Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1317181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Platinum is Cheap !!! Who's Buying

Can we hope that it is rebasing at around 905-909? If so, reasonable to start building position here I think.

The gold - platinum spread continues to grow -- now at a record $420/oz.

For those who missed out on the sub $1200 gold levels (I believe never to return) - -you can still get platinum at sub $1000.

Given recent history, one may think platinum will never be as valuable as gold again -- however considering the history, and the place both elements have in our minds (such as their hierarchy when used in ratings) - not to mention how common they are and unique factors such as density -- it's hard to imagine platinum will always be considered less valuable then gold.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    The gold - platinum spread continues to grow -- now at a record $420/oz.

For those who missed out on the sub $1200 gold levels (I believe never to return) - -you can still get platinum at sub $1000.

Given recent history, one may think platinum will never be as valuable as gold again -- however considering the history, and the place both elements have in our minds (such as their hierarchy when used in ratings) - not to mention how common they are and unique factors such as density -- it's hard to imagine platinum will always be considered less valuable then gold.
    Pt might do the same as silver did compared to gold, record high ratios due to less future demand until below production cost?
    From what I know is that Pt resources are much rarer than gold and refining it to coins is way more costly.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSilver View Post
    Pt might do the same as silver did compared to gold, record high ratios due to less future demand until below production cost?
    From what I know is that Pt resources are much rarer than gold and refining it to coins is way more costly.

It has already done that --now at record lows. Ratio is now below 0.70 -- the lowest EVER looking back, see 46 year chart:

http://www.kitco.com/commentaries/20...ld-Ratios.html

Historically, platinum to gold is most common at the 1.25 to 1 ratio, it's also what is still popularly believed (that plat is worth somewhat more then gold).

Nobody can really know about supply and demand of the future. However, we can play the odds based on past patterns, and also basic facts such as cost of mining, and how common it is to find, and also current geopolitics. (Consider what's happening where most platinum is mined). Sure -- plat to gold ratio can fall even further. However, given the amount of of gold saved by central banks (not to mention the number of people trusting in fraud digital gold), I do believe should the powers that be feel the need to suppress gold, it can be done far easier then to suppress current price of platinum. Don't want to bash gold (it's by far my largest PM holding), just that those into PM's should remember that given future uncertainty, diversity is key to security in all. Diversify in metals now. As one who likes buying low (and not a big fan of fiat currency) -- I can't see a better time to buy platinum then now.

I was a gold bug when au was under 1200 -- now with plat at under 1000, and gold over 1300 -- I'm a "platinum bug". I find it telling that when platinum was priced far higher then gold -- this section of the forum received far more interest then it does now, with perhaps I alone responsible for half of new posts! Guess others need to play the losers so I can keep winning?
    Last edited by motocat; 04-16-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

H.L. Mencken

It has already done that --now at record lows. Ratio is now below 0.70 -- the lowest EVER looking back, see 46 year chart:

http://www.kitco.com/commentaries/20...ld-Ratios.html

Historically, platinum to gold is most common at the 1.25 to 1 ratio, it's also what is still popularly believed (that plat is worth somewhat more then gold).

Nobody can really know about supply and demand of the future. However, we can play the odds based on past patterns, and also basic facts such as cost of mining, and how common it is to find, and also current geopolitics. (Consider what's happening where most platinum is mined). Sure -- plat to gold ratio can fall even further. However, given the amount of of gold saved by central banks (not to mention the number of people trusting in fraud digital gold), I do believe should the powers that be feel the need to suppress gold, it can be done far easier then to suppress current price of platinum. Don't want to bash gold (it's by far my largest PM holding), just that those into PM's should remember that given future uncertainty, diversity is key to security in all. Diversify in metals now. As one who likes buying low (and not a big fan of fiat currency) -- I can't see a better time to buy platinum then now.

I was a gold bug when au was under 1200 -- now with plat at under 1000, and gold over 1300 -- I'm a "platinum bug". I find it telling that when platinum was priced far higher then gold -- this section of the forum received far more interest then it does now, with perhaps I alone responsible for half of new posts! Guess others need to play the losers so I can keep winning?
    You're not alone!
    About a year ago I would have had to shell out 1400 euro for one PML, got one last October for 960 euro....premium is about 6x higher compared to gold which puts many off.
    I just had to have one, to add to the stack...you know how that feels I think, that urge.

I regularly check Pt coin prices and availability in the online shops, they do get bought! Just not nearly as many as gold versions.
    Liquidity is very low compared to gold or silver, that is what I see......that is what is withholding me from going all out into Pt.
    In case my stock plan works out I might get one more "for free" to cut the DCA in half.

When I see someone willing to sell for near spot, I will bite too just like I did for the 1/2 Roo I got...Too good to pass up.

You're not alone!
    About a year ago I would have had to shell out 1400 euro for one PML, got one last October for 960 euro....premium is about 6x higher compared to gold which puts many off.
    I just had to have one, to add to the stack...you know how that feels I think, that urge.

I regularly check Pt coin prices and availability in the online shops, they do get bought! Just not nearly as many as gold versions.
    Liquidity is very low compared to gold or silver, that is what I see......that is what is withholding me from going all out into Pt.
    In case my stock plan works out I might get one more "for free" to cut the DCA in half.

When I see someone willing to sell for near spot, I will bite too just like I did for the 1/2 Roo I got...Too good to pass up.
    I've been following the PM market for some time -- and almost always am able to get platinum for a percent premium more comparable to gold then to silver - so don't get how you came up with "6x" higher then gold. It's actually one observation that led me to save in platinum: on alternative to silver that was easier to store and travel with AND with buy-sell spreads (by percent) better then one can typically find with silver bullion. Now Rhodium -- that's a metal with high premiums that kept me from getting in large quantity (but now I can only wish I got more!).

I agree it's less liquid than gold (gold is the best for that) -- though most dealers will trade plat, including my local, and there is always E-bay and other methods to make it easy to find buyers. I will always keep gold as the most basic form of physical savings -- however I really see more future for platinum as bullion and in jewelry-- and don't really understand why more PM stackers don't at least get some platinum. There are also some really nice bullion platinum coins.

H.L. Mencken

I've been following the PM market for some time -- and almost always am able to get platinum for a percent premium more comparable to gold then to silver - so don't get how you came up with "6x" higher then gold. It's actually one observation that led me to save in platinum: on alternative to silver that was easier to store and travel with AND with buy-sell spreads (by percent) better then one can typically find with silver bullion. Now Rhodium -- that's a metal with high premiums that kept me from getting in large quantity (but now I can only wish I got more!).

I agree it's less liquid than gold (gold is the best for that) -- though most dealers will trade plat, including my local, and there is always E-bay and other methods to make it easy to find buyers. I will always keep gold as the most basic form of physical savings -- however I really see more future for platinum as bullion and in jewelry-- and don't really understand why more PM stackers don't at least get some platinum. There are also some really nice bullion platinum coins.
    My regular online shop:
    $930 spot Pt = 750 euro.
    Coin price = 925
    Premium = 175 euro
    Relative premium of selling price = 19%

$1340 spot Au = 1080 euro
    Coin price = 1130 euro
    Premium = 50 euro
    Relative premium of selling price = 4.4%

175/50 = 3.5x higher premium for Pt coin.
    19/4.4 = 4.3x higher premium for Pt coin.

You are right, I overestimated that.
    It used to be much higher a while back 1000 euro spot Pt and coins selling price 1350 euro

My regular online shop:
    $930 spot Pt = 750 euro.
    Coin price = 925
    Premium = 175 euro
    Relative premium of selling price = 19%

$1340 spot Au = 1080 euro
    Coin price = 1130 euro
    Premium = 50 euro
    Relative premium of selling price = 4.4%

175/50 = 3.5x higher premium for Pt coin.
    19/4.4 = 4.3x higher premium for Pt coin.
    Don't know who your "regular online shop" is -- but if you want to buy platinum for a better price -- RIGHT HERE AT KITCO you can find 1 oz platinum bullion for only 3.8% over spot -- better then you are getting gold for! And it's not only kitco you can get such deals -- the big A also has, many others, some with even better sales going on if you have time to look around. I'm thinking you may be justifying not getting more into platinum by finding places that give you bad prices -- it's the same thing many digit pushers will do when you talk to them about getting/using physical. Guess as with most men, it's more about ego then holding to solid facts?

I've been able to get almost all my platinum, including eagles, for about $50 over spot. With gold, it's ranged from $20-$80 over -- so one can say in regards to premium efficiency -- platinum is a close 2nd to gold - -with silver lagging far behind.

NOTE -- Just realized that DutchSilver may be someplace in Europe where they tax platinum bullion but not gold bullion -- can that be the reason for finding the premiums he reports - -taxes? If I was in Britain -- I to would only save in the gold bullion they consider money (such as sovereigns) so as not to worry about the taxman...
    Last edited by motocat; 04-18-2018 at 12:54 PM.

H.L. Mencken

Don't know who your "regular online shop" is -- but if you want to buy platinum for a better price -- RIGHT HERE AT KITCO you can find 1 oz platinum bullion for only 3.8% over spot -- better then you are getting gold for! And it's not only kitco you can get such deals -- the big A also has, many others, some with even better sales going on if you have time to look around. I'm thinking you may be justifying not getting more into platinum by finding places that give you bad prices -- it's the same thing many digit pushers will do when you talk to them about getting/using physical. Guess as with most men, it's more about ego then holding to solid facts?

I've been able to get almost all my platinum, including eagles, for about $50 over spot. With gold, it's ranged from $20-$80 over -- so one can say in regards to premium efficiency -- platinum is a close 2nd to gold - -with silver lagging far behind.

NOTE -- Just realized that DutchSilver may be someplace in Europe where they tax platinum bullion but not gold bullion -- can that be the reason for finding the premiums he reports - -taxes? If I was in Britain -- I to would only save in the gold bullion they consider money (such as sovereigns) so as not to worry about the taxman...
    the only problem i have with the kitco prices is that they always charge considerably higher shipping fees than most of the other online dealers who ship for free for the most part. otherwise i would shop here regularly. i do not see them changing things any time soon regarding shipping fees/

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    the only problem i have with the kitco prices is that they always charge considerably higher shipping fees than most of the other online dealers who ship for free for the most part. otherwise i would shop here regularly. i do not see them changing things any time soon regarding shipping fees/
    100% agree. They are actually rather minor -- however just seems a nuisance -- has actually also deterred me from using them more often. Surely they must be aware of this? On a $5,000 purchase -- they will only charge $20 more for insurance (free shipping at that amount) -- why keep so many from doing business with you over a paltry $20 that you can slip into the price of the bullion? Hope they are listening to people like us-- would really like to see them do better given all their focus on media (including this forum) that I appreciate, and I believe they can if only some minor change in business.

H.L. Mencken