Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1418192021222324

Thread: Platinum is Cheap !!! Who's Buying

So why buy palladium now if you manufacture catalytic converters, right? Wasn't the price advantage of palladium the cause for it's popularity over platinum in the 1st place? Aren't you now paying equal or even more money for an inferior product by buying palladium? Isn't this like a Dodge now costing more than a Toyota lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Euroscope View Post
    So why buy palladium now if you manufacture catalytic converters, right? Wasn't the price advantage of palladium the cause for it's popularity over platinum in the 1st place? Aren't you now paying equal or even more money for an inferior product by buying palladium? Isn't this like a Dodge now costing more than a Toyota lol?
    Yes, they can retool to use platinum instead of palladium for the catalyst. However, that can't happen overnight. I believe these manufacturers still think that long term -- palladium will remain cheaper then platinum. If the present value of palladium remains higher then platinum for some time, retooling will happen, not even considering the better utility of platinum as a catalyst. Which is why I would never buy palladium above cost of platinum -- except for some short term paper plays. As a long term stacker who also likes PM various bullion coins, no way palladium over platinum.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    100% agree. They are actually rather minor -- however just seems a nuisance -- has actually also deterred me from using them more often. Surely they must be aware of this? On a $5,000 purchase -- they will only charge $20 more for insurance (free shipping at that amount) -- why keep so many from doing business with you over a paltry $20 that you can slip into the price of the bullion? Hope they are listening to people like us-- would really like to see them do better given all their focus on media (including this forum) that I appreciate, and I believe they can if only some minor change in business.
    agreed, absolutely on the same page. lets hope someone in an executive decision making position hears us.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE PLATINUM PRICE TODAY? Was about to get the champagne out and then it got destroyed. Russia sanction fears and then no fears? Bloody irritating whatever the 'reason', MMs.

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    Yes, they can retool to use platinum instead of palladium for the catalyst. However, that can't happen overnight. I believe these manufacturers still think that long term -- palladium will remain cheaper then platinum. If the present value of palladium remains higher then platinum for some time, retooling will happen, not even considering the better utility of platinum as a catalyst. Which is why I would never buy palladium above cost of platinum -- except for some short term paper plays. As a long term stacker who also likes PM various bullion coins, no way palladium over platinum.
    Thanks for the reply, I’m glad that I was right, I wasn’t sure if there was some other factor that might cause palladium to be better suited towards gas engines, and platinum better suited towards diesel. It seems like a true gambler then would choose platinum right now and then cross their fingers that one day it is equal to gold again, then swap. You would have to be pretty patient though!! Sitting on platinum for a very long time would definitely be less of a pain than sitting on silver!! Silver’s bulkiness becomes a problem after awhile. I couldn’t imagine stacking copper lol.

knife has fallen to $900/ oz . . .that's a buy level.