Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stack to stack or do you have a method to your madness

Cool Stack to stack or do you have a method to your madness

I stack all silver as much as I can when I can. That mean .999 90% numis I also stack 40%. I go to my LCS once a week to see what he has it's a smaller but nice shop and I always buy something. Last week he had one generic round and a bag of dimes so I bought what I could. The reason I ask is that I mentioned on another site that I bought 40% a few weeks ago because that is all he had and you would have thought I committed a crime. I buy what he has I enjoy stacking as long as its silver but I couldn't believe how many people said they would have left and come back another week. I just feel if I have money and he has any type of silver I buy. Whats your opinion on this just curios to hear.

There's method to my madness, for sure. I tend to stack tings that I know (or think I know) will sell for more premium in the future. For example, I went big on the Zombucks set, and recently sold most of them when silver hit $20/oz. I also sold a lot of my generic ASE's and CML's. (I probably shouldn't call them generic, but that's how they feel to me.) Anyway, I plan to hopefully re-buy cheaper. I realized just stacking and not selling is missing potential opportunities. I got lucky and bought a bunch at the lowest possible price when it was at the $13's, so I decided, hell, 50% profit isn't too bad. Plus the Zombucks carried an extra premium on eBay, just like Perth stuff would. But back to your question.... I try to buy things that don't carry a premium when they are introduced, but might carry a premium later due to their scarcity. I still buy ASE's and CML's, etc... because they are easy to sell..., But I try to focus on collector sets that could potentially net higher returns. AND I don't forget to sell. This recent jump to $20 was a nice bump for me. I almost thought I screwed up and sold too soon, especially with the elections, but fortunately I was proven right and might just get the chance to re-buy at previous prices. It's always a gamble, but for sure I still always hold a core stack that is waiting for the moon.

I only buy Silver dollars..

Silver Eagles
    Britannia
    Kookaburra
    Maples

I avoid LCS since they charge me 9% Sales tax..

My goal is to trade 1800 Silver dollars for 1 house. Most people stack like others buys baseball cards and comic magazines never knowing when to sell. And when they die, people find their hoard many years later hidden in the house they used to own.

In the past, I have not bought every time I visited my LCS. I would walk out if he didn't have what I wanted. But, recently, I decided I would stop doing that. I think I'll buy something small at a minimum. For example, maybe at least a Peace Dollar, as the LCS always has those. I don't usually buy US silver dollars because the premium is high. But, if I buy just one every time I visit and the LCS doesn't have what I'm looking for, I can swallow a higher premium on a smaller buy, and gradually build up a stack of some coins I like but never buy.

Regarding what I'm looking for: I have detailed plans for a diverse stack 3 years out. I have set intermediate goals along the way in case spot goes too high too soon, and I have to abandon my plan...at least I will have achieved those intermediate goals.

But, i don't buy anything he has anymore. My buy must fit into my plan. And, I must feel good walking out the door. I never want to walk out feeling like I spent too much, or bought the wrong thing. The more I learn, and the longer I do this, the less I ever second guess my purchases. I haven't second guessed a purchase in a long time.

At one point, 40% was in my plan (lowest premium, with a very low sell-back-loss seemed like a no brainer...like generic rounds but with government backing). But now 40% is not in my plan. I liked it when I bought it, and I'm glad I have what I have. But now I don't buy anymore. Maybe I will in the future, though. The fun of this hobby is in remaking my plan every so often.
    Last edited by Dmitri; 11-29-2016 at 02:02 AM.

What's your end game? Do you plan to sell when the price goes up, or just hoard it? Next time your in his shop, ask what his buy back rates are. Phone around a few different coin shops too. I have sold very little 40% but know dealers don't like it and won't offer much. Personally I stick to tubes of 1oz rounds. Easy to store and easy to sell.
    Utah, Get Me Two!

40%...forget about it... just my opinion...i may buy 40% JFK's, and foreign coin with silver content, but most all are resold, still..... many reasons we stack silver, 40% is not one of them i DO NOT want to be at "end game" with it in my hands as my stash.... um, not that i have an end game.... but if so????, when selling, it has always been advantageous to have recognizable, desired coins, rounds, bars, etc etc etc..... i want pure .999 or .900, as recognizable as possible to MOST folks in my stack.... aka Morgans, Peace Dollars, .900 US coinage, known bullion, fractionals too of .999.... in the event of extreme need, i have a few large, heavy bars of silver!! ha, a few....

silver is a hedge, hold it till GSR is in your favor to exchange for GOLD... gold is a mighty tree...

madness?, maybe so, the stack i have built with help from prior gens may be madness...numismatics in my life? yes stack them too, that is where the real money daily is, stack numi's?...oh you bet, especially if ya expect no crisis....

stack and cull and buy sell and trade?...as much as i can in the moment now, in the past, and i hope continuously in the future.... that should be in ones plan, meaning making profits along the way, let alone the up-culling it provides if you are active....

so many angles to play physical..

I have small stack of 40% JFK halves, just paid face for them, who would pass that up?

My method... stack deep, most everything. It's a family tradition. And my hedge to my digital retirement funds investments.
    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
    I have small stack of 40% JFK halves, just paid face for them, who would pass that up?

My method... stack deep, most everything. It's a family tradition. And my hedge to my digital retirement funds investments.
    fair enough.. we all work it a bit different....

Mine is evolution in progress constantly changing with my situation in life. At this moment I stack to flip specific items as well as stacking as much cheap .999 generic silver to GSR swap in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by VVS1MAN View Post
    I stack all silver as much as I can when I can. That mean .999 90% numis I also stack 40%. I go to my LCS once a week to see what he has it's a smaller but nice shop and I always buy something. Last week he had one generic round and a bag of dimes so I bought what I could. The reason I ask is that I mentioned on another site that I bought 40% a few weeks ago because that is all he had and you would have thought I committed a crime. I buy what he has I enjoy stacking as long as its silver but I couldn't believe how many people said they would have left and come back another week. I just feel if I have money and he has any type of silver I buy. Whats your opinion on this just curios to hear.
    Dollar average buying in very small, regular purchases is fine with me. I do it too for the most part. But, with any substantial purchase (individual defined) I never veer from the "Buy" and "Sell" cycles. Over the years, this has proven very profitable for me. If you follow the rules of the "Cycles" method over a period of time, say 8-10 years, you will see that it works and the longer you follow it, the lower your average stack price will get, which of course means ever more profitable selling. But, the tiny, more frequent purchases is part of the fun! -Captain Joshua Slane
    Last edited by joshuaslane; 11-29-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast