell anything the next 20 years

yes, face for 40% ag is very fine. face for 35% is also very fine as it is actually a better bargain, and face for 90% even better as ususally all from the same source or sources... bank tellers or coin counting machines. yep!
    Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
    I have small stack of 40% JFK halves, just paid face for them, who would pass that up?

My method... stack deep, most everything. It's a family tradition. And my hedge to my digital retirement funds investments.

No I plan on stacking for retirement not selling anytime soon. Last time I sold it was to help pay for my house and it was nice that it was there. Now I'm stacking to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    40%...forget about it... just my opinion...i may buy 40% JFK's, and foreign coin with silver content, but most all are resold, still..... many reasons we stack silver, 40% is not one of them i DO NOT want to be at "end game" with it in my hands as my stash.... um, not that i have an end game.... but if so????, when selling, it has always been advantageous to have recognizable, desired coins, rounds, bars, etc etc etc..... i want pure .999 or .900, as recognizable as possible to MOST folks in my stack.... aka Morgans, Peace Dollars, .900 US coinage, known bullion, fractionals too of .999.... in the event of extreme need, i have a few large, heavy bars of silver!! ha, a few....

silver is a hedge, hold it till GSR is in your favor to exchange for GOLD... gold is a mighty tree...

madness?, maybe so, the stack i have built with help from prior gens may be madness...numismatics in my life? yes stack them too, that is where the real money daily is, stack numi's?...oh you bet, especially if ya expect no crisis....

stack and cull and buy sell and trade?...as much as i can in the moment now, in the past, and i hope continuously in the future.... that should be in ones plan, meaning making profits along the way, let alone the up-culling it provides if you are active....

so many angles to play physical..
    I have a few 40%, thanks to gifts from the captain here!

Wouldn't really buy it myself, however, it's lack of popularity allows an entry point for numismatics because plenty of mint products are affordable and getting a feeling for levels of mint perfection didn't have to be learned high stakes.

I also buy something... Hate to leave empty handed. Lately however i mostly shop on the internet and don't really worry about it because it's all post payroll taxes earnings. Occasionally, I boost my booty by winning at horses. Right now I lose at horses, but just. Often losing in the single digit percent range but do have positive meets. This year I bet about 1000 at Saratoga and won 320 for that period. But other times I will lose 80 bucks, whatever. Anyway, when I do win I usually go buy some silver. Meaning I could bet$20 bucks on a particular day and win a few hundred and have 5 oz of silver and money left to play.

By the way being a grand isn't betting a grand really. If I bet 10 dollars on the 5 and it plays 42. Then I make several plays for 42 and they return 26 and I bet that.....

In.......out

Above I walked in with 10$ bet$78 and netted 35$. So if i lose 10% my average leave would be 9. If 35 exists, a lot of days you leave empty handed.....
    Last edited by Bobmhey; 11-30-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Even those who don't plan on ever selling should learn how to do so. Picture your entire stash on the table. Now grab 10% of that and Chuck it on the trash. That's what it looks like to sell back to a LCS. They have plenty of sources for cheap bullion, stackers should not be one of them.

As far as buying strategy goes i do my best to make most of my purchases things that are cheap and i don't particularly like. I'm currently dumping a good amount of silver to buy platinum bars. The the fact that i have plain vanilla generic bullion makes it easy to sell, no emotional attachment to get in the way. Even if what you are buying is 50% generic stuff, little by little the quality ratio creeps up as you sell the crap and the nice pieces stay.

And if you haven't figured out how to buy generic bullion for .50 over spot and sell it for .50 over spot, you really owe it to your stash to figure it out.

When silver dropped into the 16.20s I held my nose and bought some secondary 10 oz bars from xempA they came in today and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. Yay! for cheap silver.
    Comments in my posts are my personal opinions and should not be considered investment advice. As always do your own due diligence (DYODD).

I bought a lot of 40% in the beginning because I like the size of the half. However, once you run out of space that 40% looks less attractive. There's no problem selling it on auction sites. It's worth whatever silver is in it.

I buy whatever I like, and get rid of the rest. Simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    Even those who don't plan on ever selling should learn how to do so. Picture your entire stash on the table. Now grab 10% of that and Chuck it on the trash. That's what it looks like to sell back to a LCS. They have plenty of sources for cheap bullion, stackers should not be one of them.

As far as buying strategy goes i do my best to make most of my purchases things that are cheap and i don't particularly like. I'm currently dumping a good amount of silver to buy platinum bars. The the fact that i have plain vanilla generic bullion makes it easy to sell, no emotional attachment to get in the way. Even if what you are buying is 50% generic stuff, little by little the quality ratio creeps up as you sell the crap and the nice pieces stay.

And if you haven't figured out how to buy generic bullion for .50 over spot and sell it for .50 over spot, you really owe it to your stash to figure it out.
    I really like my favorite LCS although I rarely sell silver. The last I had sold to him I doubled my money. I expect him to make a profit...it's what keeps his doors open for business.

And yes, I prefer selling and buying from individuals when the price is right. I value my time and if the profit is in my favor I don't mind his cut of the profit.

Think it out...an honest LCS is entitled to a fair profit...or he will soon be out of business.
    Stacking since the late 1970's

Maybe I'm boring, but I stick to recognizable government issued coins. ASEs to be exact. I buy other things as well, but I never count that towards my core stack. I try to stay disciplined to grow my stack to a goal I've set, and when that milestone is achieved I will consider playing the GSR with anything I have accumulated above and beyond that core. It's a multi-year plan, but it's a peek into my madness.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast